Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
willie campbell

T.V.

My parents bought a television in time for the coronation in 1953.It was relatively speaking an expensive item,the screen was black and white, and 14 ins,tiny by todays sets,and was encased in a huge wooden cabinet,veneered in walnut,and weighed a ton.There were 4 round switches at the front,and the set took 5 mins to "heat up",before a picture flickered into life.The neighbours in the street came in for the day to watch the ceremonials,and my mother served tea and sandwiches.These sets were amongst the first,worked on valves which lit up inside the casings,and had a huge conical tube poking out the back.Because they were so expensive to buy,and were constantly breaking down,T.V.rental companies sprang up in the 60s.Names like D.E.R.,and Radio Rentals started to rent t.v.s to households,and the beauty was if anything went wrong,the van would appear with an engineer to fix the probs.,all for the price of your weekly fee.Radio Rental joined the vernacular for a while in the 60s as in "Are you Radio Rental mate?"(mental) if for example, you got drunk and did something stupid.Those were the days of one channel,no remote,so you actually had to get up and switch the set off,or change channels, when more became available.Sets still looked like pieces of furniture,and for a while dire romours of getting radiation poisonong from them if you sat too close,and waens getting"skellyeyetis" from watching too much,all proved foundless of course.Rock stars who could throw tellys out of hotel windows in those days must have been bloody strong I can tell you,and lets hope no-one was standing below.Programming at the start was from 6pm only,and as time went on, started in the afternoon,but had a 3 hour interlude to let "housewives prepare their husbands and childrens dinner",because incredibly most families then, actually sat down at the table to eat together.

Now of course its plasma screen t.v.s.You pass houses at night and all you see are featureless rooms,not a picture or photo on the walls,but the biggest screen you've ever seen stuck up on the wall at a height so awkward,it will surely lead to ankylosing spondilitis.Get shares in companies manufacturing neckbraces if you can!Or perhaps thats just another skellyeyetis scare.

Bringing back memories, willie. I was just saying to Jim the other night that years ago, when we watched the television as children, the light was always turned off.

Our friends used to come to our house and we would all lie on the floor and look up at the huge television, just as you've described it. We would watch programmes like The Andy Pandy and Rag. Tag and Bobtail. Later a favourite in our house was Crackerjack and my mum and dad loved What's My Line. My mum was a buge fan of Eamon Andrews.

Sometimes there wss nothing on the telly and you just got the testcard. Big change from these days.

I do remember someone coming to repair a valve when the telly had broken down.

I can't remember renting a telly. For about six years we didn't have one. My mum just lived across the road so if there was anything really exciting on we could view in her house. Another old favourite programme I remember from years ago was Crackerjack. We loved the bit where the challenge was to remember all the items they saw passing by.

Ach, you couldn't beat Captain Scarlett and the Mysterons.

The Monkees, was another favourite - I adored Mike Nesmith.

Sunday afternoon films were the best. I remember bawling my eyes out watch Old Yeller when they had to shoot the dog. Catherine Hepburn as Jo, in Little Women, was fabulous and inspirational. The scene in Funny Lady, when Streisand gets on the ferry, all dressed up and belting out "Don't Rain on my Parade" is one of my all time favourite movie moments...

I remember Robinson Crusoe had a very dodgy soundtrack... :D

I remember the song Casey Jones a speeding and a rolling but can't for the life of me remember what the show was about.

It's funny how the voices have changed on telly. All the presenters used to be very twee and posh.

I just remember seeing Streisand at the pictures, harper, but The Monkees, were great. Very uplifting.

Casey Jones was a bit like Lassie/Skippy, every adventure they were involved in required a train to win the day

Just for the record, I do appreciate that Lassie/Skippy didn't usually drive a train....undoubtedly somewhere in the archive will be one episode where either Lassie or Skippy drove a train

I loved Lassie. The rough collie is one of the most beautiful breeds. What about The Penguin Family? I think that was one of the earliest TV Shows for kids.

Who would ever have thought that we'd now have a zillion channels of rubbish?

"Listen With Mother" on the radio in the 50s was hysterical.The lady who told us stories then was probably sitting at the mike,fully made up, in a cocktail frock,tight perm,and chandelier ear-rings,as she enunciated to her audience throughout the length and breadth of Great Britain.The male newscasters sat in dinner jackets reading their scripts,and it was all too,too much dahling.I remember" Frances the Talking Mule".That was another cracker from America of course,where this horse-thing solved crimes,just like" Pure Murder She Wrote", but with an equine slant.It was probably hugely popular in stables too,if they had telly,...and hoof friendlyT.V.switches. And of course all those puppets where you could see the strings,but chose to ignore them.

The Singing Ringing Tree topped them all for me..... how weird was that?

somebody asked me last week to put that on a dvd for them.....i only watched 2 mins of it but wow no wonder all the kids where mental haha

I cannot remember the Singing Ringing Tree? I always enjoyed the 5 minutes of the Magic Roundabout just before the 'boring' news at 6pm came on.

Can The Old Grey Whistle Test go in nostalgia? I think we need another programme like this. Lauren Laverne could host it. Or even something like The Tube. There is a gap in showing interesting music programmes.

I don't think even Lauren could match Bob, rory. Maybe he could be coaxed back.

I am loving" Endeavour" being re-run on T.V. just now.It's the prequel to "Morse" and captures the flavour of the '60's perfectly.I like Shuan Evans portrayal of the detective who grew up to be John Thaw,although I could never forgive him for marrying Sheila Hancock,in real life,that is.

Must try and catch that, willie.  I am looking forward to Strictly. Although, as usual, there are some celebs that I've never heard of. ha ha