Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

The Election

There's going to be masses of coverage by the media in the run up to the election. You would think they would at least take the trouble to discuss policy. Not Paxman – I missed him interviewing Cameron but watched his with Miliband. More interested in insulting him and having a go at his geekiness and talk about anything important. Ludicrous.

I thought Paxman was vicious - and not in a good way. (Mind you, I'd love to see him interview Natlee from the Greens.. dear oh dear.. :rolleyes:)

To be honest, I thought they were both pretty rubbish. I would love to believe in Mililband but it just isn't happen, babes.....

Meanwhile, I am getting pelters for anything that comes out of Alex Salmond's gub and for Scotland sabotaging England's chances at the Six Nations.... and I thought they wanted us to stay:) Well, they do, as long as we shut up and dae as wur telt. Now the SNP are arriving at Westminster, folks are getting mighty het up about it. Bring it on, I say... but can we leave Russell brand out of it, puleez!

Looks like we're off. Paddy Ashdown warning about SNP going down to burn Westminster. He shouldn't put ideas into people's heads.

A vile report by Alan Cochrane in The Telegraph – on the attack on democracy by Salmond and Sturgeon. I laughed at his accusation of braggadacio – he's obviously unfamiliar with the concept of gallus. lol

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/11495368/Labour-is-set-to-lose-Scotland-and-the-Union-is-in-peril-again.html

Cameron believes that people like zero hours contracts. Bizarre.

I really like Leanne Wood – very calm and positive. C'mon the minions.

I just can't wait for the big debate on Thursday.... :rolleyes:

It'll be interesting. I think the Greens are right regarding minimum wage of £10 per hour.

I used to think the Greens were a good moral conscience for the main political parties, now, I just think they are barking. I wouldn't leave Natalie Bennet in charge of a petty cash tin, never mind the economy.

Oooh, pass the quinoa ... pfft!

I think she's not always exactly on the ball, harper. On the other hand, Patrick Harvie is pretty inspirational.

I have got a bit of the hype. I think it is a complete change from the usual two horse race. It makes it interesting but no idea what will happen.

Morally speaking, no country should have nuclear capabilities but the reality is that they do. I am not sure if it keeps us safe or not but seeing we have one, I am all for hanging on to it until there is some real progress towards unilateral disarmament.

I am very anti nuclear weapons. I hate the thought of the indiscriminate murder and I really don't see the argument for keeping us safe. At the moment we aren't just hanging onto it but spending billions on upgrading it. I think that money could be much better spent elsewhere. It is also unsafe and there are many scare reports and it's on our doorstep. No place else in the UK would have it.

I am against paying £100 billion for a weapons system that we cannot fire without the US's permission and one that we know when we do fire it its a precursor to everyone's annihilation

I thought that Nicola Sturgeon did very well. Confident and clear and convincing. The three women were pretty good. Good for Leanne Wood pulling up the racist. I thought that Cameron looked very uncomfortable, same old, same old, Clegg was insipid, Miliband reasonable but hate all that 'eye contact'. Farage is a total nightmare.

Nicola was the star by a mile. Ed did far better than I thought he would. Farage is looking an ever increasing bore, the kind of windbag you avoid in the pub. Was not overly impressed with the aussie, the green lady was very stilted (would have been so much better with patrick or Caroline) - and bear in mind this is with the three of them working in unison. As for the 'big' three, they look bewildered, I don't think they can work out just what is happening, how dare the world not buy into their vision of more austerity for the poor - I mean do we have to make up more scare stories or what?

I thought they were all pretty poor. I didn't feel wowed by any of them.

Clegg came over as pretty balanced - despite his record in office.

Miliband was just a little bit too creepy for my liking and not at all convincing

Farage has important points to make about the impact of immigration and the real state of the economy but always makes them in a way that totally alienates peoples. I just wish ordinary working class people in the south east had better representation.

Sturgeon and Wood were okay and spoke well for their own communities but have no idea of the pressures facing the south east. They dismissed the concerns of ordinary working people, who are experiencing real difficulty, because she/they don't like the messenger.

Wood was punching above her weight but made a pretty good job of it.

Bennett has a shopping list for Utopia but no idea how she would deliver it....

Cameron came over as someone who looked as if he wanted to jack the whole thing in.

It was all so stage managed and fake. Too much media training and not enough authentic engagement. The overuse of the questioner's names, the emphatic use of the fist to make a point. The over phrasing.... "And I say this to you" Too much self interest. I wouldn't vote for any of them.

And why wasn't Ireland represented?

They have MPs in Westminster tho' and therefore, influence? Scratches heid and goes to google....

I thought that Sturgeon, in particular, made a point of bringing the discussion repeatedly back to the plight of ordinary people. She certainly didn't patronise the person asking the question the way some of the men did. I don't think their media training is working. ha ha. Miliband was okay but his doe eyed camera conscious approach was a bit weird.

Farage is utterly terrifying. Good on Wood ticking him off.

I think Northern Ireland should have been represented.