Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

Maggs has asked me to organise a pub meet in the West End, which was her excellent idea, where newcomers to Pat's website can introduce themselves to longer term members. I'm a newbie and will be in Glasgow from the afternoon of Tuesday 30th August until Tuesday 6th September. I'm flexible (because I'm on holiday) however understand you may not be.

To start off I'm going to suggest Thursday evening (1st September)8pm either at The Rock or The Curlers (state your preference) OR Saturday 3rd September Say 2pm on (again state your preference). If there are enough people for both meetings all the better! If neither suits state your best time.

The main purpose of the meeting, apart from introductions, is to discuss the merits of living in the West End, past and present, but also to offer suggestions to Pat as to how you'd like it to improve (if at all!) for the community (such as more resident's parking, crime etc). Above all it should be a good laugh and put faces to the names. I promise not to tell too many jokes! Please send in your replies asap so I can monitor the responses. PASSIONATE ABOUT THE WEST END.

Maggs has asked me to organise a pub meet in the West End, which was her excellent idea, where newcomers to Pat's website can introduce themselves to longer term members. I'm a newbie and will be in Glasgow from the afternoon of Tuesday 30th August until Tuesday 6th September. I'm flexible (because I'm on holiday) however understand you may not be.

To start off I'm going to suggest Thursday evening (1st September)8pm either at The Rock or The Curlers (state your preference) OR Saturday 3rd September Say 2pm on (again state your preference). If there are enough people for both meetings all the better! If neither suits state your best time.

The main purpose of the meeting, apart from introductions, is to discuss the merits of living in the West End, past and present, but also to offer suggestions to Pat as to how you'd like it to improve (if at all!) for the community (such as more resident's parking, crime etc). Above all it should be a good laugh and put faces to the names. I promise not to tell too many jokes! Please send in your replies asap so I can monitor the responses. PASSIONATE ABOUT THE WEST END.

This sounds like an excellent plan, EoP. I am not the most sociable of people but it does sound tempting and I'll think about it. :)

Great idea EoP. Unfortunately, I am 400 miles out of Glasgow so won't be abe to pop in.

Think about it, harper. You're overdue a wee visit. :)

I'll be there when you sort it out. B)

I'll also be here.... :rolleyes:

md.jpg

What's the address for the gig, LG?

Hootenanny

40 Howard Street, City Centre, Glasgow G1 4EE

0141 226 4687

Thanks, LG

Evening is probably better for me, EoP. Week-ends I sometimes have weans and sundry relatives in tow. I don't know what The Rock is like these days.

Evening is probably better for me, EoP. Week-ends I sometimes have weans and sundry relatives in tow. I don't know what The Rock is like these days.

I personally would not recommend the Rock, Curlesr is a better option. Unfortunately I cannot make either of the dates mentioned :(

I personally would not recommend the Rock, Curlesr is a better option. Unfortunately I cannot make either of the dates mentioned :(

Sorry you can't make it Maggs, however I'll take on board what you said about the Rock (haven't been in it for 20 years!)

I only mentioned it because it's one of the few bars that hasn't changed it's name, so everyone would know it. (I used to drink in the "paraletic" (Parallel Bars) at the bottom of Byres Road, amongst others, but that's probably changed!

So the Curlers it is on Thursday 1st Sept 8pm on, bottom bar. If any of you fancy a swally at any other time because you can't make it, get in touch through these pages. I will have my teeth in but I don't bite!

Sorry you can't make it Maggs, however I'll take on board what you said about the Rock (haven't been in it for 20 years!)

I only mentioned it because it's one of the few bars that hasn't changed it's name, so everyone would know it. (I used to drink in the "paraletic" (Parallel Bars) at the bottom of Byres Road, amongst others, but that's probably changed!

So the Curlers it is on Thursday 1st Sept 8pm on, bottom bar. If any of you fancy a swally at any other time because you can't make it, get in touch through these pages. I will have my teeth in but I don't bite!

See you at The Curlers on 1st Sept 8 p.m. then, EoP. Hopefully, there will be some more posters around then.:) Hope you have a good drive north.

Since this was Magg's idea, should we not try and get a date that suits her? I don't mind the Rock actually, I'm in there once or twice a month. It's not fancy, but it's one of the cheaper pubs in the west end.

Since this was Magg's idea, should we not try and get a date that suits her? I don't mind the Rock actually, I'm in there once or twice a month. It's not fancy, but it's one of the cheaper pubs in the west end.

Maggs doesn't fancy The Rock, lynnski.

I think EdgarsofPartick is flexible "I'm a newbie and will be in Glasgow from the afternoon of Tuesday 30th August until Tuesday 6th September. I'm flexible (because I'm on holiday) however understand you may not be".

If anyone wants to suggest dates other than he has suggested then perhaps that will be possible.

Are you coming along?

Maggs doesn't fancy The Rock, lynnski.

I think EdgarsofPartick is flexible "I'm a newbie and will be in Glasgow from the afternoon of Tuesday 30th August until Tuesday 6th September. I'm flexible (because I'm on holiday) however understand you may not be".

If anyone wants to suggest dates other than he has suggested then perhaps that will be possible.

Are you coming along?

Had a look at my rota and the only time thatI can make it to coincide with EoP is Tuesday 30th, I have a wedding the weekend after and then back to work on Monday. However if this doesn't suit that's ok, if EoP is moving back to Glasgow then hopefully there will be other opportunities.

Lynski the reason I didn't fancy the Rock is because any time I have been in it it has been dead, but then I havn't been in for a few months, maybe it has picked up.

Lynski the reason I didn't fancy the Rock is because any time I have been in it it has been dead, but then I havn't been in for a few months, maybe it has picked up.

By the look of LG's photo, business has certainly picked up! :lol: Like I said, I'm usually there at least once a month, and It's never been totally dead, certainly been quiet on a few occasions, but then, I like being served at the bar straight away :D I'm more than happy to go to Curlers too, if that's what's decided, I've become a fan since they did it up.

By the look of LG's photo, business has certainly picked up! :lol: Like I said, I'm usually there at least once a month, and It's never been totally dead, certainly been quiet on a few occasions, but then, I like being served at the bar straight away :D I'm more than happy to go to Curlers too, if that's what's decided, I've become a fan since they did it up.

Curlers seems to be the choice, lynnski. Hopefully Edgarsof Partick will get back re new suggested date of Tuesday 30th. :)

Curlers seems to be the choice, lynnski. Hopefully Edgarsof Partick will get back re new suggested date of Tuesday 30th. :)

Yes no problem with Tuesday 30th at the Curlers for me. Great to accommodate Maggs too as is was her idea after all!

Yes no problem with Tuesday 30th at the Curlers for me. Great to accommodate Maggs too as is was her idea after all!

That's great, EoP, - see you then, folks.:)

In case anyone is interested, I'll be bringing old Ordnance Survey Westend maps (Kelvinside, Hillhead, Partick) all about 1894, in very large scale (approx 10" to the mile) and highly detailed even showing tramlines! You are all welcome to check them out.

In case anyone is interested, I'll be bringing old Ordnance Survey Westend maps (Kelvinside, Hillhead, Partick) all about 1894, in very large scale (approx 10" to the mile) and highly detailed even showing tramlines! You are all welcome to check them out.

Thanks, EoP. Sounds interesting. Have a good journey up and see you Tuesday. :)

Thanks, EoP. Sounds interesting. Have a good journey up and see you Tuesday. :)

Do you think we know each other well enough to call him Eddie? :lol:

Have a great time folks. You are going to look like a right brainy bunch pouring over yur maps. :P

Do you think we know each other well enough to call him Eddie? :lol:

Have a great time folks. You are going to look like a right brainy bunch pouring over yur maps. :P

Thanks, harper. I'll have the pince nez polished. :)