Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Dexter St. Clair

Salmond Leaps.

I'm sure we were all waiting to explain the following on Question Time

Alex Salmond 'was scheduled' for talks with Jeremy Hunt on BSkyB

The Scottish government has confirmed that a call was scheduled last March between First Minister Alex Salmond and the UK Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt.

But it said the conversation, about News Corporation's bid for full control of satellite broadcaster BSkyB, did not ultimately take place.

Opposition leaders have called on Mr Salmond to make a statement at Holyrood about the affair.

But he's got other plans for Thursday evening and has pulled out of QT.

_59835861_emailgrab464.jpg

'In a bid to defuse a furious row before Salmond's own appearance at the Leveson inquiry into press standards, the first minister's spokesman confirmed that Salmond booked a call with the culture secretary on 3 March to press the UK government to clear News Corporation's takeover on economic grounds.'

He didn't make the call but the question is did Salmond offer to lobby the government on Murdoch's behalf regarding BSkyB?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/apr/25/alex-salmond-jeremy-hunt-bskyb?newsfeed=true

Politicians should be aware - or beware - of the friends they make.

I'm sure it will all come out in the wash :)

Perhaps, samsc.

Apparently Mr Salmond thought that a BSkyB takeover would have been ‘good for Scotland’. Was this the case or was he after the political support from Murdoch that Opposition Parties are suggesting? Who decides?

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/yes-i-agreed-to-lobby-for-news-international-admits-alex-salmond-1-2256076

Perhaps, samsc.

Apparently Mr Salmond thought that a BSkyB takeover would have been ‘good for Scotland’. Was this the case or was he after the political support from Murdoch that Opposition Parties are suggesting? Who decides?

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/yes-i-agreed-to-lobby-for-news-international-admits-alex-salmond-1-2256076

It's a pity Salmond has got caught up in this. It's bound to do him harm but he's a politician after all. They're in it for the career and the prestige these days.

Regarding the business with Trump and the wind farms, he was hardly likely to put Donald off his investment but a line needs to be drawn between business and how the country is governed. Salmond is right to tell him to trump off.

Now let's see what these local councillors are about. I hope people vote for the person rather than the party.

It looks as if Alex Salmond offered himself up to the Murdoch family to be a lobbyist for their bid to takeover BskyB. One day he denies it. The next day he admits he tried to. What will come tomorrow? Who will be the Nat making an Adam Smith style sacrifice?

Donald Trump is in town and he’s upset despite Salmond’s government giving him the go ahead to build a housing scheme in an area where planning permission had previously been denied.

Trump said that he received assurances from Alex Salmond that the European Offshore Wind Deployment Centre in Aberdeen Bay would not go ahead. Just as Alex Salmond has questions to answer over Rupert Murdoch, he really should come clean on what promises he made to Donald Trump. His kissass behaviour round multi millionaires is funny to most observers but it’s getting embarrassing.

Donald Trump is in town and he’s upset despite Salmond’s government giving him the go ahead to build a housing scheme

:lol::lol::lol:

A housing "scheme"!!

I can just see Trump's new luxury development - "Drumchapel-upon-Dee."

It looks as if Alex Salmond offered himself up to the Murdoch family to be a lobbyist for their bid to takeover BskyB. One day he denies it. The next day he admits he tried to. What will come tomorrow? Who will be the Nat making an Adam Smith style sacrifice?

Donald Trump is in town and he’s upset despite Salmond’s government giving him the go ahead to build a housing scheme in an area where planning permission had previously been denied.

Trump said that he received assurances from Alex Salmond that the European Offshore Wind Deployment Centre in Aberdeen Bay would not go ahead. Just as Alex Salmond has questions to answer over Rupert Murdoch, he really should come clean on what promises he made to Donald Trump. His kissass behaviour round multi millionaires is funny to most observers but it’s getting embarrassing.

Didn't Donald also say that a certain Kilt and frilly shirt wearing Jack McC promised him likewise? Or did you miss that bit?

they where "in bed" with every major politician since the mid 80's so i dont see how any party can point the finger at any other.

thats the politics work in this country....rich/powerful people lobby/wine/dine the people who can change things in their favour and usually get their way by promising investment/growth etc.

if you want dirt on sky just google thoic

Didn't Donald also say that a certain Kilt and frilly shirt wearing Jack McC promised him likewise? Or did you miss that bit?

Yes we know that Eck refuses to wear a kilt as he fears he'll suffer the same fate as Jack. But trews won't protect him.

Yes we know that Eck refuses to wear a kilt as he fears he'll suffer the same fate as Jack. But trews won't protect him.

If you wear bicycle clips they are highly effective

Lex McLean still lives.

BTW

"Questions are emerging from opposition parties about whether Scotland's first minister consulted his civil servants, ministers or economic investment agencies to get independent evidence on whether News Corps' BSkyB takeover was the best option for Scotland's economy."

Salmond's spokesman said: "The first minister was keen to put the case for Scottish jobs and investment and protecting the existing jobs." However, asked whether the first minister had any independent corroboration of this from the investment agency Scottish Enterprise or Scottish government civil servants, he said: "I have nothing to add to that."

yours for Scotland, Eck.

Opponents scoff at Salmond's claim he backed BSkyB for sake of jobs

they where "in bed" with every major politician since the mid 80's so i dont see how any party can point the finger at any other.

thats the politics work in this country....rich/powerful people lobby/wine/dine the people who can change things in their favour and usually get their way by promising investment/growth etc.

if you want dirt on sky just google thoic

I think you've got it well summed up, tig. Time for a bit more dignity and honour.

Do you how many national newspapers support Scotland leaving the UK and who owns it?

First Minister Alex Salmond has been accused of trying to "cover up" a meeting he had with Rupert Murdoch in New York.

News Corporation told the Leveson Inquiry into press ethics that the men got together during Tartan Week four years ago.

The engagement had not previously been disclosed by the Scottish government.

Cable got sacked for being a bit too open about his attitude towards New International, Adam Smith went, Hunt's still under pressure and Eck's benefiting because most of the attention is on the Culture Secretary. But Our Smug leader still thinks he can get away with being a secret cheerleader for Rupert Murdoch's plans to take over even more of the media in Britain.

He has a problem with multi millionaires and it's called kissass.

hes done nothing any other politician wouldnt do or hasnt done.

hes still the leader of the only major party worth voting for imho

because

he didnt start and illegal wars(costing billions of pounds and countless lives),

he didnt sell off the gold deposits.

he didnt pay off his banker mates, both nearly bankrupting the country in the process.

he hasnt tired to dismantle the welfare state causing untold misery to millions.

he hasnt tried to cut the wages of teachers/nurses etc because of where they live

he didnt lie through his teeth about student loans

he didnt cosy up to the right wing fascist party to get a wee bit of power and sell out most of his members in the process.

so love him or loath him, theres no alternative really.

its time to make our own choices i think, not have them made for us by doon sooth

hes done nothing any other politician wouldnt do or hasnt done.

hes still the leader of the only major party worth voting for imho

So who's the leader of a minor party worth voting for?

He kissed the arse of Murdoch and kept it quiet. We're about to crawl from one hole and drop into a bigger one if he gets his way. He can now get off his high horse and explain what he's up to. It's nothing to do with jobs

If you're not willing to fight for Scottish jobs and the Scottish economy, you shouldn't be in Scottish politics.

So says the First Minister.

But one of the questions raised by his willingness to lobby for Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation is what it has to do with the Scottish economy.

For sure, this is one of the biggest private sector employers in Scotland, with more than 6,000 jobs.

But it's less clear what the share deal which was being proposed by News Corporation, to take over all of BSkyB, had to do with its operations in Scotland.

Mr Salmond said his support for News Corp was to do with "major job losses" being threatened last year, when the company reduced the number of its contractors from nine to two.

As a result, he pointed out that HEROtsc won one of the contracts, and was "bringing 900 jobs to Glasgow".

Two points: at least 800 of those jobs were being brought to one part of Glasgow from another part of the city.

The other point is that the First Minister's response implies a link between BSkyB choosing to put/place jobs in Scotland and his support for News Corp buying all of the broadcaster's shares.

Douglas Fraser

As for illegal wars I do believe Salmond is keen for Scotland to remain in NATO which he previously accused of supporting an illegal war. Of course this will be nothing compared to the disturbances within the SNP if this reaches conferences. Or is Our Smug Leader convinced he will get away with it again.

So who's the leader of a minor party worth voting for?

you tell me....is there one?

He kissed the arse of Murdoch and kept it quiet.

so has every other leader....i cant find your complaints about them tho

As for illegal wars I do believe Salmond is keen for Scotland to remain in NATO which he previously accused of supporting an illegal war.

how many countries in NATO had nothing to do with the invasions....most of them.

the UK being in NATO had very little to do with the decision by LABOUR war criminals to invade countries for oil....killing hundreds of thousands of people in the process.

my point was/is....people in glass houses shouldnt throw stones and when your talking about the big 3 UK parties, well their glass is a lot thinner than others.

so who should we support then dex?....

war mongering bankers buddies? or the right wing fascists? or the sell out liars?

as ive said...hes the best of the bunch so far by a farmers wotsit