Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
samscafeamericain

David Starkey confirms what most sensible people thought

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14513517

Who would have thought a man who has lined his pockets for years acting as a snivelling apologist for a bunch of filthy rich, ultra-privileged, unelected inbreds with a centuries-old tradition of championing inequality and colonialism would exposed as poisonous racist?

What are the chances :angry:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14513517

Who would have thought a man who has lined his pockets for years acting as a snivelling apologist for a bunch of filthy rich, ultra-privileged, unelected inbreds with a centuries-old tradition of championing inequality and colonialism would exposed as poisonous racist?

What are the chances :angry:

Dear, dear! With any luck he'll self combust - it looks possible.

It's amazing how many people have used the recent riots to trot out prejudices they have been dying to voice for years. David Starkey should be ashamed of himself. His views are so out of touch that under any other circumstances they would be laughable...

...And another opportunity for Miliband to puff oot his chist....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14531077

I caught myself shouting at the telly as the news announced that 'David would look at tackling the moral collapse'..............talk about a lack of self awareness.

I think it could be argued that David Starkey has a point but he should have presented it in a far more considered way.

I think there are aspects of what could be described as 'black culture' that have had a negative effect on some young people and I'm thinking in particular the glamorising of gang culture mainly through certain types of music. When 'musicians' 'boast' about their exploits in da hood and being shot etc etc as well as portraying gross materialism - along with sexist attitudes - in, for example, some music videos then perhaps it shouldn't be surprising that some white people will pick up on it and be influenced. Perhaps - and I stress perhaps - this is what Starkey has picked up on.

I love this song especially the line I shot a man in reno just to watch him die. I bought a gun immediately. I can't recall if it was a black man who sang it or a man in black.

Glasgow stab capitol of Europe. Can anyone suggest Scottish songs that might have influenced young Glaswegians to adopt this white behaviour over the years? I've been driven on several occasions to rip the piss out of anyone singing that dirge Flower of Scotland.

Could listening to songs with provocative titles such Hot Legs, Do you think I'm sexy, Good morning little schoolgirl and first cut is the deepest encourage black people to act the Glasgow white man.

Is David Starkey the only person who should read out loud their thoughts before putting digit to keyboard?

"Everywhere I hear the sound of marching feet, boy"

I love this song especially the line I shot a man in reno just to watch him die. I bought a gun immediately. I can't recall if it was a black man who sang it or a man in black.

Glasgow stab capitol of Europe. Can anyone suggest Scottish songs that might have influenced young Glaswegians to adopt this white behaviour over the years? I've been driven on several occasions to rip the piss out of anyone singing that dirge Flower of Scotland.

Could listening to songs with provocative titles such Hot Legs, Do you think I'm sexy, Good morning little schoolgirl and first cut is the deepest encourage black people to act the Glasgow white man.

Is David Starkey the only person who should read out loud their thoughts before putting digit to keyboard?

"Everywhere I hear the sound of marching feet, boy"

Flower of Scotland can be rather rousing, Dex.

Many years ago when I was working with 'the young unemployed' we encountered some problems because Punks weren't allowed into the local Community Education Centre. I don't think this was anything official, just a rule that the janny had come up with. It took a bit of persuading before we could get them in to participate as members of the Clydebank Bands Promotion Group.

He was fine with the New Romantics and the Rockabillys. :rolleyes:

It was like Enoch Powell meets Alan Partridge

Let's be clear: what David Starkey said was not just offensive, it was downright dangerous. His initial suggestion that Enoch Powell had been vindicated -- "The Tiber did not foam with blood but flames lambent, they wrapped around Tottenham and wrapped around Clapham" -- would, in isolation, be outrageous enough.

Owen Jones participated in the programme with Starkey.

It was like Enoch Powell meets Alan Partridge

Owen Jones participated in the programme with Starkey.

Owen Jones sounds the more reasonable man.

His point that hip-hop culture transforms white kids into gangsters was an assertion grounded in prejudice, not fact (indeed, I challenged him -- as a historian -- to justify his sweeping assertions with evidence). I grew up sharing a room with a brother who was obsessed with hip-hop. I hope he doesn't mind me saying it, but he's about as far from "gangster" as it's possible to be.

Similarly my niece - she's a pretty level headed career woman these days.

Like Enoch Powell before him Starkey is a blatant racist and he certainly won't be the only one drawing on the recent riots for fodder to support his prejudice.

Foul-tempered old queen has a tantrum on national telly and it's the end of the world. Oh dear. Someone should graft Douglas Murray onto him and create a beast most of us wouldn't tire of kicking.

Well well well, Millignia!! How very nice to see you again! :)

Foul-tempered old queen has a tantrum on national telly and it's the end of the world. Oh dear. Someone should graft Douglas Murray onto him and create a beast most of us wouldn't tire of kicking.

The 'end of the world'. I didn't get that impression, Milligna, just that he is hugely obnoxious. If it was a choice of which of the two, you would rather flatten then I think Murray would be a more popular choice. I think that samsamericancafe's description of 'poisonous' suits him particularly well.

:lol: ...the laugh's for your signature... :lol:....still laughing.