Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
HollowHorn

Musical Nostalgia

Never mind quantity - it's all about quality. Glasgow may have produced more bands than Edinburgh, but none of them has even come close to achieving the dizzy heights of international success and acclaim that the Bay City Rollers achieved.

Ahaaaaaarrrr aha aha ah aaaaaa ha ha. Best laugh I've had all day YB!

Whilst i have repeated the joke that Dundonians thought Jaws was a film about musicians playing a syndicated beat the city did produce a significant element of The Average White Band.

Dont be a pain in the arse Rico!

Drop it.

You're the pain in the ass Oz. You're only a mod. They come, they go and your time must be just about up,. And BTW it's Lynnski's job to look after the bag lady.

She challenged me to prove she'd said it was illegal after doing a quick edit to her original post. Of course you mods don't know that can be done without it leaving a "this post has been edited by L I A R" or whatever user name the poster has.

She's been caught by her trick of quoting everything in her replies and by some one who knows his way around message boards.

article-0-0561D9CE000005DC-444_468x350.jpg

Indeedy Dexter. And that 'element' could tan the ass offa the sum total of everything that Embra's produced since whenever :lol:

No persuasion required Westie, re the influence of the mighty Dan on certain Scottish bands of the mid 80s era. Danny Wilson and the Deacons being two examples....and Prefab Sprout (nearly Scots) likewise.

But Love and Money trumped everyone out, they got Gary Katz to produce em :lol:

Gonnae stop speaking in code. I dinnae understaun aw they references to beansprouts???

More precisely, chaps, one day someone will succeed in teaching me all of this stuff. In the meantime I'll use my usual rule of thumb: if it was written before 1940 then it's probably good. Afterwards - go on, convince me....

Now, I've no wish to be an old fashioned gal in an old fashioned house. I'm just an old fashioned guy. There again, the old fashioned millionaire always sounded like a good option.....

:twisted:

Beatles for sale wiz the furst elpee ah iver bot wi' mah ain munny.

Thurty-two ana tanner if ah mind right.

Actually, my first wis The Sleeping Beauty. Nice psychadelic vinyl (yes, the vinyl itself) I earned the money to buy it by putting on a puppet show in a close in **** . Aged eight, I was already condemned to always lose money (there agin they used the Tchaikovsky score and I used to hide behind the sofa whenever the witch came on she wis that scary).

The first kind of poppy singly thing I bought wis a song called (roughly) "hubble, bubble, toil and trouble" - see, the witches were still wi' me!

Fur the rest I played the Beatles EP's that my uncle brought and Peter, Paul and Mary doing "Blowing in the Wind". Didnae know then that they were a manufactured group, far less that Dylan had been asked tae join (that'd be Peter, Paul and the Hairy Mary's then). Me other favourite piece o' nonsense wis The Inkspots.

From then on it wis downhill. See that classical music when you get a notion for it....

:twisted:

Quote: Who was in that band and where did they play?

Can't quite remember who played with who but here are some names to fill the gaps:

Maggie Rielly, Cado Belle

Stuart McKillop, Cado Belle

Paul Karnowski, Croppa

Robert Strang, Smile, Croppa(?)

Cliff Hanley, Motels

Harper

Quote: Who was in that band and where did they play?

Can't quite remember who played with who but here are some names to fill the gaps:

Maggie Rielly, Cado Belle

Stuart McKillop, Cado Belle

Paul Karnowski, Croppa

Robert Strang, Smile, Croppa(?)

Cliff Hanley, Motels

Harper

Correctomundo there, 'Harper'. Maggie and Stuart were an item for some of the time they were in the band together I seem to recall, other Cados were Alan Darby, Davy Roy, Colin Tully and Gavin bassbloke.......

Other members of Croppa I recall were Tommy Jackson on vox and Mark Goldinger on sax. Not sure if Bob Strang was in Croppa or Chico, likewise Bobby Paterson, fine bass player of this parish, who was in one or the other, and quite possibly both....

The Motels, yes a brief foray did they make into the scene around the late 70s. Lordy yes, Cliff was a better painter than a frontman, (sorry Cliff!) but I can't for the life of me recall who else was a Motel at the time.

Shakin Pyramids, anyone?

Cuban Heels?

Sophisticated BoomBoom, His Latest Flame?

Strawberry Switchblade? James King and the Lone Wolves?

The Dreamboys ( now THAT was a lineup, big fame came to two of em latterly and not from being in the band..)

Hell, 'Harper', you have some recall. Were you in ANYY of these bands? I suspect so..... just trying to guess which!

Play on!

:D

Sorry, I haven't worked out the wee quote thing yet

Other Motels:

Craig Lockhart, Brian Miller, Alastair Kerr, Alastair Gowans (somebody predates AG but I can't remember that far back!)

If Cliff was on the board, he'd tell you himself: "like all good Glasgow bands, they moved to London and split up"

My God, the Berlin Blondes, yes indeed - what a laugh... Miller, Gowans and God knows who else. Again, moved to London and split up.

But who can place Andy Hamilton and John Mamby? and whit aboot Orange Juice?

As for the rest, well after my time, I'm afraid...

Libby was in Sophisticated Boom Boom but not His Latest Flame, I seem to recall.

No memory at all of the Berlin Blondes, sorry. Name is familiar but I never saw em.......or I don't remember if I did......ooops.

Pity Cliff's not on the board, eh, what what? LOL.......

Andy Hamilton..............oh by the lord I remember the name from the scene but I have NO IDEA why after all this time I'm thinking sax player. John Mamby..........another familiar name, I met this person, probably at Maestros. I'm thinking bass player. This is REALLY taxing my synapses, what's left of em..I'm away for a lie-down.

As for OJ, well.......suffice to say I once helped stamp the wee drummer cat on some of the early record sleeves. Let's leave it at that......

:D

and ps, I've been on the board two years and I still haven't figured the quote function; I think it's down to being a vaguely artistic type. I just don't get IT stuff.......it's too logical and it speaks a weird language.

Well done Mr T.

The wee drummer cat on OJ's early record sleaves is it. Goodness, that has got me thinkin'. I'm intrigued. Leave that one with me...

Maestros! SWL And ROF

How about Sneaky Pete?

Fraser Spears?

I still see Fraser Spiers now and then. Lovely bloke, still gigging regularly. He won a big award from the Scottish Arts Council last year along with Bill Sweeney.

I still have in my possession a book he gave me on my 21st birthday, a partay was had in my (then) flat in Alfred Terrace.

Given I've just turned 50, I'd cry that a lasting friendship!

OJ update if you're interested: Edwyn is still in recovery from his sudden illness last year (he had a brain haemorrhage, as I'm sure you know). It was feared he may not walk again or recover the power of speech. He's done both.

Steven Daly, former drummer, is now a writer and contributes regularly on music topics to Vanity Fair (my fave magazine ever).

James Kirk formed a new band recently. Await developments.

But Sneeky Pete, you've got me there. I couldn't honestly name one person in that band.... over to you! Or maybe Dexter St Clair; a Glasgow scenester, big-style.

Also, JJ, my fellow mod, and Onny both worked for Unicorn Leisure so will likely recall a lot of the bands, given Maestros was one of Unicorn's venues.......

Endgames anyone?

And from the Edinburgh contingent; Josef K, Fire Engines?

By the lord, what happened to us all?

:D:lol::lol:

Sneaky Pete? Were they not managed by John McCalman of Radio Clyde or am I thinking of some other mob.

The Dolphins, The Khyber Trifles are all of a blur although I do recall the Trifles did a good version of Joe Walsh's Rocky Mountain Way.

The Dolphins like to indulge in a long tale from the singer who had adopted the personna of a soldier in the trenches in the Great War before penning his ode. His introductions to these ditties provoked some sympathy from the audience for such soldiers; at least we had a pint to numb the horrors.

Thank god punk came along to save the day.

I've dug out my copy of Jammy but Nice and of course John McCalman managed Underhand Jones.

"The Khyber Trifles are all of a blur although I do recall the Trifles did a good version of Joe Walsh's Rocky Mountain Way. "

Goodness, yes, Saturday mornings in the Curlers. God, what a racket and it wiz murder tryin' to elbow then oot the road to get to the lavvies.

Ye had to make a dash in and oot between numbers like "Sister Golden Hair Surprise" or be stuck there for the duration of RMW. Who were these people?

The Kybers were bad enough but the Dolphins sound horrendous :shock:

RT, you're right about Edwyn. I see his family quite often and as you say, he's fightin his way back.

It's good to know Mr Spears is still goin' strong. I have an abiding image of him as a big tall skinny, hairy lummox wae trousers tighter than they should have been - but then who didnae look like that.

Come on, own up, who had loons?

Glasgow's answer to Jaco Pastorius is called John Manbie. He's in Australia now, but not just because nobody could spell his name. Andy Hamilton is now in London - confusing because there's another London saxman by that name, fae Jamaica. Also in London: Colin Tully, film soundtrack writer and ex-Cado Beller - all the Cados went south in fact. Alan, who was a tone-setter for guitarists back home has a production company near Carnaby Street. Probably the kind of gig Hendrix would have if he'd survived. The Motels: pre Al Gowans (who has returned to his 'real' job of psychotherapy, in London) on bass was Billy Lang, and his pal James joined up briefly on lead guitar. A bloody hot guitarist too. We lost touch; too bad. Before that the bass player was nicked from the Khyber Trifles. Another two keyboard men besides Al Kerr were Danny Thompson and Ronnie Teape. Ronnie's gigging round London with various line-ups. A loss to rock is Brian 'Bemo' Miller, who gave up drums to sing, in London. He was bloody good on the traps, but he can sing fine too, the ######. Craig Lockhart has drifted into journalism.

I last saw Alan Darby at T in t'Park, where I put in a shift or three every year, when he was playing with Lulu's band, that woulda been about 5 years ago now....

Also saw him on TV and on the front pages of all the redtops, behind Wur Queen, on her birthday thang at Hyde Park but I cannae remember what band he was sessioning in at the time, McCartney prolly.....ah god love im, he looks great for a man in his 50s.............LOL! GRRRRRRRRR!

Last I heard of Colin Tully he was living in Kelvinbridge and teaching the Alexander Technique (of what is yet to be ascertained)......

I met Mick from the Khybers with his tall teenage son in Byres Rd not so long ago. Can't for the life of me recall the bassist's name (the one you nicked, Mr Motel!)

And finally, I did recall John Mamby/Manby whatever as being a fine bass player but if you really HAVE to make Jaco Pastorius comparisons, you need look no further than Sir Ewen of Vernal.........

Re Ronnie Teape, I think I may be confusing him with Ronnie Heeps, of this parish. The latter is completely nuts, in a good way. Anyone know him?

Hi.

Sorry to butt in, newbie that I am.

This forum is the only hit you get if you Google "The Khyber Trifles". I believe that's a Googlewhack!

I Googled it because my grandfather has been banging on for years about this band. I did not believe they ever existed but I promised my grandfather I would look. I have now found out some stuff about them and I have put some of the material I have got on to a cheap (i.e. free) website at:

http://thekhybertrifles.mysite.orange.co.uk

You kind people seem to have some among your number who knew them.

If you have any recollections, information or photos I'd be delighted to hear from you.

Regards,

Eddie G