Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
samscafeamericain

Osama Bin Laden - Dead

No doubt Donald Trump won't believe it until he sees the death certificate.

Guest thomas

There will be reprisals.

I sensed an unhealthy approach of gloating by some of the American Broadcasting Networks and fear that their jubilation and triumph may be short lived. After all, the death of their 'most wanted' man for them is justice but I think it will be viewed by terrorist organisations as being 'revenge' and Osama will looked upon as a martyr.

There will be reprisals of that I have no doubt.

I sensed an unhealthy approach of gloating by some of the American Broadcasting Networks and fear that their jubilation and triumph may be short lived. After all, the death of their 'most wanted' man for them is justice but I think it will be viewed by terrorist organisations as being 'revenge' and Osama will looked upon as a martyr.

Fox News was interesting. It was all jingoistic whoops and yells until it dawned on them that it was that black fella in the whitehouse that was in charge when the US got its public enemy number 1. The sinking realisation that this would probably give Obama a second term was a joy to behold.

It is undoubtly a trophy killing. It is surprising where he was found in such a highly populated area. Tbh, I thought he was long dead.

I heard Obama's announcement on the radio and was struck but how measured it was. I tell you, the States are blessed to have such a leader, if only they knew it. rolleyes.gif

I do wish the media would shut up. The danger of reprisals is already high enough without them constently hyping the whole thing up. angry.gif

Agree with your first point, Thomas. By accomplishing the mission that stymied Bush, Obama has assured himself of another four years. The Repugnants are secretly livid.

But I think 'reprisals' is the wrong word. Terrorist attacks will continue whatever happens. These evil people already have all the excuses they need for non-stop guerilla war.

I'm hoping that Bin Laden's death will cut off some of the life blood that fuels all this.

I heard Tony Balir being interviewed on the radio.... nose totally out of joint. Didn't get an invite to the Wedding and so far down the list of world dignitries that he's practically a footnote. laugh.gif

Wishful thinking, I know but an announcement that Thatcher has gone to meet her maker could round off a very enjoyable weekend.smile.gif

I'm hoping that Bin Laden's death will cut off some of the life blood that fuels all this.

I heard Tony Balir being interviewed on the radio.... nose totally out of joint. Didn't get an invite to the Wedding and so far down the list of world dignitries that he's practically a footnote. laugh.gif

Wishful thinking, I know but an announcement that Thatcher has gone to meet her maker could round off a very enjoyable weekend.smile.gif

Yes, while feeling slightly uneasy at the sight of people in the uSA celebrating the killing of Bin Laden I am also very conscious of owning a pair of highly polished grave-dancing shoes for the day when that auld witch meets her maker.

Yes, while feeling slightly uneasy at the sight of people in the uSA celebrating the killing of Bin Laden I am also very conscious of owning a pair of highly polished grave-dancing shoes for the day when that auld witch meets her maker.

I don't know. I tend to think that Martin Luther King's view had some merit.

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."

--Martin Luther King, Jr

Oooh, I wish you hudnae posted that, Pat. I am practically feeling a bit guilty... just a wee bit, mind you. tongue.gif

I don't know. I tend to think that Martin Luther King's view had some merit.

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy...."

--Martin Luther King, Jr

No need for guilt, Harps. Regardless of the humanity of the sentiment, MLK never said it.

Magician Penn Jillette was first to Twitter the supposed quote yesterday, and knowing him it's quite possibly one of his hoaxes. The man's an expert manipulator and an authority on the madness of crowds.

No need for guilt, Harps. Regardless of the humanity of the sentiment, MLK never said it.

Magician Penn Jillette was first to Twitter the supposed quote yesterday, and knowing him it's quite possibly one of his hoaxes. The man's an expert manipulator and an authority on the madness of crowds.

Certainly plenty of mad crowds about, Sgriob.

Was this what MLK said?: "Hatred paralyzes life; love releases it. Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it. Hatred darkens life; love illuminates it."

Or is this another hoax? I'm no expert on quotes but I believe he had a thing or two to say about the pointlessness of hatred. I agree. Not to say that I love my enemies. B)

I strongly dislike what Thatcher did to this country but I won't feel any happiness when she dies. I don't see that assassination has got anything to do with justice either.

I strongly dislike what Thatcher did to this country but I won't feel any happiness when she dies. I don't see that assassination has got anything to do with justice either.

I was depressed by the shows of jubilance in America's streets. Such displays are unseemly and tacky, and remind me too much of footage of Middle Easterners dancing in the streets after 9/11. We should be better than that.

Bin Laden had an easier exit than he deserved. In movies it's always an anti-climax when the Bad Guy drops dead with a single shot to the head. I prefer it when he/she has a soul-crushing revelation of how wrong he/she had been. But in real life even Thatcher's kind of moral monster doesn't have such epiphanies.

I won't be happy when she dies, but I most certainly won't be sorry.

I was depressed by the shows of jubilance in America's streets. Such displays are unseemly and tacky, and remind me too much of footage of Middle Easterners dancing in the streets after 9/11. We should be better than that.

Bin Laden had an easier exit than he deserved. In movies it's always an anti-climax when the Bad Guy drops dead with a single shot to the head. I prefer it when he/she has a soul-crushing revelation of how wrong he/she had been. But in real life even Thatcher's kind of moral monster doesn't have such epiphanies.

I won't be happy when she dies, but I most certainly won't be sorry.

More or less agree with all of that, Sgriob. I can't abide all this jubilation.

I'm not sorry about Bin Laden and won't be sorry about Thatcher but I'll not be throwing a celebration.

I'm not all that thrilled about the adventure film carryon either and I just wonder about the others that were killed? What was the female human shield guilty of? Was the mission to kill or to bring him in? Do the U.N. support this sort of mission?

Are we just going to do away with trials?

Discussion on the death of Bin Laden on Newsnight. Armando Ianucci making a lot of sense about not knowing exactly how the soldiers would have been feeling or what there plan was. Also about 'uncomfortable feelings' regarding some of the expressions of elation in this country. Although, he understands how relatives of people lost on 10/11 will feel relief.

Paddy Ashown emphatically of the opinion that justice had not been done.

Also like Ianucci questioning the ten years of war in Iraq then Afghanistan. It would be good to be absolutely clear just what this is actually about.