Sign in to follow this  
Guest westender

Byres Road

Byres Road  

40 members have voted

1. 1.

• More fun now than it's ever been
    • Better fun in the auld days

Is Byres Road in its current incarnation still The Place Tae Be?

Or was it better in the auld days...when it had actual real shops that sold things real folk needed?

Yese'll know my take on this...MLIR

but I've only been here since 1987, whit dae ah know?Is not modern life rubbish? C'mon folks, persuade me otherwise... :wink:

My point was and is that G12 is losing its identity, its character and gradually becoming a diluted version of the City Centre with chain coffee shops and Stephan King Lane.

So - my West End would not be the West End without the Woody. What about you? What would the West End not be the West End without...for you? :?:

My then girlfriend had a flat in Cecil St about 1975. My recollection is also that Goodies shut in the early hours. There was also a Goodies curry-oot (now India Cafe?) that won the Monday Sail award for the best in Glasgow.

In 1975 I lived at No 2 Alfred Terrace. Above the shop, if you will.

A party flat and no mistake.... have we met in a previous life Artoo? So frequent were the post Doublet allnighters that we coulda passed in my hallway and never have known :wink:

In 1975 I lived at No 2 Alfred Terrace. Above the shop, if you will.

Egad, the Archduke currently lives in Alfred Terr - can't remember the number though. I'll point him out in the Chip.

A party flat and no mistake.... have we met in a previous life Artoo?

More than likely. My lifestyle then was fairly, well, frenetic. I'll tell you someday about the time I told the Director of the National Engineering Laboratory that if I continued to work there I'd end up with his job - and I didn't fancy that.

Small World Story #23: I gather from last night's conversation in t'Chip that the Archduke and Rolo are already acquainted - him being a current resident of No 2.

Amazing; introduce me to him next time, Artoo? No 2 was divided into three flats when I lived there (on the first floor), I wonder if he lives in the same one?

I could tell him a few stories about fun had there in past times; perhaps it would make him want to move out tho :twisted:

And it might cause libel suits to be issued upon me by persons who've done rather well in their various careers since :wink: :D Tee Hee.

Ah, whatever happened to parties, eh?

Guest westender

Whit happened? I'll tell ye whit happened. Modern life killt all the good times when people were people stone deid, that's whit happened. Everybody's DEFINITELY GOT to be up in the morning; no question, no exception.

The lobby press under the sterrs - ladders, prams, bagpipes - a bag of kerry oot (2 dozen cans of export & wan solitary bottle of Bacardi "in case there's any wimmin") - singers & songs - "Jimmy said it wid be awright" - (there's always a Jimmy and this wan's upside doon behind the telly) - all gone, ancient history. Naebody goes back to embdy's hoose when the pub shuts because they might upset the ornaments/they'll dirty the kiddon widden flerr/ I don't really like them and they're no gettin in ma hoose

etc etc etc.

Just post the invites, Rolo. We'll be there.

Seriously, though, I do remember the sneaky business of getting a carry out in a bar without certain "party addicts" noticing and following you up the road to whichever address had been nominated for that evening's debauchery.

I also remember being at a three day party somewhere around the Yooni Library - Goodies did particularly well out of that one!

Happy (ish) days....

1011.gif

The lobby press under the sterrs - ladders, prams, bagpipes - a bag of kerry oot (2 dozen cans of export & wan solitary bottle of Bacardi "in case there's any wimmin") - singers & songs -

Ah wiz the sad basturt sittin at the boattuma the sterrs singin Lenny Cohen 'Songs To Slit Your Wrist To'.

'Susanne gets you dowwwweenn'.

Whit happened? I'll tell ye whit happened. Modern life killt all the good times when people were people stone deid, that's whit happened. Everybody's DEFINITELY GOT to be up in the morning; no question, no exception.

The lobby press under the sterrs - ladders, prams, bagpipes - a bag of kerry oot (2 dozen cans of export & wan solitary bottle of Bacardi "in case there's any wimmin") - singers & songs - "Jimmy said it wid be awright" - (there's always a Jimmy and this wan's upside doon behind the telly) - all gone, ancient history. Naebody goes back to embdy's hoose when the pub shuts because they might upset the ornaments/they'll dirty the kiddon widden flerr/ I don't really like them and they're no gettin in ma hoose

etc etc etc.

Too true, Westie, too true, wi the getting up thing. Mind you when the work ethic dictates, I find it simpler not to go to bed at a! You don't need as much sleep when you're as auld as I am :roll:

My neighbour thru the wall often has impromptu dos. She's got an upright Joanna that she plays rather well, and into the wee tiny hours, everybody present sings show tunes. Magic so it is.

Ach the houseproud thing does my nut in. So what if somebody spills wine on the carpet? I bought a red rug for ma hoose that just soaks it all up! And the floorboards are so ancient a wee bitty spillage makes no difference, it gives em character. 'Cept there's so many holes in them the stuff drips down into the kitchen underneath :D

As for ornaments, what are they FOR???

And another thing! Why have folks stopped giving their kids birthday parties in the hoose? My wee one's been to so many

desperately-conceived parties this summer it's tragic. Snowboarding, skiing, tubing, swimming, cinema, bowling et al. FFS what's wrong wi pass the parcel and the grapefruit game? The kids love that, no matter how sophisticatit they think they are :lol:

They still happen ..... Miss TOG goes to them all the time and they stay till the polis arrive to close them down .... just like in the guid old days.

And they still pee on the polis car door handles too :D

Snowboarding, skiing, tubing, swimming, cinema, bowling et al. FFS what's wrong wi pass the parcel and the grapefruit game?

Thur auld hat, that's whit's wrang wi' thum. When we wur young cost wiz the drivin factor, but that's no' the case theez days. Wee Britney is noo askin hur pals tae sumthin a bit mair exotic is aw.

Stag an' hen do's huv also moved furrit in modern times an' so they shood. JJ Jnr. is currently in San Antonio furra week oan a stag do, an' two munths ago he wiz in Praha oan anither wan. Ah only wish ah knew sumbuddy that wiz gettin merried onytime soon.

Shoorly theez do's, affordable in the present day, ur mair attractive propositions than a piss-up oan a friday night doon the local boozer, or w*rkin-men's club, afore strippin the condemned man and hauncuffin him tae sum lamp post in the middle o' Janyoowery, wi' 'is meat 'n' two veg a' shrivvelled up wi' the cauld an' wimmen gaun by sayin, "Pity the puir lassie that's lukkin furrit tae that ramorra night"?

Westie might huv a point in minny cases, but modern life cannae be wan hunner percent rubbish ye know. Sum things huv deffynately chainged fur the better.

Shoorly theez do's, affordable in the present day, ur mair attractive propositions than a piss-up oan a friday night doon the local boozer, or w*rkin-men's club, afore strippin the condemned man and hauncuffin him tae sum lamp post in the middle o' Janyoowery, wi' 'is meat 'n' two veg a' shrivvelled up wi' the cauld an' wimmen gaun by sayin, "Pity the puir lassie that's lukkin furrit tae that ramorra night"?

Whatever happened to putting the condemned man naked - and blind drunk - on the train to London?

Miss TOG goes to them all the time and they stay till the polis arrive to close them down .... just like in the guid old days.

And they still pee on the polis car door handles too :D

That feat must require a certain agility :shock:

what's wrong wi pass the parcel and the grapefruit game?

And postman's knock too! hit.gif

Mmmm! The grapefruit game.......Is that the one where ya roll the grapefruit over the next yins body withoot drapping it? ura.gif.......I remember it well if it is! :oops:

Guest westender

Whit happened? I'll tell ye whit happened. Modern life killt all the good times when people .....

.............etc etc etc.

:shock:

Y'know, I have no recollection whatsoever of posting this....!!!

Nice to read it today but!

8)

Guest westender

Westie might huv a point in minny cases,

:D Gettin there, JJ... ye're definitely gettin there

but modern life cannae be wan hunner percent rubbish ye know. Sum things huv deffynately chainged fur the better.

We've hud this conversation before. Whit's better noo?

Whit's better noo?

Well, as this is a threid aboot Byres Road, I'd have to say that ye's have got a much better pub scene there than in the past, what with the development of Ashton Lane, the opening of new pubs like Oran Mor, the refurbishing of auld favs like The Rock, Tennent's, Studio One, The Byre etc. and the up and coming Partick Cross area. Also, with the later opening times there's no the frenetic rush to down 3 pints in the hauf hour before chucking oot time. I think even you will have to concede defeat on that one, Westie.

Well, as this is a threid aboot Byres Road, I'd have to say that ye's have got a much better pub scene there than in the past, what with the development of Ashton Lane, the opening of new pubs like Oran Mor, the refurbishing of auld favs like The Rock, Tennent's, Studio One, The Byre etc. and the up and coming Partick Cross area.

Its just a shame what they did to they Ruby and that The Curlers has remained an awful pub.

Also, with the later opening times there's no the frenetic rush to down 3 pints in the hauf hour before chucking oot time.

I seem to remember that we had 10 mins to drink up. I could actually drink 3 pints in 10 mins in those days.

I think even you will have to concede defeat on that one, Westie.

Don't hold your breath :D

Guest westender

Well, as this is a threid aboot Byres Road, I'd have to say that ye's have got a much better pub scene there than in the past, what with the development of Ashton Lane

Ashton lane is a largely soulless and souldestroying hellhole of a place, charging way over the odds and full of dimwitted fashion victims. The perfect illustration of style over substance, with one honourable exception which has more effortless style than the lot of them pit thegither...

the opening of new pubs like Oran Mor

Aye, bouncers all day every day, attempted murder, uncomfortable seating, witless dreepydrawers staff...smashin. Oran Mor is far better as a venue than as a bar.

Tennent's, Studio One,

Jaysus, they've hardly been what ye'd call refurbished! They might have taken a scraper to the floor at one point, wiped the stoor aff the pies, mibbe...and anyway they don't count, since they've hardly changed from the times I'm talking aboot.

the up and coming Partick Cross area

Har, "up and coming" Here's a wee bet. Let's talk about from Farmfoods on Byres Rd doon the way, and along past Tribeca to Gallus. See in 5 year's time, the only pub that'll still be there in its present form will be the Three Judges; and lang may Helen's lum reek.

I would hope that Gallus will make it, despite the name, cos I think it looks right somehow - and it's daein music - but i doubt it will. (How long did Reids of Pertyck stand on that spot?)

Also, with the later opening times there's no the frenetic rush to down 3 pints in the hauf hour before chucking oot time. I think even you will have to concede defeat on that one, Westie

Aye, all this civilised drinkin up time - but the drunks have never been more thoroughly uncivilised & obnoxious; and in my opinion, in this neck of the woods anyway, it's never felt more dangerous at flingin oot time than it does these days.

Guest westender

Stag do's. Did ye no' read the full post?

Aye.

Stag dos, better noo? Naw they're no. It's still the same stupid drink-and-rutfest it always was, with cheap flights & a cheap hotels flung in.

Yese are a' just as much of a pain in the backside as yese always were, no matter where yese ur.

And don't get me started on hen parties....Better? I think not!