Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

Margaret Thatcher, Feminist Icon?

Meryl Streep and Ruth Davidson seem to have joined forces in presenting a new image of Margaret Thatcher, the women who didn't exactly encourage women into her cabinet, support equal pay or challenge domestic abuse, is now to be held up as a feminist icon.

So far as I see her interest in social equality was nil?

Interesting article by Cordelia Ditton challenges the view.

http://www.the3rdimagazine.co.uk/2012/01/feminist-icon-or-inspirational-woman/

Meryl Streep and Ruth Davidson seem to have joined forces in presenting a new image of Margaret Thatcher, the women who didn't exactly encourage women into her cabinet, support equal pay or challenge domestic abuse, is now to be held up as a feminist icon.

So far as I see her interest in social equality was nil?

Interesting article by Cordelia Ditton challenges the view.

http://www.the3rdimagazine.co.uk/2012/01/feminist-icon-or-inspirational-woman/

Margaret Thatcher was vile repulsive human being who did untold harm to families and communities up and down the UK; she just happened to be a woman. The world is also filled with fantastic women who do untold good for their families and their communities. I know which ones are my icons.

I can see that there were some qualities that people might have admired if they had been harnessed for good but sadly and madly, we all know different. :angry:

Margaret Thatcher was vile repulsive human being who did untold harm to families and communities up and down the UK; she just happened to be a woman. The world is also filled with fantastic women who do untold good for their families and their communities. I know which ones are my icons.

The world is full of fantastic women, samsc, and I agree that Thatcher is not one of them.

I can see that there were some qualities that people might have admired if they had been harnessed for good but sadly and madly, we all know different. :angry:

Many appear not to know, harper, and some are very confused. In a feature in the guardian online, Natasha Walter, writer and campaigner points out that "in a man's world, she was a towering rebuke to those who believe women are unsuited to the pursuit and enjoyment of power. Girls who grew up when she was running the country were able to imagine leadership as a female quality in a way that girls today struggle to do. And for that reason she is still a figure that feminists would be unwise to dismiss."

However, she also points out that:"Obviously Thatcher was no feminist: she had no interest in social equality, she knew nothing of female solidarity." - I would say this just about rules her out as a feminist icon.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/the-womens-blog-with-jane-martinson/2012/jan/05/margaret-thatcher-feminist-icon

couldnt have put it better meself

couldnt have put it better meself

Has anybody seen the movie? Streep is supposed to be wonderful - she would have to work a miracle to paint Maggie in a positive light.

Has anybody seen the movie? Streep is supposed to be wonderful - she would have to work a miracle to paint Maggie in a positive light.

i couldnt think of much worse than sitting through that rose tinted one sided "portrait" of her life.

an attempt to gain some sympathy before she finally heads for the burny fire no doubt.

Is anybody really that intersted in the auld bitch or witch - take your pick. :lol:

I do not think people in Scotland are that interested but it will be a long time before they forget her and the damage she did. I fail to understand why a woman who seemed to aspire to many thinks that we do not associate with feminine traits should be applauded. She was uncaring, hard hearted and supported those who forged their own individual furrow without a thought for their fellow man (or woman). I do not wish her a long and painful death like some but there is not a single thing I can think of that I would praise her for. She is no icon.

I do not wish her a long and painful death

neither do i......but a speedy one instead

I do not think people in Scotland are that interested but it will be a long time before they forget her and the damage she did.

Now you're confusing Scotland with Wales.

Welsh audiences shun Meryl Streep-starring Thatcher biopic Iron Lady at the cinema

Read More

Even Glasgow, once a centre of Thatcher loathing, seems to have taken to the film – with the Cineworld in Glasgow’s Renfrew Street taking the second-highest takings in the whole of the country.

Tartan Tories still exist.

Now you're confusing Scotland with Wales.

Welsh audiences shun Meryl Streep-starring Thatcher biopic Iron Lady at the cinema

Read More

Tartan Tories still exist.

Glasgow's definitely taken its cinema loving status a bit far in this case. I've been surprised at the number of people I know who've seen the film. Particularly at the prices charged these days. I'll stick with Spitting Image.