Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

It's a scandal that so many companies in Scotland continue to pay below the minimum wage. On the BBC News at the moment.

What's the point in having a minimum wage if they are not required to pay it? Now it's going up does that mean that there will be even more employers failing to comply?

That's a very good question Pat. Are there not penalties for companies that don't pay it? I can't understand either why a piece of legislation like this is not enforceable under the law. After 18 months of being 26p an hour over the minimum, in a full time job, now I find myself working for 12hrs a week for minimum wage*. It's proving hard to adjust!

*I'm now full time at university, hence the change!

That's a very good question Pat. Are there not penalties for companies that don't pay it? I can't understand either why a piece of legislation like this is not enforceable under the law. After 18 months of being 26p an hour over the minimum, in a full time job, now I find myself working for 12hrs a week for minimum wage*. It's proving hard to adjust!

*I'm now full time at university, hence the change!

I can't understand that either, lynnski.

I suppose those being paid beneath the minimum are desperate for a job and, therefore, don't complain but vulnerable people should be protected.

I hope you get a rise before too long. :)