Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
HollowHorn

Musical Nostalgia

I've seen him before.'Deliverance', I think it was. Had Jon Voight tied to a tree.

That's quite a history of Glasgow bands. And I'll get back to you.

I toured with Johnny Miles when he and another Albanian backed Jim Wilkie. I do beleive they played the cruise ships for a while.

VN's pretty close there, I'd say. Plenty mutual friends, though I've no idea who VN is myself. Yet.

Seems from his/her post we've been in the same room more than a few times though......

I ran into Jim Wilkie very recently as it happens, he works for BBC Scotland now.

Oft wondered what happened to Tommy Jackson. Sandy, I know, moved south and produces/writes for other artists. Davey Roy spotted recently by a member of this forum in the WE. I see Mark Goldinger now and then.

Cliff's in London, as is Andy Hamilton, I believe. No idea what became of John Mamby, what a great player he was/is.

The Poems (aka Justin and Bob Bluebell) gigged last week in Glasgow as part of Celtic Connections.

I hadn't seen Robert Strain for many years until the funeral last July of one of the oft-named people in VN's post..... that of a dearly-loved friend of 30+ years.

Tommy Jackson

The last I heard was he was running a studio in Europe possibly Italy.

Mount Vernon Hotel regulars may recall.
and regulars may recall it as the Golden Gates. Oh the joys of Sunday drinking in hotels and social clubs.

Mario used to be in the Beings I think, and was famous for his Fender Rhodes playing and Neil Sedaka vocals!

The Beings were the resident band of The Bundoran Club (up three flights in Sauchiehall Street where the CCA is now) The club of choice for good girls from Notre Dame and Garnethill. Well their parents' choice as it was run by a teacher from St. Aloysius.

Dusty McSheffrey (Bass), Jonnie Miles (Drums),

I missed the reference to Dusty. He toured with Wilkie as well.

"Dusty, Jonnie and Damian all came out a local band called the Kelvinators, who were begat by the Irish band Rodeo (http://www.errolwalsh.co.uk/bands.html). Prior to Jonnie and Dusty arriving, Davie Roy (Cado Belle: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endid=41295499) helped out on drums with John Manby on bass. "

I used to bump into a leading light in The Kelvinators in The Grove Bar. His name will come to me later in the day. He used to carry a cassette of his songs around with him just in case that Bill Berry of REM popped back into the pub for a glass of malt and brought with him a Nashville A&R man. He also ran a market in the Barras. It may have been his mother's. She was once asked to confirm that a mahogany veneered video cabinet was genuine Georgian.

* The Backline (sans Mr McLelland) played as an instrumental, jazz-funk unit on and off during the 80s, all local gigs (Benson's, Charlie Parkers etc). Davey Roy (drums), Bobby Paterson (bass), Robert Strain (guitar), Mark Goldinger (sax), Robin Rankin (Fender Rhodes). Occasional singer
. and an occasional conga drum player as well. Benson's for the benefit of younger viewers I believe became Air Organic and for older viewers in Scotland was previously the Bombadier. God knows what it is called now.

Sneeky Pete

Wally Cameron , Johnny Cameron, Duncan Cameron, Donny Finlay, Rab McQuillan.

Did make the single refered to in the scanned post.

Night time in the City / Gettong Out. Now records N701 (1979).

Duncan runs Riverside Studios, Johnny played with Carla Laula.

Cado Belle Made two records

Anchor LP ANCL 2015 andAnchor EP AN1

One person not so far mentioned is Alasdair Robertson who wrote all the lyrics withthe exeption of "Got To Love" on the album. He went on to play with the Ideal Band and the Zydico Ceilidh Band. Last I heard he was living in Milingavie and was a musical therapist in Glasgow schools.

Chou Pahrot

Robert Donaldson, Anthony O'Neill, Martin McKenna(m zarb, eggy beard, the amphibian,mama voot)

"Live" LUB KPL 19

Hope this helps

KD

PS while talkining about the McKennas anyone remember Mae?

On the pop front what about the Studio Six and the Pathfinders or the Beatstalkers.

Hmmmm. question. The theme tune to 'Have I Got News For You' is by someone called 'Big George'. It's been bugging me for a while, is it that Big George? i.e. ...And The Business. Anybody know??

It's a different Big George

Thanks for the line up of Chou Pahrot

The beatstalkers released a CD of their singles and other tracks last year and played the Barrowland at a re union gig. I gather it was more heavy rock than what the fans were expecting.

My mate lent me a compilation with two Tracks by the pathfinders One a superb version version of To Love sombody which remained in the Vaults till fairly recently as The Bee Gees deciided to issue their own version in the sixtiesl.

Ther have been various sightings of Clewsy.

Ther have been various sightings of Clewsy.

Ah'm sumhow relaytit tae him, tho' it wisnae sumthin the faimily wur eggzackly proud o' as he wiz seen as a black sheep, if ah kin still say that in this pc world, (if ah kin still say pc world oan oor pc forum)

Sneeky Pete

Wally Cameron , Johnny Cameron, Duncan Cameron, Donny Finlay, Rab McQuillan.

Did make the single refered to in the scanned post.

Night time in the City / Gettong Out. Now records N701 (1979).

Duncan runs Riverside Studios, Johnny played with Carla Laula.

Cado Belle Made two records

Anchor LP ANCL 2015 andAnchor EP AN1

One person not so far mentioned is Alasdair Robertson who wrote all the lyrics withthe exeption of "Got To Love" on the album. He went on to play with the Ideal Band and the Zydico Ceilidh Band. Last I heard he was living in Milingavie and was a musical therapist in Glasgow schools.

Chou Pahrot

Robert Donaldson, Anthony O'Neill, Martin McKenna(m zarb, eggy beard, the amphibian,mama voot)

"Live" LUB KPL 19

Hope this helps

KD

PS while talkining about the McKennas anyone remember Mae?

On the pop front what about the Studio Six and the Pathfinders or the Beatstalkers.

Hi KD, cheers for that. I didn't connect Duncan Riverside with Sneeky Pete at all; good call!

Rab McQulllan; did he become a tour manager/techie/sound engineer? Name's very familiar.

I have the Cados album on vinyl but not the EP. What tracks were on it?

I remember Alisdair Robertson well and I spot him around the WE quite often.

I promoted Chou Pahrot a couple of times around 76/77, on local band bills with Croppa, Chico and the like. VN would remember better than me, probably, given he was in just about all of 'em! :-)

Guest onyirtodd

I can recommend The Ideal Band's 'A Measure of Freedom'. Great playing and fine singing :D

RT,

The Cado Belle E.P. was it's title (1977) and it contained two covers and two self penned songs from the band. The sleeve was four Victorian postcards, each with a vague link to a song title.

Side 1 It's Over (Boz Scaggs), September (Alan Darby)

Side 2 Play It Once For Me (Stuart MacKillop), Gimmie Little Sign (Smith/ Hoovan/ Winn).

I don't know who Anchor Records were and there's no clue to a larger label on either record, so no idea who would own the masters now.

Play It Once For Me was arranged by Paul Buckmaster, who worked on early Elton John albums, so DJM is possible.

Some early copies of the album had an inner with all Alasdair and Stuart's lyrics.

ebay, Lost in Music, Oxfam or one of the record fairs in the library or Kelvin Hall would be your best bet for finding a copy, they turn up now and again and are not too expensive.

D St C

Thanks for the Studio Six site

KD

Guest onyirtodd

There's a Cado Belle EP and lots of other good stuff in Mixed Up records in Otago lane.

There's also a copy upstairs at Lost Chord in Park Rd.

You can buy it online at www.gemm.co.uk but it'll be cheaper over the counter.

"The bands 12" maxi-single release Cado Belle E.P. is worth tracking down, demonstrating a wide range of styles despite only having four tracks, with its standout cut being Alan Darby's composition September. Here the band give vent to mellow guitar and sax, with a great vocal from Maggie Reilly. She, of course, later enjoyed considerable chart success singing for Mike Oldfield ("Family Man"; "Moonlight Shadow".) "

More at http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=41295499