Guest westender

Byres Road

Byres Road  

40 members have voted

1. 1.

• More fun now than it's ever been
    • Better fun in the auld days

Well it wid hardly huv been in the Evenin Times this mornin, wid it? :wink:

In fact, the first edition of the Evening Times hits the streets before noon or shortly afterwards. Useful to know for student flat-hunters.

In fact, the first edition of the Evening Times hits the streets before noon or shortly afterwards. Useful to know for student flat-hunters.

Then it shoodnae be ca'd the Evenin Times ony mair, shood it?

Onywiy, yoo ur Neil Caple an' ah claim mah £5. :wink:

I've used SEARCH and can't find the discussion on McEwan's Export. Anyway it is still alive , well and on draft at RD's Bistro in Aviemore.

A lotty auld threids wur unforchoonately loast by aksident in a recent prunin eksercise by Jimbo whit went a wee bit wrang. The McEwan's Export wan wiz nae doot in amungst the caualties.

Still a fine pint tho'.

Anyone remember Grants music shop at the top of Byres Road from the 1980s?

It had me thinking, are there now two shops on that site when there was once one Grants shop? The post office looks too wee and pokey to be that big shop. :shock:

Guest thomas

I recall vaguely that music shop, someone I knew bought a keyboard and amp from it and later found out that the same gear could have been bought in town for a fraction of the cost.

That shop (which is now the PO) was once Laura Ashley's and before that lay vacant for much of my childhood - only the entrance of the doorway was used on a Sunday morning by the guy selling the Sunday Newspapers.

Guest thomas

Anyone remember Scotstoys?

Used to be in Byres Road, roughly where the Abbey and Boots are now. It was an off shoot from Scotsport the 'sportshop' in Great George Street. I got all my Airfix 1:32 Combat Sets there - my collection is worth a mint now, if I was to go by Ebay prices and the demand, especially for some of the rarer pieces, which I have.

Bring back these old shops instead of all the Estate Agents, Charity and bog standard boring stores. We should start a campaign! I liked the wee independent record business, with the two brothers that looked like overgrown hippies but knew their stuff and were so helpful whenever you needed to find the number of an old stylus or whatever.

That would be Echo Records? Could be totally off beam here but Dex'll likely remember; were they not the Listen Brothers who'd had a couple of stores in town (and one in Paisley, maybe?). Called Listen, rather unsurprisingly.

They had a double shop on the Byres Rd site at one point in the 80s (I think) then shrunk it down into one after the the megastores arrived in town. It finally went about 5? years ago?

Laura Ashley was (I think) a single shopfront with basement where the PO is now. The old PO was next to Woolies at the time, wasn't it?

Guest thomas

The old P.O was next to Woolies.

Funny you mention the basement of that shop. I recall hearing a 'rumour' many years ago, when the then City Bakeries owned a big shop in Byres Road they sold the building on, not realising that the property had a basement. It came from an Estate agents mouth to my ears and he was once very prominent in the West End. Still don't know if he was pulling my leg. That shop is now the Italian Restaurant in Byres Road, before that it was KFC and Wimpey.

I may be right, I may be wrong but was/is there not a function suite still above that restaurant (it's name escapes me)?

Guest onyirtodd

Funny you mention the basement of that shop. I recall hearing a 'rumour' many years ago, when the then City Bakeries owned a big shop in Byres Road they sold the building on, not realising that the property had a basement. It came from an Estate agents mouth to my ears and he was once very prominent in the West End. Still don't know if he was pulling my leg. That shop is now the Italian Restaurant in Byres Road, before that it was KFC and Wimpey.

I may be right, I may be wrong but was/is there not a function suite still above that restaurant (it's name escapes me)?

You believed an estate agent?

Guest thomas

I listened to him! I wouldn't deliberately stereotype anyone - anyway, it makes a good myth if it isn't true!

That would be Echo Records? Could be totally off beam here but Dex'll likely remember; were they not the Listen Brothers who'd had a couple of stores in town (and one in Paisley, maybe?). Called Listen, rather unsurprisingly.

I'm sure we did this when Echo closed. Yes the brothers started i believe in dundas street or therabouts.

there's a whole lost records shop thread in hidden glasgow

http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewto...st+record+shops

Guest thomas

They did have a double shop and both shops were quite dark inside. The brothers were quite shy (well that's the impression they gave me, one more so than the other) but they were both grafters as often I would pass their shop and they would still be working away at 10pm or so.

I don't know if they had enough of trying to eek out a living, won the lottery or made it - but I certainly miss the shop. I got a great set of headphones from them, they were expensive but a whole lot cheaper than in town.

I have a gut suspicion that the guys knew with all the new formats for listening to music etc, that they decided to bale out before losing out - just my idle opinion but I always thought they were one step ahead of most.

You could pick up so many CD's in there that were just not available anywhere else, great for imports.

So many CD's of artists with white skins which meant Fopp tanned their asses with their cut price soul, funk and jazz cds and vinyl.

The function suite was Dowanhill House, you would enter via a glass door and straight upstairs where Bookworld is. Downhill House is currently the head office of the Bowie Castlebank Group, who run Klick and Munro cleaners (formerly Castlebank Laundry) and the entrance is now in Dowanside Lane. There were two function suites and a pay booth in the foyer, as it operated as a restaurant when not hosting funtions.

Re. the basement: I worked there when it was Wimpy and later Burgerking and the only basement was in the extended part of the building, there was no access to any space under the tenement. I don't know if there is access to that area from the Oxfam shop or if it actually belongs to the close between Oxfam or Paperinos

Ah, very illuminating, AlanM!

Some time ago, before the Great Pruning, someone posted a picture of the original doorway to Dowanhill House here on the board. Despite being up and doon Byres for 40 odd years I'd never noticed it... :oops:

A coupla days later I went down for a look. It's still there, or it was a year ago.

The close beside the travel agent still has Dowanhill House written above it but that wasn't the main entrance, probably a staff entrance / fire exit. The glass door on Byres Rd went when Wimpy and Bargain Books moved in (1988)

So many CD's of artists with white skins which meant Fopp tanned their asses with their cut price soul, funk and jazz cds and vinyl.

If you say so, Dex. As it was the artists with white skins that I was buying, it suited me just dandy.

What's this? Retro PC?

Granted Dexter, there was little in the way of soul/funk etc in Echo but to be fair, back then in the 80/90s it was a bit of a niche market no?

It's only recently that genre has been rediscovered by the wannabe DJ weans or indeed plundered by collectors who've always been intae it.

Chill down! Echo did a good line in reggae, which was what the coolest westenders were intae in the late 70s/ early 80s. Needless to say, I wisnae one of em.....merely tagged along wi the cool folks.

:cry: :lol:

Granted Dexter, there was little in the way of soul/funk etc in Echo but to be fair, back then in the 80/90s it was a bit of a niche market no?

They never stocked it in the 70's either and everything else they sold was a niche market too.

The Original Virgin shop sold blues and soul, Bruces sold Reggae and 23rd Precinct managed to shift soul/disco music and West End records had the latest 12s and import singles. All managed to stock and sell what the brothers sold as well.

23rd precinct still survives and Listen and Echoes are closed. Fopp is moving into DVDs and cutting the vinyl but buyers move on. I get mine on my bimonthly visit to Tottenham Court Road and Berwick Street and online from Dusty Grooves and fatcity.

Guest thomas

Some things the brothers sold that the big stores didn't were needles for old style gramophones amongst a vast assortment of other accessories that other stores didn't bother their backsides to sell. I could get a hold of 120 blank cassettes and endless cassettes too. You very rarely came across items like those in Virgin, Fopp or anywhere else for that matter.

On another note, when did Casa Cassettes close? Strangely enough, I recall going in there a number of years ago (they were good at locating obscure or old records, etc - unless deleted and even then they had 'contacts') and it wasn't until last month or so that it dawned on me they were no longer there!

Yeah, the Echo bros were good for blank cassettes. The baby bands of the time went there to get supplies to copy off demos to send to Mark Goodier and Dirty Dick---back when they were still allowed to play local band demos on Clyde.

But I digress......

Lost in Music up in De Courcey's arcade has hunners of cassettes, annoyingly stored so they all fall down when you pull one out.

:roll: