Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

The Third Eye Centre

‘What We Did Then, And Are Pleased To Do Again: The Return of Glasgow Style’.

The CCA, 350 Sauchiehall Street, Friday 14th December

Back in the 1980s some of the city’s most innovative designers and trendiest bands got together for a mini-festival celebrating Glasgow Style.

Young fashionistas and musicians including The Beat Poets, The Styng Rites and the BMX Bandits captured the buzz and diversity of the city's arts scene and performed over three nights against the backdrop of Sauchiehall Street’s influential Third Eye Centre.

The Third Eye Centre is now the art hub that is the CCA, and appearing there this Friday at The Return of The Glasgow Style will be: Four piece beat group The New Piccadillys, fronted by Keith Warwick and former Styng Rytes band member George Miller, will reunite with fellow Glasgow Style alumni The Beat Poets and the BMX Bandits.

Should be a good trip down memory lane. I have very fond memories of The Third Eye Centre. I think that's where I first tasted lentil dishes. The place had a great atmosphere but the restaurant wasn't my favourite place to dine. :lol:

It was a very arty farty establishment in its day. The cafe balcony upstairs at the CCA is a favourite haunt of mine in the summer and much better than the drab cafe at The Third Eye. As I remember it it was sterile and very lacking in atmosphere with a lot of pulse coloured food. Too many beans but there were some interesting exhibitions. Maybe not that great as I don't recall any in particular. I don't remember the Glasgow Style Concert but I'm sure they wouldn't say it took place if it hadn't.:lol:

I have similar memories to Canny Lass. I have it in my head that I first met the late Allan Mawn in the Third Eye Centre and he was working there in some capacity?

Come on on Dexter, dig deep into the memory bank.....

At CCA, 350 Sauchiehall Street

TOM%20M.sized%20jpg.JPG

Tom McGrath Trust Celebration and Fundraiser

Friday 1 March 2013

7:30pm - 11:00pm

Adult: £8.00

Venue: CCA 5

Ages: all

Call the CCA Box Office on 0141 352 4900 or book-online.gif

Established in March 2011 to honour Tom’s individual contribution to Scotland’s cultural development and his passionate support for Scotland’s artists, the Tom McGrath Trust has sought to provide small grants that can make a big difference to artists and theatre-makers working in Scotland today.

The event will be held in the theatre of the CCA, which Tom established as the Third Eye Centre in the 1970s. The evening will feature work from artists supported by the Trust as well as readings from other writers. We will also be joined by musician Dave Trouton and other musician friends of Tom’s who played jazz and boogie woogie with him over the years. The event will also act as a fundraiser for the Trust and will include a charity auction. The event is supported by the CCA and Playwrights' Studio, Scotland.

The Tom McGrath Trust is set up to honour the life and legacy of Tom McGrath, poet, playwright and creative maverick, who died in 2009. Inspired by Tom’s boundless generosity of spirit and his passion for supporting Scottish playwrights, the Trust aims to be a source of inspiration, stimulation and support for artists seeking to develop their craft.

For more information visit http://tommcgrath-trust.org.uk/