Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

GWBP vintage and craft fayre

GWBP vintage and contempory fashion

.... art, design, craft fairs

February 5th and 26th.

Sunday at 12:00pm

The Hillhead Bookclub, 17 Vinicombe street, Westend

I went along before Christmas and it was very enjoyable browsing the stalls. Some nice jewellery and very reasonable. I hear Squinty Jewellery has now joined the arty band. :)

Indeed! Squinty Jewellery is there with fabby new things wot I did make over xmas! Not yet on the facebook page so nobody's seen 'em yet! Come down and buy me a coffee! :lol: (12-5)

Oh, and incase anybody's wondering, GWBP stands for Granny Would Be Proud :P

I think Granny might be a bit bored. It's a sign of the times that we can't afford new stuff. I feel sorry for all these stall holders. They can't be making much and hanging about for hours with hardly any customers. How much is the place charging them to put their stalls up. Call me an auld cynic but I think they're the winners.

are these things not aimed at people who dont want NEW things though?

and most of the time the old stuff is dearer than new stuff.

stick an "antique" sticker on something and it more than doubles in price

are these things not aimed at people who dont want NEW things though?

and most of the time the old stuff is dearer than new stuff.

stick an "antique" sticker on something and it more than doubles in price

There seem to be a lot more vintage and retro fans these days, tig, but the markets are a bit of a mixture with lots of new craft stuff on sale.

I think Granny might be a bit bored. It's a sign of the times that we can't afford new stuff. I feel sorry for all these stall holders. They can't be making much and hanging about for hours with hardly any customers. How much is the place charging them to put their stalls up. Call me an auld cynic but I think they're the winners.

GWBP has been running for around 2 years in various venues, before finally settling on the Hillhead Bookclub. It's on twice a month and is ALWAYS busy, and Tig has hit the nail on the head, anything classed as vintage or retro can easily be doubled in price to what you think it would actually be worth. It's not about 'buying new stuff' or 'affording' anything, I've seen lassies buy hideous things my Mum would have baulked at in the 1970s for waaaaaaay too much money. It's the 'in' thing just now, it's trendy. It's a form of recycling that the fashion victims can get on board with. As well as the vintage stuff, there are vintage items which have been 'upcycled' or altered in some way, which is a whole movement in itself.

Also, it's not all about the vintage. It's a 'vintage and craft/art market', which has many different stall holders every time, ranging from photographers to artists, to cupcake makers/bakers, knitters, bag and hat makers, and jewellery makers like myself, to name but a few.

The craft scene in and around Glasgow is huge, and there are many, many fairs/fayres/markets all over the place. There's the Merchant City Market in the old Candleriggs every month, Sloans market every weekend in the city centre, Gin in Teacups, the Mooch, Little Birds, and many others in the city around once a month. Ashton Lane has it's own market with proper stalls in the summer months, and Whimsicle and Afternoon Twee over Shawlands way once a month too. The Britannia Panopticon has them every now and then to try and raise a bit of cash to help keep the building in one piece, one I was booked into was cancelled the day before as a bit of the building fell off! And that's just the ones I can think of without looking at my contacts.

It's not a major money maker for any of the organisers, as I know quite a few of them. They get by, but usually have part time day jobs in offices or bars as they simply don't make enough from the fairs. I organised 3 over roughly an 18 month period, and they are a stress headache waiting to happen. Floor plans, people cancelling last minute or just not turning up, all the flyering, postering, social networking, advertising, printer ink costs and time spent getting both stallholders and customers to come along. It's a full time job in itself.

So, CL, yer an auld cynic :P:lol:

what is it with cup cakes theses days?...theyre everywhere all of a sudden...another trendy fad?

i might pop along this weekend to have a lookies to see if theres anything worth buying since (bet)Fred has been very nice to me lately ;)

But right, as you have confirmed, lynnski, there's a move on.

And to be fair the point CL made was not about the organisers making money but the venues.

I've always loved vintage and retro since I was a teenager and there are some brilliant shops in the city. Circavintage is amazing and Sheila is an expert and much respected in the trade. Maxine and Michael down in Handbags and Gladrags in Partick have a brilliant retro section and are also old hands.

what is it with cup cakes theses days?...theyre everywhere all of a sudden...another trendy fad?

i might pop along this weekend to have a lookies to see if theres anything worth buying since (bet)Fred has been very nice to me lately ;)

Yeah tig, cup cakes are a bit of a fad I think, but there's also cake pops (wee cakes on lolly sticks!), biscuits, jams and chutneys, quiches and traditional cakes, all sorts being sold at these events! :lol:

A for this weekend...well, GWBP is on the 1st and last Sunday of each month, so there isn't one this weekend. HOWEVER, they are launching their new venture, Boyroom Blitz! It's a fair for men, selling things that might appeal to the male of the species more than the laydeez.

http://www.theskinny.co.uk/fashion/previews/301045-boyroom_blitz_glasgows_first_vintage_fair_dedicated_the_boys

Hillhead Bookclub, Sunday 12th Feb, 12-5.

But right, as you have confirmed, lynnski, there's a move on.

And to be fair the point CL made was not about the organisers making money but the venues.

Ah yes, I went back and re-read that, it does look more as if CL meant the venues. I presume the hosts of these events get generous discounts from block-booking and holding regular events, but I can't state that 100%. The venues will definitely make money from the sale of food and drinks, but who knows if there are really any more people through the door at these events than any normal Sunday afternoon? The Hillhead Bookclub is certainly always busy, no matter what day of the week or time of day I've been in. But, I would also presume, that these venues will not be allowing events like this to take place without some sort of benefit to themselves! :lol:

Ah yes, I went back and re-read that, it does look more as if CL meant the venues. I presume the hosts of these events get generous discounts from block-booking and holding regular events, but I can't state that 100%. The venues will definitely make money from the sale of food and drinks, but who knows if there are really any more people through the door at these events than any normal Sunday afternoon? The Hillhead Bookclub is certainly always busy, no matter what day of the week or time of day I've been in. But, I would also presume, that these venues will not be allowing events like this to take place without some sort of benefit to themselves! :lol:

I've only been once just before Christmas, lynnski, I went along to Ashton Lane the same day and also to the Art Exhibition in the Hilton Grosvenor. Maybe an awful lot going on on the one day but, given the time of year, I didn't think any of them were very busy but I enjoyed myself. I particularly like to buy something from the 'crafty' person who has made it. However, very often I feel pretty sympathetic as they don't seem to sell an awful lot.

I took Ryan with me to the Bookclub and he suggested that we have something to eat so I can imagine that they will pick up diners, although, not us on that occasion.

They the cup cakes sure have caught on, tig.

Last year when we were in New York on holiday we stayed in Greenwich Village. Home to the famous Magnolia Bakery, whose cup cakes were enjoyed by Carrie in Sex in the City. Folk queue outside the bakery to buy the cup cakes.

Our mothers made them all the time when we were wee - they called them fairy cakes. My favourites were actually the butterfly cakes. Wee sponge cakes with a dollop of butter icing then the top cut in two and stuck on like wings. :lol:

GWBP has been running for around 2 years in various venues, before finally settling on the Hillhead Bookclub. It's on twice a month and is ALWAYS busy, and Tig has hit the nail on the head, anything classed as vintage or retro can easily be doubled in price to what you think it would actually be worth. It's not about 'buying new stuff' or 'affording' anything, I've seen lassies buy hideous things my Mum would have baulked at in the 1970s for waaaaaaay too much money. It's the 'in' thing just now, it's trendy. It's a form of recycling that the fashion victims can get on board with. As well as the vintage stuff, there are vintage items which have been 'upcycled' or altered in some way, which is a whole movement in itself.

Also, it's not all about the vintage. It's a 'vintage and craft/art market', which has many different stall holders every time, ranging from photographers to artists, to cupcake makers/bakers, knitters, bag and hat makers, and jewellery makers like myself, to name but a few.

The craft scene in and around Glasgow is huge, and there are many, many fairs/fayres/markets all over the place. There's the Merchant City Market in the old Candleriggs every month, Sloans market every weekend in the city centre, Gin in Teacups, the Mooch, Little Birds, and many others in the city around once a month. Ashton Lane has it's own market with proper stalls in the summer months, and Whimsicle and Afternoon Twee over Shawlands way once a month too. The Britannia Panopticon has them every now and then to try and raise a bit of cash to help keep the building in one piece, one I was booked into was cancelled the day before as a bit of the building fell off! And that's just the ones I can think of without looking at my contacts.

It's not a major money maker for any of the organisers, as I know quite a few of them. They get by, but usually have part time day jobs in offices or bars as they simply don't make enough from the fairs. I organised 3 over roughly an 18 month period, and they are a stress headache waiting to happen. Floor plans, people cancelling last minute or just not turning up, all the flyering, postering, social networking, advertising, printer ink costs and time spent getting both stallholders and customers to come along. It's a full time job in itself.

Upcycled ain't knew, Lynnski. People have been doing that with castoffs since whenever. I agree that the craft scene is huge in Glasgow but it ain't all wonderful. There's a fair bit of auld tat mixed among the gems.

Upcycled ain't knew, Lynnski. People have been doing that with castoffs since whenever. I agree that the craft scene is huge in Glasgow but it ain't all wonderful. There's a fair bit of auld tat mixed among the gems.

Oh god aye, I know that!! :lol: The stuff that some people pass of as 'crafts', make you cringe so it would! :lol:

• 1 month later...

That's Granny Would Be Proud open at the Hillhead Bookclub. It's on 12-5. Mon doon and say hi, I have calorie free cupcakes, mystical unicorns, shiny disco balls and new words bracelets! :) 

That's Granny Would Be Proud open at the Hillhead Bookclub. It's on 12-5. Mon doon and say hi, I have calorie free cupcakes, mystical unicorns, shiny disco balls and new words bracelets! :) 

Hope it went well,lynnski. I'm just back from a huge shop at Morrisons as off with the weans to Arran tomorrow. My own cupboard was bare as I caught a bug. I missed Gallagher and Lyle last night at The Pavilion but thankfully feeling better now. Looks as though our outing will coincide with the snowy season. :rolleyes:

Give us a shout when the next event is on, lynnski.