Byres Road

Byres Road  

40 members have voted

1. 1.

• More fun now than it's ever been
    • Better fun in the auld days

Guest westender

Indubit... indubl..... indutib... Aye!

So the average stag do these days isn't about drink & sex? (talkin aboot it if no daein it)?

I'm struggling to see a difference between stag/hen dos than any other regular weekend out on the piss in the toon. Any toon. Cringeworthy so they are.

Disagree about traditional party games JJ. The kids nowadays are mighty hard to impress but take it from me, my wee one's friends giggle themselves silly over the grapefruit game and spin the bottle. Probly because they're a novelty. Bless...

They're all sick of organised parties like bowling. They do that all the time. And at these 'parties' they get a specific regimented timetable before they're force fed chicken bloody nuggets and chips and then get a party bag full of unimaginative crap. And all for £20 a head? NONSENSE!

:D

my wee one's friends giggle themselves silly over the grapefruit game and spin the bottle. Probly because they're a novelty. Bless... :D
Aye, what was the game where you used to go outside the livingroom door for a kiss? Was It "Postman's Knock"? Did Rhumpole already bring this up? :?:

Postman's Knock it was.

Awwwww the disappointment when you didnae get the person you fancied, eh?

And now that most of us enjoy the comfort of the kingsize bed, do you no miss the hurly-burly of snogging under the coats at a party? :roll:

Ah beg your pardin rolly..ah never snogged under any coats in ma life..hell ah wore ankle socks and training bras till ah wis sixteen.... ahm jist finding oot noo what a knee trembler was ....... here ah thought the terminology was simpley heavy duty kissin...

Did you ever send out your party guests to go oot fer bread and jam....usually to the moaniest faced neighbour in the street? What about that "awave awave above yer head deal' game ..ah didnae quite get that wan... cannie mind how it went but was it a truth and dare game?

Aye, what was the game where you used to go outside the livingroom door for a kiss? Was It "Postman's Knock"? Did Rhumpole already bring this up? :?:

I preferred Dustman's knock ....same idea as postman's knock but much dirtier :lol:

Ah, whatever happened to parties, eh?

z'farr as i can make out they're still happenin every Thursday,Friday, saturday, sunday night in the flat below mine - thump thump of very loud bass music and very loud new zealand noises shouting till 5am - grrrrrrrrrr (sour grapes as i remember time when it wiz my parties annoying the neighbours................ :?

Lordy DD, we've become wir own parents!

Don't even TEMPT me to recall certain parties....it'd be like trying to remember the long-lost concept of fun... :wink:

Lordy DD, we've become wir own parents!

Don't even TEMPT me to recall certain parties....it'd be like trying to remember the long-lost concept of fun... :wink:

those of you around in the late 70s may remember that Kersland Street was particularly renowned for huge raucous parties - one particularly good one i attended in a flat on the top floor got raided by the police and my most vivid memory is of tons of folk throwing little packets of dope out the windies only for them to get snagged in the branches of trees below..... 8) an after the polis had gone the packets were fished back into the party.....

snagged in the branches of trees below..... 8).

Are ye shoor they wurny snagged in the tights in the trees below?

Wiz embdy at a certain party in Arlington St, circa 1973, when 72 were arrested? This might jog yer mem'ry:

Two flats on the same landing, joint party (so to speak).

Tenant below comes up wi Big Knife, says 'Turn it doon or ah'll chib yese'.

Big hockey-playin flatmate says 'Eff aff'.

Recreational chemicals huv been previously disposed of in anticipation of Polis arrivin.

Polis arrive; 72 are lifted from the flat opposite. St Andrew's nick, bail set at £5

Six of us wur in ma flat, singin 'Suzanne gets ye down'. We don't get lifted. We huv a whip round and find we can get three folk oot. We select three we know huv money, so we can blag it an get merr oot.

Ah sign 20 bail forms during the course of the night.

Ma then girlfriend, Sally, wis in the flat opposite, chattin up some big currint. Ah know she's goat nae money so ah leave hur in the nick till morning.

Guys amuse themselves by playing 'snap' wi the cell mattresses and footy wi the breakfast rolls.

Days pass......

PF agrees to accept plea of not guilty from 52 provided they get a plea of guilty from the furst 20.

Sally is amongst furst 20. 'Guilty' she says tae the Beak.

'Who dae ye think ye ur, hen,' says Beak, 'Joan of Arc? Ah meant the furst 20 men!'

Guilty are admonished. We make the Harold.

Aye, them wur parties. MLIR

Wisnae at that one, Artoo. Wish I hada been :lol:

That's the best laugh of the week so far!

Wis any of youse ever at any of the Glasgow St parties in the mid to late 70s? Can't recall the exact number but it was opposite Hillhead school. 24 rings a bell. (Or maybe I'm thinking of a Gibson St party flat)..... It was a top floor and attic, occupied for many a year by 'artistic' types, one moved out, another moved in.

Complete belters of parties in that place. Fond memories. If only I could remember them..... :cry:

my most vivid memory is of tons of folk throwing little packets of dope out the windies only for them to get snagged in the branches of trees below..... 8)

Remember the drug squad used to drive around in that little mini-bus type vehicule in the late 60s & early 70s. It was obvious as anything. I got stopped & questioned by them once as I was walking along Horselethill Rd. They started asking questions about a certain flat in Crown Gardens. As it happened, a party was scheduled there for the Saturday night so we warned everyone off. The flat was duly busted but there were only 5 people in it thanks to the warning.

'Who dae ye think ye ur, hen,' says Beak, 'Joan of Arc? Ah meant the furst 20 men!'

You just know that's true! :lol:

He he.

I was walking on Horselethill Road this avo, there's a huge development going on in the former Horselethill House. Nae workies to be seen. They were probly all round Crown Gardens.....being nearly the weekend an a :lol:

I would say Byres Road was a lot cooler in the good old, bad old days (60s & 70s), it's still retained that cool nowadays but my preference was in the former period as there was more an element of experimenting and danger in pushing the barriers to new limits.

Nowadays everything is so accessible and available, the mystique has been removed somewhat.

We lost the old-fashioned grocers but have got Peckhams.

'Old' might be an appropriate description of Peckhams merchandise according to a report in the Evening Times this evening.

Well it wid hardly huv been in the Evenin Times this mornin, wid it? :wink:

Could have saved my post until tomorrow evening, then I dould have said it was in yesterday evening's Evening Times just to make it sound like recent nostalgia

Guest westender

How, whit did it say in the ET?

I don't like Peckham's. Their big "don't dae this and don't dae that" lifestyle instructions list in the windae is spelt, punctuated & apostrophe'd all wrang. Dafties.

How, whit did it say in the ET?

I don't like Peckham's. Their big "don't dae this and don't dae that" lifestyle instructions list in the windae is spelt, punctuated & apostrophe'd all wrang. Dafties.

their maths aint too hot either - forever overcharging yi, gotta check your change - but I forgive em cos they're friendly, always apologise and give yi yer money once yi point out the error o their ways, play nice music and have various staple items I like (not always hugely more expensive than elsewhere (eg 6 bottles o peroni for 5 quid) :lol: :wink: