jimbo

Nardini Byres Road

img_2250sml-9162.jpg

icecreamvendorbyresrdsml-9073.jpg

Nardini's has arrived in Byres Road.

img_2250sml-9162.jpg

icecreamvendorbyresrdsml-9073.jpg

Nardini's has arrived in Byres Road.

They are great photographs and the cafe looks classy. I will try it sometime this week.

Anybody been in for a pokey hat yet?

near there tomorrow so might pop in for one (if ive got a spare fiver ;) )

near there tomorrow so might pop in for one (if ive got a spare fiver ;) )

It will likely be pricey, tig, but quality I would imagine. :)

Guest thomas

It will likely be pricey, tig, but quality I would imagine. :)

There will never be a better ice-cream than that from the University Cafe. I always found Nardini's (even when it was the original) overpriced and totally overrated.

I always found Nardini's (even when it was the original) overpriced and totally overrated.

same here...so i didnt bother going in

same here...so i didnt bother going in

The flexibility of my purse strings varies in accordance with my mood. In booth mood I'll had for the Uni but if in exquisite surroundings frame of mind then Nardini's will be considered an option.:)

The flexibility of my purse strings varies in accordance with my mood. In booth mood I'll had for the Uni but if in exquisite surroundings frame of mind then Nardini's will be considered an option.:)

Popped in last night for a wee look. It's gorgeous and feels lovely and spacious. I bought three scones and managed to lose two on the way home. Don't ask. :lol:

There will never be a better ice-cream than that from the University Cafe. I always found Nardini's (even when it was the original) overpriced and totally overrated.

They have a special at £14.

Popped in last night for a wee look. It's gorgeous and feels lovely and spacious. I bought three scones and managed to lose two on the way home. Don't ask. :lol:

that drinks a terrible thing right enough :lol:

What's that? A half bottle of Bells inbetween a double nugget? ;)

The Hot Fudge Volcano is indeed £14.95 - this is what you get:

'Eight scoops of vanilla and four scoops of chocolate ice cream our secret receipe of hot caramel and hot chocolate fudge sauces, fresh banana wheels, mini marshmallows, fudge pieces, mounds of fresh cream topped with nuts'

They say that it's - 'big enough for two or three.' Or maybe five or six !! :rolleyes:

Two scoops of ice cream for weans £3.50

I don't think they'll be short of customers.

The Hot Fudge Volcano is indeed £14.95 - this is what you get:

'Eight scoops of vanilla and four scoops of chocolate ice cream our secret receipe of hot caramel and hot chocolate fudge sauces, fresh banana wheels, mini marshmallows, fudge pieces, mounds of fresh cream topped with nuts'

They say that it's - 'big enough for two or three.' Or maybe five or six !! :rolleyes:

Two scoops of ice cream for weans £3.50

I don't think they'll be short of customers.

You have put me off my tea. Great coffee though. I tried it out earlier today. The fruit scones are the size of a loaf.

You have put me off my tea. Great coffee though. I tried it out earlier today. The fruit scones are the size of a loaf.

:lol: How on earth did I manage to loose two?

I hope they do well. Tony Macaroni's has certainly retained its popularity, unlike the old bank just a door down. I've lost track of who's there at the moment.

I was walking in Byres Road yesterday afternoon on a sunny but chilly day,and passed Nardinis which was doing a roaring trade,as were many of the other tearooms.

It was clearly Mothers Day afternoon teas and lunches,and it was nice to see the mums all done up for their outing,with many a wee perm in evidence,and surrounded by their children and grandchildren.

Today I was in Bradfords bakers in Clarkston,and there were all their leftover mothers day cakes at half price.They looked very sad with their pink icing scroles spelling out mother,but it seemed a metaphor in a way that mothers aren't just for that one day,they're for life,and what would this 64 year old orphan have given to be sharing a wee cream tea yesterday with his wee mammy,marvelling as she deftly removed her handbag retainer and hung her bag on the wee hook on the table rim,while unselfconsciously jooshing Estee Lauders Youth Dew round her giblets,killing everything within 10 feet in the miasma.Oh yes,I suffered a wee pang of "temps perdue".Anyway I regained my compusure just in time to choke down a large wedge of Dutch apple pie in Patisserie Francois,and all was well in Willie world once more,

Willie.x.

I was walking in Byres Road yesterday afternoon on a sunny but chilly day,and passed Nardinis which was doing a roaring trade,as were many of the other tearooms.

It was clearly Mothers Day afternoon teas and lunches,and it was nice to see the mums all done up for their outing,with many a wee perm in evidence,and surrounded by their children and grandchildren.

Today I was in Bradfords bakers in Clarkston,and there were all their leftover mothers day cakes at half price.They looked very sad with their pink icing scroles spelling out mother,but it seemed a metaphor in a way that mothers aren't just for that one day,they're for life,and what would this 64 year old orphan have given to be sharing a wee cream tea yesterday with his wee mammy,marvelling as she deftly removed her handbag retainer and hung her bag on the wee hook on the table rim,while unselfconsciously scooshing Estee Lauders Youth Dew round her giblets,and killing everything within 10 feet with the miasma.Oh yes,I suffered a wee pang of "temps perdue".Anyway I regained my compusure just in time to choke down a large wedge of Dutch apple pie in Patisserie Francois,and all was well in Willie world once more,

Willie.x.

Nice to have you back, Willie.

I'm sure Nardini's will do very well even when it's not Mothers Day. I gave my mum a thought yesterday too. She was was a very young 71 when she died way back in 1989. Her older sister, Aunt Mary, lived until she was 84 and she was a handful. Quite a demanding dependent lady but we did have some laughs with her. One Mother's Day she gave me a card in which she had written 'you're like a mother to me'. Quite a leap of the imagination. :lol:

I was in Nardinis on Saturday evening and must say I found the atmosphere cold and the lighting awfull.I love the Largs branch,but whatever "something" that has, is lacking in the Byres road branch.Also expensive,

Willie.x.

I was in Nardinis on Saturday evening and must say I found the atmosphere cold and the lighting awfull.I love the Largs branch,but whatever "something" that has, is lacking in the Byres road branch.Also expensive,

Willie.x.

Was it busy, Willie?

It was about 8pm and was quiet Pat.

I think most places are a bit quieter than usual as people are in the parks with their picnics. I like Nardini's. You are not sitting with people on top of you the way your are in a lot of the other cafes. The coffee costs more or less the same in all of them. If you want something cheap, cheerful and very cosy then the University Cafe is the first choice.

I think most places are a bit quieter than usual as people are in the parks with their picnics. I like Nardini's. You are not sitting with people on top of you the way your are in a lot of the other cafes. The coffee costs more or less the same in all of them. If you want something cheap, cheerful and very cosy then the University Cafe is the first choice.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, rory. It's good to have the variety and people will go where they fancy and where they find affordable. I'm not an ice cream hand but I might pop into Nardini's for a coffee and scone. That certainly won't break the bank and, as you say, the spaciousness is appealing.

My favourites still remain the same: Avenue G, you just can't beat the tastiness and price of their mackerel pate and oatcakes - enough for sharing, and Sonny and Vito's. S & V's is pricey but everything is fresh and delicious.

Top of the tree is Little Italy. There's always a pleasant buzz about the place and those pizza slices are lip-smackingly good and such a bargain. They're minestrone soup is also out on its own.

I also like Smug on Great George Street. It is a squish together sorta place but the staff are lovely and I like their Chai Latte.

We're spoiled for choice.