Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Veronica

Housewives

There are not so many housewives about these days as woman are expected (and often just need to) work outside the home. Today I had a day off and after a wee lie in and a cuppa to get me going I got tore into tidying up. My windows are gleaming, cushions plumped up and not a dog hair on the floor.

I admit to a feeling of fulfillment.

There are not so many housewives about these days as woman are expected (and often just need to) work outside the home. Today I had a day off and after a wee lie in and a cuppa to get me going I got tore into tidying up. My windows are gleaming, cushions plumped up and not a dog hair on the floor.

I admit to a feeling of fulfillment.

Maybe a few more house husbands but I think many women combine the jobs, Canny Lass.

Anyway you inspired me to clean the windows. Mine are not gleaming, in fact, they're a bit streaky. Any window cleaning tips welcome!

I'm not the world's most wonderful housewife but on days like today, 'good washing days', I long for a back green. :rolleyes:

Maybe a few more house husbands but I think many women combine the jobs, Canny Lass.

Anyway you inspired me to clean the windows. Mine are not gleaming, in fact, they're a bit streaky. Any window cleaning tips welcome!

I'm not the world's most wonderful housewife but on days like today, 'good washing days', I long for a back green. :rolleyes:

Finish off the windows with a piece of newspaper............lets see them shine the wondows with a kindle

Finish off the windows with a piece of newspaper............lets see them shine the wondows with a kindle

I did. Good job we're still buying some of those. :lol:

I'll just need to rub harder.

I have a window cleaner

:lol: Get you! :rolleyes: Does he (or she) not pass on any secrets of the trade?

:lol: You've got to take advantage of those 'good washing days' when you can and have all the paraphenalis at hand including your peg bag, cloth to wipe the rope and good props.

I think a spot of lemon in the water and a shammy does the trick for the windows.

:lol: You've got to take advantage of those 'good washing days' when you can and have all the paraphenalis at hand including your peg bag, cloth to wipe the rope and good props.

The whole shebang is under my sink waiting for a house with a drying green, Canny Lass.

I think a spot of lemon in the water and a shammy does the trick for the windows.

Thanks for the tips. Maybe I'll do a bit of research comparing the vinegar with the lemon. :)

Hingmie can ask her window cleaner for some tips too.

:lol: Get you! :rolleyes: Does he (or she) not pass on any secrets of the trade?

I rarely see him, he arrives, does his job while I am at work. I phoned him recently to ask when next doing my flat`s windows to also do the landing and front door. No problemo was the reply. The exterior windows are well maintained, the problem of living in a traditional red sand stone tenement flat is that ye need to climb ladders to clean the inside of the windows and I find that difficult due to health problems, but I am getting there, lol

I rarely see him, he arrives, does his job while I am at work. I phoned him recently to ask when next doing my flat`s windows to also do the landing and front door. No problemo was the reply. The exterior windows are well maintained, the problem of living in a traditional red sand stone tenement flat is that ye need to climb ladders to clean the inside of the windows and I find that difficult due to health problems, but I am getting there, lol

In our old tenement, which was on the third floor, I was a nervous wreck when the window cleaner came as he stood outside on the ledge.

In our old tenement, which was on the third floor, I was a nervous wreck when the window cleaner came as he stood outside on the ledge.

I know what ye mean cos my last window cleaner often came when WE WERE at home. Unsettling to hear someone scrambling about at yer windows while still in bed, BIG rush to get out of bed and dressing in the windowless hallway. Then even more unsettling seeing him swing from window to window along a narrow ledge. BTW you were dead lucky to get a window cleaner who would tackle above 1st floor. I phoned numerous companies, nil interest. I eventually accosted a window cleaner during my work day and his and he agreed to clean my windows even though it was not in his "route".

I know what ye mean cos my last window cleaner often came when WE WERE at home. Unsettling to hear someone scrambling about at yer windows while still in bed, BIG rush to get out of bed and dressing in the windowless hallway. Then even more unsettling seeing him swing from window to window along a narrow ledge. BTW you were dead lucky to get a window cleaner who would tackle above 1st floor. I phoned numerous companies, nil interest. I eventually accosted a window cleaner during my work day and his and he agreed to clean my windows even though it was not in his "route".

:lol: That would have unsettled me,hingmie, he would have had to be able to fly.

We had scaffolding up for months when the building was getting a new roof. Quite comical at times as we could often hear the conversations of the workman chatting away outside. Some choice language and some very droll comments.

:lol: That would have unsettled me,hingmie, he would have had to be able to fly.

We had scaffolding up for months when the building was getting a new roof. Quite comical at times as we could often hear the conversations of the workman chatting away outside. Some choice language and some very droll comments.

:lol: I would have been tempted to knock the window and join in.

I have been wondering lately how so many people have managed to give up ironing. How did they manage that? Does anybody still startch collars?

:lol: I would have been tempted to knock the window and join in.

I could hardly risk them taking a tumble, Canny Lass. :lol:

I have been wondering lately how so many people have managed to give up ironing. How did they manage that? Does anybody still startch collars?

That's an interesting one and I've not accomplished the skill to any great extent. I think you have to spend a fortune on tumbling the clothes dry and also be very committed to smoothing everything out. I've got spray starch somewhere but not used it in a long time. Gone are the days of putting a spoonful of starch in a basin of water then dipping the shirts in.

In fact a lot of folk simply opt for the crumpled look. :rolleyes: