Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

Great Western Road 1980

You're right. I enjoyed the women with their hats on leaving the St Mary's cathedral. :-)

1980?It seems a hundred years ago.Banks were still banks and not Costa coffee houses,churches still well attended places of worship and not Wetherspoons.Cigarettes still prominently advertised,no chewing gum or too much litter visible on the pavements,and the Grosvenor Cinema showing "The Black Hole!"And when you came out of the matinee showing of that,going next door to Granada to rent your telly as many did.Women and men wearing hats,and their Sunday best,cars that look like cars that someone designed with individuality,and not the mass computer generated designs of today,which you would be hard pressed to name.Buildings still sooty from before the smokeless fuels act,but about to get a spring clean in the ensuing couple of years.No shell suits or,tracky bottoms.Individual shops before the mass outlets strangled the life out of them.People walking down Byres Rd. looking and talking to each other, not doing the zombie,staring in their phone walk of the dead.Children dressed appropriately and not like M.T.V.stars,and looking interested in their surroundings.Half the number of cars on the road.Lorries that were a quarter of the size of todays' juggernauts that shake the life out of surrounding buildings.Cars towing caravans with G.B.plates on the back,proudly declaring their nationality on "foreign"holidays.The Botanic Gardens looking immaculate on the rare sunny day of filming,and park benches full of people chatting and interacting  and having a pokey hat,and ladies searching in their handbags for their lipstick ,and not to retrieve their" i "phone so they could speak to their friends,because guess what,they were sitting next to them,wait for it,chatting,not wishing they had used a bigger font for their txt catchup.

Ah,I could go on,but the nostalgia is overwhelming,and the pull of today is so alluring...........not!

Agree with you so much on those cars, willie. The cars these days are pretty boring. However, I've got to tell you that I can't get either up nor down Byres Road for bumping into the locals. They're still a shower of blethers.  Not a lot of hats about right enough. :)

I know what you mean Pat.It's a charming wee film,and whilst the sun didn't always shine,and not everyones' eggs had double yokes,it did seem a lot more gentle and old fashioned,but in a good way.

Can I just add that you look great in the pic.at the Barrows.

x

Aw, thanks, willie. :-) We had a good day out. Another place that has changed but still plenty of tacky tat about and plenty of banter.

I love your description, Wills and it is certainly a picture I remember.... Mind you, I don't mind not having to trudge to the phone box with pennies to press button A and button B to make a call.... and the height of noo vell cusine was a Berni Inn... :lol:

Did you ever get to meet Berni? He did a mean gammon slice topped with a pineapple ring don't you think?Wasn't it great to use those old red "winchin boxes" on a cold Glasgow night,and wasn't it amazing no-one vandalised the telephone directories?But you are right,it was always a pest trying to find a working phone.Sometimes you'd be speaking too long,and you'd get the fright of your life seeing a gargoyle face pressed against the glass panes outside,mouthing "hurry up"with a gumsy grin.