Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

Words becoming extinct

According to Collins Dictionary words which have become extinct in the past year include charabanc and aerodrome. They also say that we have no longer a use for the word 'wittol'" - that's a man who puts up with his wife's infidelity. (I'm not sure what's replaced that word. :rolleyes: )

Cyclogiro "a type of aircraft propelled by rotating blades is also considered to be extinct. That one could describe someone who is off and on benefits.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/aug/21/endangered-words-collins-dictionary

Any other words that have bitten the dust? Do we still use 'midden'?

Alienism: the study and treatment of mental illness. That's a bit of a shocker - glad that's binned.

I'm loving supererogate and will reinstate it by using it at every possible opportunity.

Succedaneum surprises me, it sounds like something straight out of Harry Potter.:lol:

To answer your quesiton, Pat, the word "midden" is still in frequent use in oor hoose, usually in conjunction with Aniker and frequently in response to the state of my son's bedroom.

Alienism: the study and treatment of mental illness. That's a bit of a shocker - glad that's binned.

I'm loving supererogate and will reinstate it by using it at every possible opportunity.

Succedaneum surprises me, it sounds like something straight out of Harry Potter.:lol:

To answer your quesiton, Pat, the word "midden" is still in frequent use in oor hoose, usually in conjunction with Aniker and frequently in response to the state of my son's bedroom.

Aniker's midden was frequently used by a pal's mother when I was wee but did not know who or what an Aniker was, still don't. Anyone know ?

Aniker's midden was frequently used by a pal's mother when I was wee but did not know who or what an Aniker was, still don't. Anyone know ?

To correct myself, I think the true reference is "Anaika's midden". I remember reading a reference to it year's ago but can't remember the detail. Where's Willie Campbell when you need him? :lol:

To correct myself, I think the true reference is "Anaika's midden". I remember reading a reference to it year's ago but can't remember the detail. Where's Willie Campbell when you need him? :lol:

I thought it was Hanniker's midden. I don't know where the saying comes from but I know what it means and can provide examples. :lol:

Is balderdash still in use?