Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
HollowHorn

Musical Nostalgia

Cheers, Eddie, great to see that old video.

I went to see them without fail every Saturday afternoon at the Curlers (tho they sometimes played there at night midweek too) and a few times at the Maggie on Sauchiehall St.

Mick was a student at Glasgow same time as me, circa 1976. I think he was in the law faculty. I have an over-riding memory of him cutting about campus in a very fetching sheepskin jacket.

He was completely gorgeous and a really nice bloke to boot. I saw him in Byres Rd quite recently and suffice to say, he still is!

:oops:

Many thanks Dexter and rolo.

By spending a few hours Googling a mixture of "Rowan+Martin+very+interesting+German+helmet" I think I now have some idea what the reference is.

There do appear to be some original songs among the badly recorded material I have heard. I am trying to find a way of getting it on to the website or Myspace.

Despite being together and gigging regularly for years, did this mob not release anything? Not even an indie single?

In an earlier post, Cliff says he stole a bass player from the Khybers. Was this Iain or the guy who is in the last few frames of the video who is definitely not Khyber Iain?

Eddie G.

(completely unrelated to the West End, I was sent this yesterday and have been in fits since. Click on "early auditions" and see famous actors auditioning for Snakes on a Plane.)

http://www.snakesonablog.com/2006/03/27/sn...arly-auditions/

Eddie wrote:

In an earlier post, Cliff says he stole a bass player from the Khybers. Was this Iain or the guy who is in the last few frames of the video who is definitely not Khyber Iain?

If it's important to your project I'll ask him if you like. Or google his website and ask him yourself.

I don't recall them having released any singles. But you know, Ed, it's been 30 years now. I could be well wrong.

I'll bet there'll be tapes in existence somewhere taken off the desk at live gigs though. Somebody somewhere on here will likely have a lead. Pardon the pun....

I always wondered if Paul Weller had ever caught the band. Is Eton Rifles cockerney slang for Khyber Trifles?..........let's start a whole new conspiracy theory!

:shock:

Ta, Harper.

I'll contact Cliff myself.

Sometimes I have a problem with the bleedin' obvious!

Regards,

Eddie G

I'm sure he will be more than pleased to help.

I'm still reeling from the fact that it's been thirty years and that your grandfather may well have been someone I would have recognised and perhaps known :shock: :lol:

Yeah, scary biscuits, right enough.

Only two scenarios spring to mind;

1) Eddie's grandad became so at a pretty early age

OR

2) Eddie's a member of the now defunct Khybers.

Actually there's a third option, viz; some of us 50 year olds are in denial and can't equate grandparent-hood with our young sprighly selves. Do we all have these squiggly mirrors that reflect our 20-something selves?

I sure do. Sad, but true.

LOL!

I've been trying to complete this post for some time but I cannot stop myself roaring with laughter at the proposition that "Eton Rifles" is rhyming slang for "Khyber Trifles". Congrats, rolo, that is the most unhinged suggestion I've ever heard - even in connection with the Khyber Trifles. Well done!

(I do sometimes get a frisson myself when someone on the radio begins to say "Kaiser Chiefs".)

You baby boomers don't need to beat yourselves up over the timeline here. Granda Glasgow was in his mid thirties with two children in the Khyber days.

Everyone says Khybers Robbie and Nicky were a good bit older than the other three guys in the band. They will have their bus passes by now.

As for me being in the band, I'm nowhere near bus pass age and there were no Khybers called Edwina.

EG

Gawd, this takes ye back some. Sorry Dex, haven't a clue about your query but I have to say that's the best write up I've ever seen for the Motels! If you're lurkin, sorry Cliff :oops:

Thank goodness people keep this stuff...

8)

Lordy! Remember the typewriter???

Great post Dex. Though I disagree with the author re Chou Pahrot. I thought they were cr*p myself.

Venigmas? I should know, I should know...dammit. Mars Bar stuff.

And no I'm not googling, I'll think Venigmas afore I hit the pillow and the complete line-up plus what they were wearing'll be there in the morning.

Yeah...right...

:roll:

Lordy! Remember the typewriter???

Great post Dex. Though I disagree with the author re Chou Pahrot. I thought they were cr*p myself.

Venigmas? I should know, I should know...dammit. Mars Bar stuff.

And no I'm not googling, I'll think Venigmas afore I hit the pillow and the complete line-up plus what they were wearing'll be there in the morning.

Yeah...right...

:roll:

You'll have a laugh when you do recall the line up of Supergroup The Venigmas.

I was not a fan of Chou Pahrot's music but they were good guys, well into their music which IMO was inspired by Beefheart and Zappa. And very brave too if you saw them at Kelvingrove when they were bottled off by the usual conservative metal crowd. I've got an EP somehwre and I'm sure some day I'll pick up their Klub album. I supported them at Cinders one night. Their fans were that lumpen crowd of a similar ilk to those who followed Scheme, Big George etc. Loyal, stupid and pains in the arses of anybody else who was attnding a gig. Deadheads on Buckie to summarise.

Guest westender

Big George etc. Loyal, stupid and pains in the arses of anybody else who was attnding a gig.

up yours ya dobber

As I have been to many a Big George gig and supported him as well, I shall include the full quote rather than Westie's warped version.

Their fans were that lumpen crowd of a similar ilk to those who followed Scheme, Big George etc. Loyal, stupid and pains in the arses of anybody else who was attending a gig. Deadheads on Buckie to summarise.

One of my few criticisms of Big George rather than his following was "Your sound checks are longer than some gigs the Grateful Dead have played."

Subbing for the News of the World are you, Westie?

Guest westender

As I have been to many a Big George gig and supported him as well, I shall include the full quote rather than Westie's warped version.

One of my few criticisms of Big George rather than his following was "Your sound checks are longer than some gigs the Grateful Dead have played."

Subbing for the News of the World are you, Westie?

As one who played with Big George all over Scotland, I can tell you that the soundchecks were far from long, but long enough to satisfy a man who loved his guitar; and his fans in particular were great folk.

And leave the press out of it, ye're not funny

Well! Would I putting the feline squarely amongst the mangy winged ones that sh*t everywhere if I were to suggest that Big G was most certainly NOT the Business?

:twisted:

Guest westender

he is in my book; he's one of the very, very few genuine articles I have encountered musically.

Only if you're not the tax man.

Ah, so Big George is a who and not a whit, as in Sneaky Pete, for example.

Still baffled :?

Goodness, how could I have missed this one!

Not quite the handbags and gladrags Big George that crossed my mind - an intersting crew Id' say by the looks of them :lol:

Guest VN

All our Yesteryears....

* Smiles (Cliff Hanley Jnr, Robert Strain guitars... 70s pop covers)

* Hotdog (Paul Karnokwsi, Robert Strain, guitars, Jim 'Kit' Carson drums...70s light rock covers - Doobies etc). 70s Mount Vernon Hotel regulars may recall.

* Edinburgh band (name ?), blue eyed soul, 3 singers including one Tommy Jackson + John Manby (Dundonian) on bass.

* Croppa (earliest incarnation) = Tommy Jackson (Vocals), Robert Strain (Guitar), Paul Karnowski (Guitar), John Manby (Bass), Jim Carson (Drums), Andy Hamilton (Sax), Mario ? (Keyboards).

Mario used to be in the Beings I think, and was famous for his Fender Rhodes playing and Neil Sedaka vocals!

Croppa was a intended corruption of Cropper, as in Steve Cropper.

* Croppa (final line up) = Tommy Jackson (Vocals), Robert Strain (Guitar), Paul Karnowski (Guitar), Dusty McSheffrey (Bass), Jonnie Miles (Drums), Damian ? (Hammond), Andy Hamilton (Sax), Mark Goldinger (Sax). This was the 'Saints and Sinners' line up.

Dusty, Jonnie and Damian all came out a local band called the Kelvinators, who were begat by the Irish band Rodeo (http://www.errolwalsh.co.uk/bands.html). Prior to Jonnie and Dusty arriving, Davie Roy (Cado Belle: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endid=41295499) helped out on drums with John Manby on bass.

Post-Croppa:

* Paul Karnowski joined Bobby Paterson in Sandy McLelland and the Backline (http://k1ono-web.hp.infoseek.co.jp/a_sandmc.html)

* Tommy Jackson and Robert Strain got a songwriting deal with, of all scallywags, Martin & Coulter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Martin)

* Dusty, Jonnie and Andy Hamilton were enlisted by one KY McKay to record an album under the name Albania (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000013C7/026-0050113-2687657). KY was a Saints and Sinner attendee and, as a yoof, determined that one day he would have Croppa as 'his' band. After Robert Strain joined them on guitar, Albania effectively became 2/3 Croppa, 10 years after the event. Now who says dreams can't come true Kenneth Younger ;-)

* Bobby Paterson, who went onto play with Seven, Set the Tone (http://www.netsoundsmusic.com/nsudsii/2/281376056/798/2.html) , Love and Money (http://www.jocelynsquare.co.uk/), and most recently The Poems with Bobby Bluebell (http://www.amazon.com/Young-America-Poems/dp/B000H8SFHK/sr=8-1/qid=1169840578/ref=sr_1_1/002-1045048-6027238?ie=UTF8&s=music), played in his early days with Chico (Charlie Fraser drums, Sandy Brown organ), Below the Belt, The Motels (Cliff Hanley Jnr), Maybe the Floor. Names from a distant past all! Both Bobby and Paul Karnowksi, and possibly Andy Hamilton, did at least one Irish tour as part of a reconstituted Cado Belle.

* The Backline (sans Mr McLelland) played as an instrumental, jazz-funk unit on and off during the 80s, all local gigs (Benson's, Charlie Parkers etc). Davey Roy (drums), Bobby Paterson (bass), Robert Strain (guitar), Mark Goldinger (sax), Robin Rankin (Fender Rhodes). Occasional singer.

PJ Moore (Blue Nile) also did a stint on keyboards!

Where are they now etc section...

* Jonnie Miles www.jonniemiles.com/

* KY McKay http://www.z360.com/mckay/index.htm (note Steve Cropper enlisted...)

Guest westender

I wouldn't bother

and control yourselves ladies

bgbthumb7.JPG

wow - farkin 'ell - ain't seen that one in a long time!!

If you've got the pics and are postin them, you know fine well the pics do not do any him any justice. He's about the music, not the image.

What are you trying to prove?