Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

Gaza

Seventy-two hour truce has been announced. Hope they stick with it and that this is the start of the end of this particular situation. In the long term there needs to be a lifting of the blockade and an end to Israeli's building of illegal settlements.

The issue is not just about the disproportionate nature of the conflict. Palestine has been occupied and people displaced by Israeli settlers for many years. They are then imprisoned in their own country without access to basic human rights e.g. many cannot get clean drinking water, hospitals are not properly equipped.

Hamas are not dependable but Arafat was treated with no respect. There is a very long standing problem and the solution seems to be two states. I hope this ceasefire will stay in place and perhaps there will be a route to peace before more children are killed.

I saw a report where a bomber pilot explained that the Israelis really do not know what they are hitting. He said that he was saving lives.

Unbelievable. How can you drop bombs not knowing what you are hitting.

Israel has other activities going on apart from the war on Gaza.

"While the eyes of the world are distracted by the appalling spectacle being played out in Gaza, Israel quietly gave the go-ahead to a controversial oil exploration program [in the Golan Heights] on occupied Syrian territory."

http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative/2014/07/with-all-eyes-on-gaza-israel-green-lights-oil-wells-in-occupied-golan-3001186.html

Its okay tho' the theft of land and its mineral resources were given to a company in which Dick Cheney has interests. Look away, nothing to see.

Warsi resigns

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28656874

had to check that story several times as a tory with a conscience is a rare thing indeed

Good for her. Cameron will be sick. I hear he is thinking about things? More good new is that Spain has spoken out against Israeli aggression in Gaza and are stopping their sale of arms to the country.

At last, something decisive...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/08/05/gaza-arms-embargo-alex-salmond_n_5650417.html

I don't know how the UK Government fail to see themselves as culpable, while they continue to sell arms to Israel.

I was delighted to see that Salmond has come out and called for an arms embargo.

Its up to ordinary folk to send a message - boycott Israeli goods and treat Israel as the pariah state it is

I'm made some adjustments, samsc. Huge long list of goods. An amazing number of cosmetics, shampoo products etc. No more Radox or L'Oreal or Calvin Klein. Coca Cola and Sprite are off the shopping list too.

ive always liked coke over pepsi but when i learned years ago israel refuse to sell pepsi because they supply it to gaza, jordan etc i made the switch.....though 99% of the times its some form of barrs i drink now...but stay well away from coke product jaffas etc

im not supporting apartheid

I'll really need to do some reading up. What do I boycott? I have no idea!

There's a lot of information about goods to boycott, lynski. I've got a pile of stuff in my house - Lancome, Calvin Klein, Coca Cola, Radox, Colgate.

You can find a list of products to boycott on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/List-of-Israeli-Products-to-Boycott/343892822376809

You can find information here: http://boycottisraeltoday.wordpress.com/boycott-israel/

Tomorrow the Palestinian flag will fly at Glasgow City Chambers

Thanks, tig. Just for one day but a show of solidarity with the people of Gaza.

On it's own it doesn't make a difference, harper, but it is an expression of solidarity with the people of Palestine. Just like the many protests, personal boycotts and the sanctions some local shops are taking - plus the pressure put on our MPs to take action – it is important.

The Palestinian people often express how the world has more or less turned its eye on them and ask that this be recorded and acknowledged.

If a Palestinian flag flew on municipal buildings across the UK then maybe that would help the message get through to those that should be speaking up and taking action.

When we protested at the demo a week ago in George Square many people agreed that it would be good to see the Palestinian flag flying on the City Chambers. We asked for that to happen.

There's a lot of information about goods to boycott, lynski. I've got a pile of stuff in my house - Lancome, Calvin Klein, Coca Cola, Radox, Colgate.

You can find a list of products to boycott on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/List-of-Israeli-Products-to-Boycott/343892822376809

You can find information here: http://boycottisraeltoday.wordpress.com/boycott-israel/

Thanks Pat, I'll give that a read over.

I suppose it makes people feel as if they are doing something - and that's no bad thing, I suppose but I can't help but be cynical when I think about the weight of the Stop the War Coalition and the millions that marched against the Iraq war to what end?

I suppose it makes people feel as if they are doing something - and that's no bad thing, I suppose but I can't help but be cynical when I think about the weight of the Stop the War Coalition and the millions that marched against the Iraq war to what end?

I've often thought about those massive protests against the war and how they were ignored, harper. Regarding protests and expressions of support re: Gaza, It does let people feel that they are doing something and they hope that the people in Gaza will learn that there situation is being recognised. It is absolutely unbelievable that action is being taken in Iraq regarding the current genocide – yet the genocide in Gaza is viewed as some sort of acceptable 'defense'.