Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
The Jolly Jumjoogler

Nostalgia forum

Should we have a forum specifically for local nostalgia?  

26 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes - It would be beneficial to have a forum dedicated to the subject.
    • No - This subject matter can be covered adequately in threads on the main forum.

icon_clap.gif

Well done, posters to the West End Forum. It took yese a while, but yese got there eventually. Proper discussion of all things westendian, ie whit used to be on Byres Rd.........Maybe the discussion forum admin should consider abandonin the bits of the forum that are gettin feck all traffic ....... and start up a nostalgia bittie. Would be far livelier. Folk always discuss auld photies. They don't, it would seem hereaboots, discuss books.

Westie makes a good point here I feel. Too many good threads, like the one from which this quote was taken, die an eventual death and newcomers don't get to read the excellent, locally relevant content.

So, the question is this, are we happy to continue to have the occasional thread on subjects of local nostalgia or, would we prefer to see a new forum created specifically for this type of content? A forum where the likelihood of such threads being buried under moans about FWD vehicles, moblie phones, men in shorts and etc. would be greatly diminished.

Please vote in the associated poll and, if there is enough interest, I will contact Pat & Jim to see if this can be done. Personally, I think it would enhance the image of the discussion boards, not only for locals, but for visitors from outside the West End.

End of posh voice.

Guest westender

Jist how faur back kin "memories o byres road" take ye?

Who knows? But I know this much - people will always want to talk about the pasts that they share. They don't apparently want to talk about books - not on this dicussion board anyway.

Jist how faur back kin "memories o byres road" take ye?:lol:

Dunno, but I think TOG predates the drumlins :wink:

Naw, it's a big humpbacked thing wi' a long tail. :lol:

Guest westender

I've mentioned it afore. Check the date of the last post on the book forum. Sorry Christine!

I've mentioned it afore. Check the date of the last post on the book forum. Sorry Christine!

Yes, Westie we need to update a bit.

Let us know if you want a nostalgia section folk and Jim will do the job.

Can you hear the Hovis advert music.....

when ah wis wee mah mither could only afford the odd trip every year wae a least ten weans tae see francie and josie in a pantomine.... every noo and again we went tae a real place called edinburgh and saw the odd wan err....but the star er wis usually big..... like Francie and Josie.

Anyways...

Ah mind ah saw Neil Sedaka(oh gawd naw.....and Cliff Richard ahm sure....and lulu....) wanst on wannie ma visits and ah had ma very first Indian Curry at ten..which was disgusting but set me up to keep tasting it till wan day it became a joy....a wee bit like whisky.

Anyways ah digressed er fer issat naw what its awe aboot...nostalgia

Even though ahve never heard o hawf the places you talk about I still enjoy photos very much...nae snickering at the back but ah think that goes back to ma annual days where the only reading ah enjoyed had photos attached in strips that told wee stories.

I would look in often to peek at wenst end photies. I'm not selective though as I would love pictures frae anywhere aroon the globe, any era.....armchair travelling is brilliant for me. Love it.

Trapt in Canada...... wishing yis well the morrah night(ma tomorrow night but yoose awe sleeping its tonight.....

kin here yis awe noo singing wee songs getting ready fer the big night.....gurdills and talcum.... braces and old spice..... teeth awe scrubbed wae tablets that fizz and bleach tae dazzil and brylecream tae make yer herr shine....

' tonight tonight wont seem like any night'

Ah'm happy wi a WestEnd nostalgia forum provided we keep it tae the WestEnd and don't duplicate the stuff oan http://www.hiddenglasgow.com .

An ye need tae watch copyright oan pix taken fae urra sources. But ah'm sure Jim wull keep us right there.

And if ye don't already have a copy, get http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...262514?v=glance .

I think the trick is to make it "personal history" (very fashionable nowadays) perhaps illustrated with images. I'm sure there are many aspects of West End life that Hidden Glasgow doesn't cover because they are necessarily personal.

Nostalgia forum added. Sorry to take so long about it.

Have fun. :-)

jimbo

Guest lizo

Nostalgia forum added. Sorry to take so long about it.

Have fun. :-)

jimbo

I remember a time when Jim would have added that forum in a matter of hours.

I remember a time when Jim would have added that forum in a matter of hours.

minutes even!!!