Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

Merchant City Festival

logo-mcf-300x230.jpgThe 12th Merchant City Festival will take place from 24 to 28 July 2013

The Merchant City Festival 2013 is set to be a Vintage year!

www.merchantcityfestival.com

The festival will have 300 events and performances across 11 arts strands with a particular highlight being Vintage Glasgow, which will take over Candleriggs, the Old Fruitmarket and City Halls in Merchant City, Glasgow on Saturday 27 and Sunday 28 July and transform it into a Vintage Festival delight.

www.merchantcityfestival.com

The festival will have 300 events and performances across 11 arts strands with a particular highlight being Vintage Glasgow, which will take over Candleriggs, the Old Fruitmarket and City Halls in Merchant City, Glasgow on Saturday 27 and Sunday 28 July and transform it into a Vintage Festival delight.

Merchant City Festival will also launch the one-year to go celebrations for Glasgow 2014. The Commonwealth Games will be the largest multi-sport event Scotland has ever hosted and a key theme for the 12th Merchant City Festival.

Further information about the Merchant City Festival

commonwealth_garden-225x300.jpgCommonwealth Flower Garden

Projectability, Trongate 103

Drop in event for children and families to create national flowers and plants from around the Commonwealth countries and territories to take away or display in our ‘Commonwealth Garden’ in the window space of the Trongate 103 Foyer.

Create beautiful plants and flowers from across the Commonwealth like the black Orchid of Belize, Canada’s Maple, the red-blossomed heilala of Tonga or Scotland’s very own thistle. A variety of arts and crafts materials will be available to work with on the day and our ‘Commonwealth Garden’ (complete with astro-turf) will bloom and grow throughout the 2 day event.

Dates: Saturday 27th July: 1-2pm & 2:30-3:30pm
Sunday 28th July: 1-2pm & 2:30-3:30pm
Cost: free

Note: there is no need to book a place, as these workshops are drop-in. However, there are only limited places, and they will be attributed on a first come-first served basis.

For more information, please contact create@project-ability.co.uk or 0141 552 2822.

Yes, busy, busy. I fought down one street of stalls, then another and then a third. That was a waste of time as they were all the same Italian special coffee, cheese, nougat and burgers. A wee bit of variety would have been nice. Still – happy atmosphere. I met lots of folk I knew and had a blether. Some I hadn't seen for ages, since Glasgow Caledonian days. Also had a wee chat with Tam Dean Burn and his family. I enjoyed that.

Glad the weather held for the festival. A few splashes today but not too bad.

I managed to blag my way into the launch event on Wednesday night :lol: Free wine and food, yay! I was also introduced to a chap called Patrick, who I chatted away to for about ten minutes. After he left my pal who had introduced us said, "you do realise who that was...?" Nope. I had been talking to Green MSP Patrick Harvie and didn't even recognise him! Quite embarrassing as I follow him on twitter :lol: