Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
lynnski

Panic (on the streets of London)

As the Dead Kennedys said, "Tomorrow you're homeless, tonight it's a blast..."

Riots kicking off a la Brixton, lets hope it's all over and done with before anybody gets seriously hurt...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14434318

Aaaaand if you wanna hear the song I quoted :lol:

lets hope it's all over and done with before anybody gets seriously hurt..

The incident began after a protest over the fatal shooting of a young man by police on Thursday turned violent.

Did you read the article before you posted?

Why yes I did Dexter. Sadly, a young man has been killed, which is what started all this off, but I think it's an enormous overreaction to an incident which is still being investigated. Thankfully nobody else has lost their life due to this, but many people, (mostly police officers) have been injured and needed hospital treatment. Very bizarre situation. The song seems appropriate, if you actually know the words to it.

Dex, at times you post like a man who has a clipboard permenantly stuck up his ass. What point are you making?

Dex, at times you post like a man who has a clipboard permenantly stuck up his ass. What point are you making?

Dunno about Dex but think lynnski was making the point that she hoped that no-one would be seriously hurt in the riots and that they would be short lived. Looks like one of the ten injured police has head injuries.

The protests are understandable but the violence is scary. I well remember the riots in Brixton in the 80s as I had many friends living in the area and spent quite a bit of time there. One block of flats in the area is still known as the 'barricade building'.

Situations are much more likely to get out of hand, notwithstanding the main focus of the protest, when more widespread economic and social problems are evident.

Boris should get himself up to Tottenham pronto and bring plenty of salve along and the police should cool it.

'Boris should get himself up to Tottenham pronto and bring plenty of salve along and the police should cool it. '

What do you mean the police should cool it ?

'Boris should get himself up to Tottenham pronto and bring plenty of salve along and the police should cool it. '

What do you mean the police should cool it ?

Exactly that, Maggs. Looks like armed police are responsible for the death of Mark Duggan, although, not officially confirmed.

They should also try to calm the current situation down.

This worries me:

"the Guardian's crime correspondent, reports that reinforcements from Thames Valley, Essex, Surrey, City of London and Kent police forces have been called in tonight to prevent a repeat of the violence.".

I think that a very large police presence on the streets could exacerbate the problem. Apparently there have also been disturbances in Brixton.

Boris is still on holiday.

Exactly that, Maggs. Looks like armed police are responsible for the death of Mark Duggan, although, not officially confirmed.

I was under the impression that the poloice responded after Duggan pulled a gun and shot a policeman, maybe I am wrong ??

I think that a very large police presence on the streets could exacerbate the problem. Apparently there have also been disturbances in Brixton.

So the police presence should be reduced, and the rioters and looters should just be left to get on with it. When did looting become part of protest.

I was under the impression that the poloice responded after Duggan pulled a gun and shot a policeman, maybe I am wrong ??

So the police presence should be reduced, and the rioters and looters should just be left to get on with it. When did looting become part of protest.

The Met have previous and cannot be trusted. That 'gansta' opened fire on the them, forcing them to return fire and kill him was their official story. Well it now turns out that the bullet fired 'at' the police, that ended up embedded in the radio of a police car, was a police issue bullet fired from a police gun.

At least this time he wasn't carrying a table leg or was a Brazillian plumber

The details (Ihesitate to say facts) around this killing have yet to be released and that seems to be what led to the protest; a demand for an explanation for family and friends. Apart from the fact that he was killed by the police, no one knows the story yet.

It's chilling to see Broadwater Farm on the news again and in similar circumstances to the situation in 1985. Although comunity elations have improved, Broadwater Farm is still a difficult area to police. It has taken years to build up any sense of trust, following previoius police "interventions" and the alliance between police and community is still pretty fragile. The last t thing Broadwater/Tottenham needed was another suspicious police death.

The details (Ihesitate to say facts) around this killing have yet to be released and that seems to be what led to the protest; a demand for an explanation for family and friends. Apart from the fact that he was killed by the police, no one knows the story yet.

I totally agree. Should it turn out it was a police issue bullet then of course questions must be asked, and answers given.

However I don't see that rioting and looting is achieving anything, and if the police kept a lower profile then thngs would surely be worse, should we just leave them to burn and loot and do as they like ?.

but increasingly the debate is turning to whether the escalating violence is a cry of rage. I'd say so...

I can understand thee being a feeling of rage, but what is accomplished by burning buildings, other peoples business and livliehoods.Sems to me a good reason for people to jump on the bandwagon and see what they can get by looting. The family of the man who was killed are decrying the violence.

There are many things in life that cause us to rage, but it does not mean we should start looting and pillaging.

I can understand thee being a feeling of rage, but what is accomplished by burning buildings, other peoples business and livliehoods.Sems to me a good reason for people to jump on the bandwagon and see what they can get by looting. The family of the man who was killed are decrying the violence.

There are many things in life that cause us to rage, but it does not mean we should start looting and pillaging.

Don't see anyone supporting looting and pillaging, Maggs.

I totally agree. Should it turn out it was a police issue bullet then of course questions must be asked, and answers given.

However I don't see that rioting and looting is achieving anything, and if the police kept a lower profile then thngs would surely be worse, should we just leave them to burn and loot and do as they like ?.

People riot when they have had enough, Maggs and I think many people have had a belly full. Looting is often a byproduct of riots. It's circumstantial in my view and I can't get too concerned about it. I am more concerned about the bigger issues.

This country sets great store by respect for law and order but often falls far short of it's own standards. Whatever the circumstances of this shooting it will be justified by the police and I am guessing that people know that and they are angry.

Therea May is on the way back to hold talks with police chiefs but increasingly the debate is turning to whether the escalating violence is a cry of rage. I'd say so...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14438924

I agree, harper. There were similar circumstances to the 80s when unemployment was high, particularly among the black community. Recent Government policies create further conditions conducive to alienation with their public sector cuts. There are few youth and community workers. Additionally cuts in the number of police on the beat is not good for community relations.

Don't see anyone supporting looting and pillaging, Maggs.

I didn't say they were, what I asked was what has rioting looting and pilaging got to do with protest.

Additionally cuts in the number of police on the beat is not good for community relations.

And yet when needed you think

I think that a very large police presence on the streets could exacerbate the problem

It's circumstantial in my view and I can't get too concerned about it. I am more concerned about the bigger issues

I would hope we are all concerned about the bigger issues, but equally as concerned about the. what you see ,the smaller issues. I would see these incidents as big issues and frightening ones if they were on my doorstep, in fact I find them appalling even thought they are not on my doorstep. Do you live in any of these areas, does it affect you, if so then I find your attitude very strange. There are people who live nad work in these areas, build up small business to keep their families, who will have lost in this carnage.

I didn't say they were, what I asked was what has rioting looting and pilaging got to do with protest.

Pretty self-evident I would have thought. Opportunists. Some of the pillagers will probably be on the breadline.

And yet when needed you think

I think that a very large police presence on the streets could exacerbate the problem

I think more community police where there is knowledge and a relationship with local people can help reduce any proclivity towards riots. There are fewer of these police around now.

I think that massive police presence, riot gear and heavy handed reaction to protests does little to reduce an us and them situation. I could be wrong but that's my view.

I would hope we are all concerned about the bigger issues, but equally as concerned about the. what you see ,the smaller issues. I would see these incidents as big issues and frightening ones if they were on my doorstep, in fact I find them appalling even thought they are not on my doorstep. Do you live in any of these areas, does it affect you, if so then I find your attitude very strange. There are people who live nad work in these areas, build up small business to keep their families, who will have lost in this carnage.

I think you are addressing both harper and myself in the same post, Maggs.

However, I agree there is a bigger issue and riots and protests can affect all sorts of innocent bystanders.

Pretty self-evident I would have thought. Opportunists. Some of the pillagers will probably be on the breadline.

I think more community police where there is knowledge and a relationship with local people can help reduce any proclivity towards riots. There are fewer of these police around now.

I think that massive police presence, riot gear and heavy handed reaction to protests does little to reduce an us and them situation. I could be wrong but that's my view.

I think you are addressing both harper and myself in the same post, Maggs.

However, I agree there is a bigger issue and riots and protests can affect all sorts of innocent bystanders.

I see the bigger issue too and this all looks rather worrying. It wouldn't surprise me if there were more riots in London before the summer is over. I see where Maggs is coming from as well as looting is despicable and hurts small local businesses. That's not good for the community. And we're talking about a community that appears to be without its troubles to seek.

You're right Pat. Community policing and neighbourhood workers are badly needed but if there had been more police around the riots may have been curbed more effectively. The police are unlikely to go after looters when there is a protest going on unless there is a huge presence. The police's first duty is to keep the peace not arrest opportuniistic theives.

I see the bigger issue too and this all looks rather worrying. It wouldn't surprise me if there were more riots in London before the summer is over. I see where Maggs is coming from as well as looting is despicable and hurts small local businesses. That's not good for the community. And we're talking about a community that appears to be without its troubles to seek.

You're right Pat. Community policing and neighbourhood workers are badly needed but if there had been more police around the riots may have been curbed more effectively. The police are unlikely to go after looters when there is a protest going on unless there is a huge presence. The police's first duty is to keep the peace not arrest opportuniistic theives.

Before the day is over unfortunately, Canny Lass. It's looking shocking. Just watching BBC Breaking News. The violence seems to be escalating. At least one building has been completely destroyed in Tottenham and buildings on fire in South London in Croyden, where there has been a lot of destruction. Reports from Clapham say that children as young as 10 are involved and that there are no police around at all. Also trouble in Hackney and Lewisham. Apparently calm has been restored in Birmingham where a lot of shops were broken into.

People's homes as well as business premises are being destroyed and buses and cars set alight. Looting and destruction of property seem to be the main aim rather than any specific protest. Tim Goodwin of the Met is urging parents to contact their children and keep them at home and asking people to stay off the streets.

Cameron is on the road home from holiday.

Kit Malthouse, Deputy Mayor of London is worried about the effects of the riots on the Olympics next year and wondering "where the parents are?"

The reporter seems fairly bellicose, wondering if water cannons couldn't be brought in from N.Ireland.

Did they bring water cannon in for the bankers and short sellers...who lets face it, have done a damn sight more damage

They need to consider what's behind it. It's a bit too easy just putting a label of 'mindless thuggery'. I don't think Theresa May's threats that they will all be punished will make one iota of difference.

There must be a lot of very frightened people. However, some of those interviewed and living in these areas are voicing the opinion that there is a connection between the cuts and the trouble.

People riot when they have had enough, Maggs and I think many people have had a belly full. Looting is often a byproduct of riots. It's circumstantial in my view and I can't get too concerned about it. I am more concerned about the bigger issues.

As Harper says it's circumstancial and a by product. ? What the feck kind of answer is that to the mayhem that is going on

They need to consider what's behind it. It's a bit too easy just putting a label of 'mindless thuggery'. I don't think Theresa May's threats that they will all be punished will make one iota of difference.

There must be a lot of very frightened people. However, some of those interviewed and living in these areas are voicing the opinion that there is a connection between the cuts and the trouble.

What's behind it is obvious, lawlesness, violence, greed and people who will use any excuse to pillage, and then be stupid enought to boast about it

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2023667/London-riots-Looter-posts-photo-booty-Facebook.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Yea he looks upset doesn't he.

Many people are suffering because of the cuts it doesn't mena they take the law into their own hands.