Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
willie campbell

Spain

Hope everyone has had a great Christmas and New Year,and the best of health,and perhaps a lottery win is called for in 2015 .Thats us all well into January already,and I hate to say it,but it is the sunniest,driest festive period I have experienced here in Southern Spain in all the years ive been visiting.In spite of all the publicity about unemployment etc.,there seems to be more shops opened than last year,and the Christmas period followed by the sales seemed very busy.

Theres been much coverage of the atrocities in France,and your heart goes out to those who have lost loved ones..an awful state of affairs.

Anyway,back to not so sunny Scotland at the end of next week,and a fried potato scone and egg roll,washed down with a milky tea is just what the doctor ordered.In truth,I am all chirozo-d out.

Hope everyone has had a great Christmas and New Year,and the best of health,and perhaps a lottery win is called for in 2015 .Thats us all well into January already,and I hate to say it,but it is the sunniest,driest festive period I have experienced here in Southern Spain in all the years ive been visiting.In spite of all the publicity about unemployment etc.,there seems to be more shops opened than last year,and the Christmas period followed by the sales seemed very busy.

Theres been much coverage of the atrocities in France,and your heart goes out to those who have lost loved ones..an awful state of affairs.

Anyway,back to not so sunny Scotland at the end of next week,and a fried potato scone and egg roll,washed down with a milky tea is just what the doctor ordered.In truth,I am all chirozo-d out.

Please bring the sunshine, Willie. It's been gie dreich this past week and we could be getting some snow.

Glad to hear you've been having a good time and that the atmosphere has been upbeat. :)

Personally, I'd be tempted to stay put, Wil's - it's freezing here.

The events in Paris were truly heart wrenching and the Je suis Charlie cartoons produced in solidarity were powerful and moving. I do think the world has gone bonkers and it saddens me deeply.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Je+suis+Charlie+cartoons&rls=com.microsoft:en-GB:IE-Address&rlz=1I7PRFB_enGB551&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=wlq1VOS2PIv2UKi9gfAE&ved=0CE0QsAQ&biw=1876&bih=817

How was Christmas and New Year, Spanish style?

Personally, I'd be tempted to stay put, Wil's - it's freezing here.

The events in Paris were truly heart wrenching and the Je suis Charlie cartoons produced in solidarity were powerful and moving. I do think the world has gone bonkers and it saddens me deeply.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Je+suis+Charlie+cartoons&rls=com.microsoft:en-GB:IE-Address&rlz=1I7PRFB_enGB551&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=wlq1VOS2PIv2UKi9gfAE&ved=0CE0QsAQ&biw=1876&bih=817

How was Christmas and New Year, Spanish style?

The attacks in Paris were shocking. The run away bin truck in Glasgow and the unfortunate fatalities was very sad but it was an accident. These deliberate actions of terrorists are on a whole other level. Everything changes in a couple of days.

I am not looking forward to my journey home and think I will stay in and watch telly this week-end. It is not looking good. A Costa something sounds tempting. Have a good time Willie.

Sorry for the delay in getting back Pat,but Christmas in Spain is low keyed compared to the 6th of January,Epiphany,which seems to be a much bigger celebration for Spaniards.New Year is celebrated too,but not so much as it is here in Scotland.No surprise there.Half of Russia seems to have moved to Spain at the moment, with menus,magazines and goodness knows what all,printed in Russian.Yes, the Spanish are certainly going out of their way to attract the rouble,and they must be hoping the economy stabilises.

Plenty of rich Russians spreading their dosh around, willie. Buying up plenty of old castles in Scotland. I don't know how much it helps the economy but I expect in Spain there may be more business at the hotels etc

Hope you enjoy the rest of your stay – sleet forecast for tomorrow. brrr.