Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Grahamedgar

Loch Achray Forest drive, Aberfoyle

All those terrific photos of Mugdock Country Park near Milngavie prompted me to offer a suggestion. It's not well known , but the Loch Achray Forest Drive is like being in a different world. Three big lochs are far reaching in the tree lined shingle road which goes on for about 12 miles! There's a wee box at the start so you can put in your donation of £2 (optional but worth it). As Autumn is upon us the trees would make some very colourful photos, with their reds and golds, allowing more of a view of the lochs as the leaves fall. I have some old photos from about 1986 (when it opened) but the quality isn't great compared to modern cameras. Spectacular is an understatement.

To get there, drive through Aberfoyle and head towards Callander. About a mile on the right is a wee sign (easily missed)for the Forest drive. Well worth it!

All those terrific photos of Mugdock Country Park near Milngavie prompted me to offer a suggestion. It's not well known , but the Loch Achray Forest Drive is like being in a different world. Three big lochs are far reaching in the tree lined shingle road which goes on for about 12 miles! There's a wee box at the start so you can put in your donation of £2 (optional but worth it). As Autumn is upon us the trees would make some very colourful photos, with their reds and golds, allowing more of a view of the lochs as the leaves fall. I have some old photos from about 1986 (when it opened) but the quality isn't great compared to modern cameras. Spectacular is an understatement.

To get there, drive through Aberfoyle and head towards Callander. About a mile on the right is a wee sign (easily missed)for the Forest drive. Well worth it!

We often take a run up to the Trossachs, EoP, and will certainly check out this drive. Sounds lovely and Autumn is a beautiful season.

We often take a run up to the Trossachs, EoP, and will certainly check out this drive. Sounds lovely and Autumn is a beautiful season.

I've just checked out the Forestry Commision Website and it's now called the 3 loch Forest drive (Achray, Drunkie.......yes really....and Venachar)and there's a photo showing a wee bit of what to expect. It's only 7 1/2 miles long, so I must have got a bit lost (!) or they've shortened it! There's stopping places so take a picnic. It's also now on Google Earth shown as dotted lines off the Dukes Pass. Hope this helps.

I've just checked out the Forestry Commision Website and it's now called the 3 loch Forest drive (Achray, Drunkie.......yes really....and Venachar)and there's a photo showing a wee bit of what to expect. It's only 7 1/2 miles long, so I must have got a bit lost (!) or they've shortened it! There's stopping places so take a picnic. It's also now on Google Earth shown as dotted lines off the Dukes Pass. Hope this helps.

Thanks, EoP. My father used to fish at Loch Venacher a lot and my brother and son went two weeks ago to fish in the Drunkie, there's a name for you. :lol:

Beautiful countryside and an even better day out if you come home with a few trout.

First good time and time to spare we'll be checking out your recommendation. :)

Ain't we lucky with such spectacular scenery just a wee run out of town.

I've never been there Edagar of Partick. Loch Achray Forest now on the 'To Do'. Ta v. much.