Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

Scottish Labour Leadership

Dennis Canavan has it summed up – Dinosaurs from Westminster only need apply. Neil Findlay may have made a wrong move hanging out with Gorgeous George. They've put so many feet wrong, those applyin for the job really need to be careful.

I have to say, I have been more caught up in the possibility of Alex Salmond moving to Westminster..... talk about checkmate! Great interview on the Andrew Marr show yesterday.

You can catch it on Iplayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04nyvjt/the-andrew-marr-show-02112014

Jim Murphy apologies to the electorate for not listen... twice. It's painful to see what happening to Labour but they've earned it.

Enjoyed that, thanks, Harper. He's every inch the statesman. I'm sure he'd be a real thorn in Cameron's flesh at Westminster. See Darling is also throwing in the towel.

SNP held a local council election in largs last week. following the death of the previous councillor. Labour came 4th, behind the tories.

Yes, very changed days, samsc. Moved too far from their principles.

Meanwhile, in a wee corner of Westminster... the vultures are circling for Milliband. The New Statement have come out against him and Neil Kinnock has gone public to support him. "People are queuing up to support, Ed" - with knives, no doubt. ...Dead man walking..... :rolleyes:

Huge 'Support Milliband' campaign on Twitter. I think that the media are in control of his destiny. Amazing the contrast between social media and the popular press. Murphy glorified by the media but not a popular man with most Scots – yet looks like the best chance of leading his party at Holyrood.

It is bad when your own union does not back you.

Sure is, rory. I see Neil Findlay was pushing the idea that Labour is the party for social justice. He may be committed himself but he'd have a bother convincing Westminster.

As was to be expected Salmond's farewell speech was inspiring. Also very witty, he won't be standing for Lewes, East Sussex. :)

He couldn't get off the stage for the cheers and was also greeted with tremendous enthusiasm. Something Clegg, Cameron or Miliband will never experience. So let's see how Nicola does. I think she'll be able.

why the unions still support this mob is beyond me really.

every union conference ive been to there always a motion to dis-affiliate from them but the hierarchy always seem to think its easier to pressurise them from within......but that hasnt been working for years and you only have to look at their record for supporting the tories to see that.

there is no opposition when both sides are signing from the same songbook

why the unions still support this mob is beyond me really.

every union conference ive been to there always a motion to dis-affiliate from them but the hierarchy always seem to think its easier to pressurise them from within......but that hasnt been working for years and you only have to look at their record for supporting the tories to see that.

there is no opposition when both sides are signing from the same songbook

You're right, tig. There is no opposition. I was shocked to see Labour voting for continued cuts to the disabled: http://www.snp.org/media-centre/news/2014/nov/labour-votes-continue-welfare-cuts-disabled

Saw the three: Sarah Boyack, Neil Findlay and Jim Murphy on the television last night. How Murphy can be considered the favourite is beyond me. The man comes over as very insincere and an absolute showoff. Neil Findlay is opposed to Trident and happy to speak out so he goes up in my estimation. It's healthy to have a sound opposition but Murphy would simply be a huge irritation. He'll be going on about those irn bru crates for the rest of his days.

Thatcher and Reagans' love child, Jim Murphy, elected leader of teh Scottish Branch.

The toryisation of teh labour party continues at pace

Unbelievable. He's even talking in the Thatcher modulated tones now. Sounds incredibly patronising and insincere.

I watched First Ministers Question Time. Nicola Sturgeon certainly makes sure she is well informed of both national and international issues. Kezi Dugdale seems very immature. She has got into the habit of having a personal dig at the First Minister and casting up rather than being committed to making a difference.

I see miss Dugdale demanding First Minister take action on matters that are reserved......to the westminster she and her party insist we stay tied to

Don't think that Murphy will be too happy with his assistant at Holyrood as Kezia Dugdale has stated that Labour wouldn't rule out working with SNP at Westminster.

Meanwhile Jim Murphy demonstrates that he doesn't understand Barnet

He thinks he's in charge. Huge ego. Diane Abbott wasn't too pleased with him.