Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

Osborne's budget

George Osborne's budget this Wednesday ia already getting a lot of coverage. He says he's aiming to help poorer and middle income families but the Lib Dems and Ed Balls see it differently.

"The Liberal Democrat London mayoral candidate, Brian Paddick, said it would be a "tragedy" if the Chancellor failed to increase the total burden on the better-off when some people faced a choice "between heating and eating".

The shadow Chancellor, Ed Balls, said: "For families on middle and low incomes seeing their petrol prices up, their fuel bills up, the living standards squeezed, youth unemployment rising, the idea that George Osborne is saying the number-one priority is to cut taxes on salaries of £150,000, they can't be serious."

I like the idea of a Mansion tax on properties worth over £2m but doesn't seem too likely.

Hope he's not going to cut the top tax rate.

£10,000 before tax looks pretty likely.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/osborne-budget-is-for-working-people-but-50p-tax-is-set-to-go-7576805.html

Are we really under any illusion that this Government cares about the poor and less fortunate in our society? The rich will always be proteted because they create wealth and jobs. The poor create need. There will be no mansion tax. :(

No Mansion Tax, harper and 50p top rate reduced to 45 p.

Looks like the richest will benefit.

Some people will keep child benefit and some won't. You'll lose it if you earn over £50,000. Those earning over £60,000 with three or four children will be the biggest losers. And, of course, mothers who traditionally had control will also be losers.

Seven percent stamp duty will have very limited effects. According to spokesperson from Northern Ireland there won't be much money to be made on this as so few valuable properties exist in that location.

Personal allowance increase will take some low earners out of tax.

Some questions being asked 'Is making the rich richer going to make us all better off?'

No Mansion Tax, harper and 50p top rate reduced to 45 p.

Looks like the richest will benefit.

Some people will keep child benefit and some won't. You'll lose it if you earn over £50,000. Those earning over £60,000 with three or four children will be the biggest losers. And, of course, mothers who traditionally had control will also be losers.

Seven percent stamp duty will have very limited effects. According to spokesperson from Northern Ireland there won't be much money to be made on this as so few valuable properties exist in that location.

Personal allowance increase will take some low earners out of tax.

Some questions being asked 'Is making the rich richer going to make us all better off?'

It was always going to be a rich man's budget. Family Allowance has moved a long way from the rationale behind it. I am disgusted that the Pensioner's Allowance has been cut.

I am wondering if we will see more family's with two part-time workers at £10,000 each to avoid tax rather than one £20,000 earner, who would be taxed?

I do not see the stamp duty for the rich bringing in the money that the tories suggest.

It was always going to be a rich man's budget. Family Allowance has moved a long way from the rationale behind it. I am disgusted that the Pensioner's Allowance has been cut.

I am wondering if we will see more family's with two part-time workers at £10,000 each to avoid tax rather than one £20,000 earner, who would be taxed?

I do not see the stamp duty for the rich bringing in the money that the tories suggest.

I think that could well happen re: part-time jobs.

Average pensioner is going to lose according to BBC.

I can't abide Osborne, he is so smug.

Milliband made me laugh asking for hands to be raised in the Commons by those who would benefit.

Scottish and Welsh Nats are not happy.

Fags are up and fuel still going up.

disgusting

but what did you expect?

the sooner we break free the better imho

Not a lot, tig.

New song for tories - We robbed the old to help the rich. I hope this budget will be their downfall. Taxing the pensioners could cost them that very important grey vote. If there's one thing I cannot abide it's hypocrisy. Say one thing and then do another but try to kid us all that you are really protecting the vulnerable and sticking to your so called principles. It's a downright disgrace that people in full time work are earning under £10,000 but the hypocrites are pretending that they are helping these people by taking them out of the tax threshold.

I can't usually be bothered with Milliband but I did enjoy him asking how many of the front bench would benefit from the tax changes. Good move.

Hypocrites. I could get on my filly and ride roughshod over the lot of them.

New song for tories - We robbed the old to help the rich. I hope this budget will be their downfall. Taxing the pensioners could cost them that very important grey vote. If there's one thing I cannot abide it's hypocrisy. Say one thing and then do another but try to kid us all that you are really protecting the vulnerable and sticking to your so called principles. It's a downright disgrace that people in full time work are earning under £10,000 but the hypocrites are pretending that they are helping these people by taking them out of the tax threshold.

I can't usually be bothered with Milliband but I did enjoy him asking how many of the front bench would benefit from the tax changes. Good move.

Hypocrites. I could get on my filly and ride roughshod over the lot of them.

Totally agree, CL. Hyprocrites have a tendency to fool themselves but they don't fool anybody else. They tell you what they are going to do and appear to believe it and then do nothing of the sort. :lol:

Caring for the most vulnerable. How exactly are they doing that?

It is indeed a disgrace that people on starvation wages are expected to be grateful for being hiked out of the tax bracket. They'll be able to put the light on at night now for a wee while.

Nice touch from Milliband. Rich Mr Osborne will certainly be in pocket so fingers should be pointed at him.

Good to hear Nadine Dorries, Tory MP, speaking out about her colleagues at Westminster

"'Unfortunately, I think that not only are Cameron and Osborne two posh boys who don't know the price of milk, but they are two arrogant posh boys who show no remorse, no contrition, and no passion to want to understand the lives of others - and that is their real crime.'

BBC News

Good to hear Nadine Dorries, Tory MP, speaking out about her colleagues at Westminster

"'Unfortunately, I think that not only are Cameron and Osborne two posh boys who don't know the price of milk, but they are two arrogant posh boys who show no remorse, no contrition, and no passion to want to understand the lives of others - and that is their real crime.'

BBC News

Looks as though the problems with the housing benefit capping are starting to take effect.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/poor-tenants-forced-out-by-housing-cap.17404029