Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Hingmie

Royal wedding

I had thought most folk would be like myself. enjoying an extra day off work and having the telly on, dipping in and out to see the dress etc., Now I find all sorts of Royal wedding parties are being organised. My friends mum has invited a whole crowd and the women have been instructed to dress as tho going to an actual wedding. The fun part is that my friend n her sister and other guests have been trawling the charity shops for "dodgy" coloured outfits a la mother of the bride or a female guest a decade or two ago. Another friends girl and her crowd are having a do where the gals dress as brides. Her girl is recycling what she wore for the Zombie walk !

Also a sweepstake going on locally as to what colour the Queen/Kate's mum will wear.

I had thought most folk would be like myself. enjoying an extra day off work and having the telly on, dipping in and out to see the dress etc., Now I find all sorts of Royal wedding parties are being organised. My friends mum has invited a whole crowd and the women have been instructed to dress as tho going to an actual wedding. The fun part is that my friend n her sister and other guests have been trawling the charity shops for "dodgy" coloured outfits a la mother of the bride or a female guest a decade or two ago. Another friends girl and her crowd are having a do where the gals dress as brides. Her girl is recycling what she wore for the Zombie walk !

Also a sweepstake going on locally as to what colour the Queen/Kate's mum will wear.

Sounds as though you'll have a laugh, hingmie. I find this particularly amusing: "Her girl is recycling what she wore for the Zombie walk !". Kate could take a leaf out of her book. :)

I'm going to an alternative night at STUC to hear Tom Leonard read his poetry.

I think I should give myself the day off. :blink:

It would be churlish not to wish thse young people well. I would just prefer that tax payers were not constently footing the bill for this lot. I'll probably tune in to see the frocks and boo and throw imaginery buns at the telly when the Windors appear.

I have been loving the programmes about Kate's rellies... that should rationalise the gene pool, somewhat.

I like the sound of your women friends, Hingmie. If you can't beat them, join them. laugh.gif

It would be churlish not to wish thse young people well. I would just prefer that tax payers were not constently footing the bill for this lot. I'll probably tune in to see the frocks and boo and throw imaginery buns at the telly when the Windors appear.

I have been loving the programmes about Kate's rellies... that should rationalise the gene pool, somewhat.

I like the sound of your women friends, Hingmie. If you can't beat them, join them. laugh.gif

How many of the rellies are going to the wedding? I only saw the cousin with the chippie?

I hope William and Kate will have a happy marriage but not looking forward to seeing their faces all over the papers. The wedding will be an interesting spectacle but these events usually last so long that I lose interest - even in the dresses.

It's going to cost the tax payers an arm and a leg, even with both families chipping in. Not to mention to cost to the country for the extra holiday from work - estimated at around 6 billion. Maybe they should have put their marriage off for a couple of years until the economy had picked up? :blink:

That video is a laugh, harper.:)

Hope you have a great,, hingmie. Post the photies.:)

What will I be doing? Avoiding it, mostly. That will involve not having the tv switched on at all mind you, and maybe staying off the internet all day, and not speaking to anybody or leaving the house...

Cannae decide whether or no' to buy the duvet cover, or just to stick wi' the T-shirt, tea towel and mug. Decisions, decisions.

What will I be doing? Avoiding it, mostly. That will involve not having the tv switched on at all mind you, and maybe staying off the internet all day, and not speaking to anybody or leaving the house...

You'll have a hard job, Lynski. As Yonza says, tea towels, duvet covers, mugs, photographs - £ signs all the way. Already this is looking like it's shaping up to be Diana, the Sequel.

Read under the duvet with a torch? :blink:

I'm sure you'll survive, lynnski. :)

It would be churlish not to wish thse young people well. I would just prefer that tax payers were not constently footing the bill for this lot. .

According to The Herald the monarchy generates £500 million a year for the UK wide economy, and the Scottish tourist industry in particular is set to benefit from the wedding with the couple's links to St Andrews.

I'm not an ardent royalist but I'm not a republican either, and I see far worse waste of taxpayers money that does not benefit the economy in any way. At least the senior Royals do work hard and contribute something back to the country :blink:

According to The Herald the monarchy generates £500 million a year for the UK wide economy, and the Scottish tourist industry in particular is set to benefit from the wedding with the couple's links to St Andrews.

I'm not an ardent royalist but I'm not a republican either, and I see far worse waste of taxpayers money that does not benefit the economy in any way. At least the senior Royals do work hard and contribute something back to the country :blink:

That in itself is probably all true. However, I could not give two flying ones about the wedding of two well off 20-somethings that'll never have to work a real job for the rest of their lives, will never have to worry about how they're gonna feed themselves in the few days before payday, or choose between bills each month. I'd have had more respect for them if they'd eloped, frankly.

That in itself is probably all true. However, I could not give two flying ones about the wedding of two well off 20-somethings that'll never have to work a real job for the rest of their lives, will never have to worry about how they're gonna feed themselves in the few days before payday, or choose between bills each month. I'd have had more respect for them if they'd eloped, frankly.

Personally I would choose working in a "real job" any time over what you presumably consider to be their "phoney job". I for one do not envy them their lives one little bit, but that's JMO :blink:

A wee boost for some in Paisley as well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-13194145

There's a right royal republican mash up taking place in Velvet Elvis on Friday night, with songs from the King and Queen of soul, Prince, Princess, the Duke of Earl and the President of Funk, The Levellers, and various chartist hits,

There's a right royal republican mash up taking place in Velvet Elvis on Friday night, with songs from the King and Queen of soul, Prince, Princess, the Duke of Earl and the President of Funk, The Levellers, and various chartist hits,

Queen?

Queen?

A few in my work are going to Sloans as they are having a wedding BBQ, 11am is to early for me to go to the pub but I will definately be watching the proceedings on tv. I aggree with Borderlass

, and I see far worse waste of taxpayers money that does not benefit the economy in any way.

I'm not an ardent royalist but I'm not a republican either, and I see far worse waste of taxpayers money that does not benefit the economy in any way. At least the senior Royals do work hard and contribute something back to the country smile.gif

Define working hard? tongue.gif

:( I suppose that is always going to be subjective e.g. I know someone who worked in a physical job all their working life and held the view that anyone in an office was simply a "pen pusher" who had never done a day's work in their life :unsure:

Anyway, I think Wills & Kate will do more to earn their money than Fred the Shred and his ilk, who would have brought the country to its knees if the taxpayer hadn't stepped in with a rescue package, yet they still walked away with huge financial rewards and it's still happening now with the current lot - is it 8 million Fred's successor was given this year despite the RBS (80 percent owned by the taxpayer) making a loss ? :blink:

Food Hall of M & S in Sauchiehall was mobbed by 10.00am today - they were obviously not expecting it and did not have nearly enough tills open. Noticed that they're not opening until 1.00pm on Friday.

I'm looking forward to a day off work tomorrow courtesy of the Windsors and will not be watching tv.

I'm not at all interested in what's going on.

I have been working hard all week and looking forward to a game of golf tomorrow. My mammy is highly excited about the royal wedding and I am going to hers for my dinner. I expect to be in a good position to pass on every single detail. :lo:

My poor faither is miserable.

I've thought for ages Nicholas Witchell's heart's not in it any more, he seems to have backed that idea up on twitter today: http://twitter.com/#!/Nicwitchell

It's a strange one... not billed as a state occasion but filled to the gunnels with horses, ceremonial toot and flunkies. Now there's a job you don't see advertised every day. laugh.gif

My (much) better half is full of excitement about the parades and uniforms and horses and ceremony and pomp and all of it. So I have to go to the Oran Mor and drink the BEER from an early stage of the day. :lol::lol:;):lol: