Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Lou

Harry Prendergast

I am a west end artist, researching the life of my father, Harry Prendergast, now deceased. Harry was jamaican and a larger than life character in Glasgow's west end from the late 60s until the early 70s. We lived in West End Park Street, off Woodlands road, and previously in Belmont Street, Park Road and Athole Gardens. Harry can best be described as a 'gangster' but was very charismatic. I suppose he will have made many friends and enemies in Glasgow. I would be so grateful to hear from anyone who knew him or my mother, Roby (Roberta) Stewart, also deceased. They were the ultimate party couple, I have been told, and Harry also had something to do with a club in Sauchiehall Street called 'The Revolution'. Does anyone know it, went there? remember any West Indians going there? I would love to know more about those days in Glasgow, when I was just a little girl.

I am a west end artist, researching the life of my father, Harry Prendergast, now deceased. Harry was jamaican and a larger than life character in Glasgow's west end from the late 60s until the early 70s. We lived in West End Park Street, off Woodlands road, and previously in Belmont Street, Park Road and Athole Gardens. Harry can best be described as a 'gangster' but was very charismatic. I suppose he will have made many friends and enemies in Glasgow. I would be so grateful to hear from anyone who knew him or my mother, Roby (Roberta) Stewart, also deceased. They were the ultimate party couple, I have been told, and Harry also had something to do with a club in Sauchiehall Street called 'The Revolution'. Does anyone know it, went there? remember any West Indians going there? I would love to know more about those days in Glasgow, when I was just a little girl.

Athole Gardens is a lovely place to live. Harry's name rings some bells Lou and I will check out with some of the older people in my family. Very best with your search.

I can confirm that The Revolution was a club on the south side of Sauchiehall Street round about where Nico's is today.

For more information I would try Glasgow Guide it's an older crowd and a number of them went clubbing at that time. And good time gal Harper.

:lol: They must be ancient. Good luck, Lou. I lived in London during the period you mention so of no help. Harper would have been in primary school. :)

Actually, the name sounds very familiar but I think I am thinking of an actor.

The Revolution was strictly off limits for my crowd. We were really far too young but managed to sneak in one night with a few older people. It certainly felt edgey and a far cry from the majestic. I think we might have been asked to leave - and quite right too. :lol:

Thanks for your information. In case it jogs anyone's memory, Harry's friends were Dudley, Cecile and Smithy. Female friends in the group were Jan, Anne Scott and Paula, but I'm not sure who is still alive.

[quote][/quote]

Sounds like an interesting project, Lou. What age would your father be now?

Hi Harper, I think he'd be in his early 70s.

In that case not my generation at all. If he was knocking about the Revolution in his 30s I would have been 10. Good luck with your search, Lou. I hope someone comes up trumps for you.