Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
samscafeamericain

Essex Police dancing round their handbags

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/aug/15/essex-water-fight-blackberry-messenger

Two guys arrested for trying to arrange a water pistol fight - sense of humour bypasses all round.

A wee talking to, not even a row, would surely have been sufficient.

I didn't realize water gun fights came under the serious offence laws. What about Bubbles - are they okay?

A wee talking to, not even a row, would surely have been sufficient.

I didn't realize water gun fights came under the serious offence laws. What about Bubbles - are they okay?

I suspect had it been two muslims we may have seen terrorist legislation used

England riots: pair jailed for four years for using Facebook to incite disorder

Two men – whose posts did not result in riot-related event – sentenced at Chester crown court after arrests last week

Caught last week jailed today. Background reports . I doubt it. Warm applause from the Chinese government, no doubt.

There are two Scots denied bail and being held under Public Order Act

A 16 year old has detained by police after he posted a message on Facebook allegedly inciting a riot, Strathclyde Police have said.

The teenager is being held under provisions of the Public Order Act (POA), a spokeswoman for the force said.

Section 14 of the POA allows police to take action they think necessary against people they believe are involved in "any public assembly" where there may be "serious public disorder, serious damage to property or serious disruption to the life of the community" or where the organiser's purpose "is the intimidation of others with a view to compelling them not to do an act they have a right to do, to do an act they have a right not to do" in order "to prevent such disorder, damage, disruption or intimidation".

Other law and order news.

Michael Gove leads the Tory law and order brigade on the riots, warning Harriet Harman and Ken Livingstone against "relativising" the issues when they raise the wider social context (Report, 10 August). This is the politician who claimed £7,000 of posh furniture on his parliamentary expenses, including a Chinon armchair and a Manchu cabinet. When caught out, Mr Gove simply repaid the money and continued untroubled with his career. Will it be OK in court for a looter to offer to hand back a stolen TV or a pair of trainers? Jon Bloomfield

Not a pleasant picture seeing Michael Grove losing it when attempting to bully Harriet Harman on Newsnight.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/wintour-and-watt/2011/aug/10/michaelgove-harrietharman

I see another law and order solution being sought with the introduction of curfew zones.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8704819/UK-riots-teenagers-to-be-barred-in-curfew-zones.html

Does this mean that the police cuts won't go ahead?

All of a sudden it appears that everything is going really well in Scotland and they want to learn from us. :rolleyes:

Dexter St Clair makes a valid point about background reports. It seems that the justice system has been thrown out the window with regard to the rioters. I wonder what they will do when the prisons overflow and that cannot be far off.

Dexter St Clair makes a valid point about background reports. It seems that the justice system has been thrown out the window with regard to the rioters. I wonder what they will do when the prisons overflow and that cannot be far off.

Already being reported Rory, they are releasing murderers early to make way for the real serious criminals, them rioters.

Already being reported Rory, they are releasing murderers early to make way for the real serious criminals, them rioters.

Some angry barristers are hitting out at the 'disproportionate and somewhat hysterical' sentences.

John Cooper, QC argues that sentences are being 'unduly increased to appease public anger' and are being 'potentially influenced by the views of politicians'.

Yesterday, The Metro reported that two-thirds of the people charged regarding the riots have been remanded in custody. Last year the figure was one in ten for those committing serious sentences.

The four year sentence for the two men trying to incite a riot on Facebook - resulting in absolutely nothing - seems pretty harsh to me. It makes a mockery of any justice system. Demonstrating extreme disapproval of these riots and making an example of those involved is not an appropriate response and unlikely to achieve anything positive.

It's pretty worrying to have the Conservatives braying for harsh sentences and the P.M. talking about removing the social media. Reactionary politicians appearing to lack the powers of reasoning.

Sir Menzies Campbell had a wee swipe at them: "With all due deference to the prime minister, politicians should not be either cheering nor booing in the matter of sentencing".