Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
HollowHorn

Musical Nostalgia

Guest westender

FFS HH - bloody brilliant. Thanks!

They don't make them like that any more - more's the pity. Modern life is rubbish.

Gawd ah miss him so ah dae..... :D

That's a great piece. I wonder what Alex would be like now if he'd survived; he'd be 70. Some thought....

Ted McKenna must have been half Alex's age when he joined the band. He's teaching music at a Glasgow college these days and still gigging, sans flowing locks however :D

Guest westender

That's a great piece. I wonder what Alex would be like now if he'd survived; he'd be 70. Some thought....

Ted McKenna must have been half Alex's age when he joined the band. He's teaching music at a Glasgow college these days and still gigging, sans flowing locks however :D

Indeed. Tear Gas were mere striplings when Alex snapped them up. He was like a faither to the boys. Ted is looking great; and is still one of the best rock tubthumpers in the world.

8)

I think Alex would be King of the World, or at least of an independent Restoration Scotland....

Ah saw Tear Gas when they wur in thur infancy, minny years ago in the Wattermill Hotel in Paisley. They wur daein things like the auld Jethro Tull nummer, "Love Story", which they rezurectit wi' Alex oan the SAHB album, "Penthouse Tapes". That album huz the best vershin o' "Runaway", ye'll iver hear, tho' Del Shannon might no' agree.

Dis any of you remember Stone the Crows? I saw them live only the once at Saints and Sinners.

There was also a whole bunch of good bands that followed SAHB and STC, in the mid 70s. Fond memories of Cado Belle, Chou Pahrot, Chico and Croppa. All beginning with C for some reason.... :D

Oh and Kokomo, not entirely Scots, I'll give you that, but Jim Mullen made that band more than the sum of its parts.

Am I out on a limb here or whit? I'll get my bus pass :wink:

Dis any of you remember Stone the Crows?
Me no google...Maggie Bell?

There was also a whole bunch of good bands that followed SAHB and STC, in the mid 70s. Fond memories of Cado Belle, Chou Pahrot, Chico and Croppa. All beginning with C for some reason.... :D

Aye, Catinahat, ma favrit :lol:

Kokomo, not entirely Scots, I'll give you that, but Jim Mullen made that band more than the sum of its parts.

I always thought that Kokomo were West Coast American,just goes to show, the more you think you know, the less you know, witness Westie!

Dis any of you remember Stone the Crows?

How appropryit tae menshin the Craws oan this threid, as Alex's brither, Les Harvey, wiz in the baun - alang wi' Maggie Bell as HH rightly said. Ah seem tae remember that there wur aye stories that Les & Maggie wur romantically linked, but ah coodnae say fur shoor. Mibbes wanny yooz kin confirm ur refyoot that. Ah kin still remembur when Les wiz sadly electrocuted oan stage.

Guest westender

How appropryit tae menshin the Craws oan this threid, as Alex's brither, Les Harvey, wiz in the baun - alang wi' Maggie Bell as HH rightly said. Ah seem tae remember that there wur aye stories that Les & Maggie wur romantically linked, but ah coodnae say fur shoor. Mibbes wanny yooz kin confirm ur refyoot that. Ah kin still remembur when Les wiz sadly electrocuted oan stage.

I seem to remember that it happened right in front of Maggie. She was never the same after.

Whit a bloody awful thing to happen.

Guest westender

the more you think you know, the less you know, witness Westie!

You've no idea what I know I know.

Away you an pick on sumbdy yer ain size ya nugget

Kokomo were English cept for Jim Mullen. They were big mates with Cado Belle cos both were influenced by the US funk ethic, 'cept a bit more anaesthetised.... a kinda fusion between raw early 70s US funk and the high production values of Gary Katz and Quincy Jones (just two examples) in the mid 70s.

I was a fan of both bands, and indeedy promoted them at the QM but just as they were breaking, around 1977, the punk movement took off, anathema to well-produced, well crafted musicianship and a phenomenon that dominated the music press at the time, leaving no space for alternatives.

Re Les Harvey, correct JJ, he was of course the wee bro of Alex. True, there was the rumour that he and Maggie were an item but I don't know if it was true. I remember hearing the news about the accident as well, JJ. It was horrible. Rock'n'roll these days is health and safety'd out but there was a similar incident with a band I know only last year in a small venue. Fortunately nobody was badly hurt.

Who was in that band and where did they play?

Well now (dredging the memory cells bigstyle) Croppa were a Glasgow band, usually about 8 of them onstage. The singer was one Tommy Jackson and Mark Goldinger played sax. The rest of the lineup was pretty fluid but I'm thinking Bobby Paterson on bass. The guitarists name I forget, but he was also Bobby ( or Robert). I can still see him mentally, the name will come back to me if I sleep on it...

They played the Amphora, Saints and Sinners ( I think) and very often the QM, I used to slot them in as local support to touring bands, or as part of a Scottish bill, most usually with the others named above.

Mind you that lot coulda been Chico. They were kinda interchangeable!

If you can remember the full line up Dex, post away. And I owe you 50p, not forgotten

:twisted:

I’ve been listening a lot recently to the Emmylou Harris album “Wrecking Ball” (Daniel Lanois Producing) There is so much beauty there, so much going on, even the Artwork is sublime (A rarity on cd) My favourite track is “Sweet Old World (Lucinda Williams) It’s an album for a lifetimes listening, everyone has them, that half dozen discs that are kept in reserve and brought forth when the soul needs nourishment. Anyone care to name their six of the best?

I know that I really should not, but I can't help myself:

See what you lost when you left this world, this sweet old world

The breath from your own lips, the touch of fingertips

A sweet and tender kiss

The sound of a midnight train, wearing someone's ring

Someone calling your name

Somebody so warm cradled in your arm

Didn't you think you were worth anything

Millions of us in love, promises made good

Your own flesh and blood

Looking for some truth, dancing with no shoes

The beat, the rhythm, the blues

The pounding of your heart's drum together with another one

Didn't you think anyone loved you

...Cado Belle...

Davie Roy, ex-drummer, is alive and well and living in Gt Westen Rd. Or was the last time I saw him.

Davie Roy, ex-drummer, is alive and well and living in Gt Westen Rd. Or was the last time I saw him.

I knew Davie rather well in the late 70s :oops: He lived in Buckingham Terrace then. I haven't run into him for a couple of decades, I wonder if we'd still recognise each other???

Colin Tully, the former sax player, became an Alexander teacher and was practising in the West End a couple of years ago, don't know if he still is.

Alan Darby went on to great things. One of the most in demand session guitarists in the country since he moved to London. I last spoke to him a couple of years ago at T when he was playing in Lulu's band. Most recent sighting was on TV at that big gig for the Queen's birthday. He hardly looks a day older despite the passing of, gulp, almost 30 years.

I've no idea what the others went on to do.

I last saw Davie at the Oran Mor at the Tsunami Fund raiser and I sometimes bump into him at the State bar on Tuesdays when the blues jam is on. He used to drink in the Doublet and on one occasion when he, Jack Casey and Kenny Hislop were in we renamed it The Drummers' Graveyard for the evening.

I know Kenny, but who did Jack Casey play for, Dex?

Dont be a pain in the arse Rico!

Drop it.

You're the pain in the ass Oz. You're only a mod. They come, they go and your time must be just about up,. And BTW it's Lynnski's job to look after the bag lady.

She challenged me to prove she'd said it was illegal after doing a quick edit to her original post. Of course you mods don't know that can be done without it leaving a "this post has been edited by L I A R" or whatever user name the poster has.

She's been caught by her trick of quoting everything in her replies and by some one who knows his way around message boards.

article-0-0561D9CE000005DC-444_468x350.jpg

Before my time , LOL. You sweet-talkin devil you!

Maybe by a month or three

:wink:

Tryin to remember now who else was in the Lift? Ross Campbell? Shug Brankin? Haven't seen John K for a few years but he'd moved into press/PR then.

BTW, by strange coincidink, the bloke who runs the market stall on Ruthven Lane next to Oxfam had a copy of Cado Belle's album today for £2. Don't know if you're familiar with the stall but there were was some interesting looking stuff there, and in not bad nick.

I woulda investigated more but a young boy had an accident nearby. Folks gathered round to try to help, the stall owner carried a chair over and a passing nurse took control of the situation and looked after him. Whoever she was, well done you.

Carrying on a debate that's ongoing on a music board elsewhere, do you think it's true that Glasgow has produced more great bands than Edinburgh?

A mate of mine who lectures in Music Performance at Ayr Campus is working on an exercise to map all the great bands that have come out of Scotland, and in the main, there seems to be a big bias towards Glasgow, with Edinburgh second and very very few from Dundee, Stirling and Aberdeen.

Why might this be?

Guest westender

Carrying on a debate that's ongoing on a music board elsewhere, do you think it's true that Glasgow has produced more great bands than Edinburgh?

A mate of mine who lectures in Music Performance at Ayr Campus is working on an exercise to map all the great bands that have come out of Scotland, and in the main, there seems to be a big bias towards Glasgow, with Edinburgh second and very very few from Dundee, Stirling and Aberdeen.

Why might this be?

Because Glasgow's brilliant and everywhere else is pish, of course.

Plus the effect of the Gulf Stream..."here come those Santa Ana winds again".... blowing the breath of genius into us

Never mind quantity - it's all about quality. Glasgow may have produced more bands than Edinburgh, but none of them has even come close to achieving the dizzy heights of international success and acclaim that the Bay City Rollers achieved.