Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
lynnski

Clydebuilt

Interesting wee article in the Scotsman. Whilst shipbuilding is by no means the powerhouse it once was, it seems to still be attracting new blood to the workforce: (I did find the article a tad 'rose tinted glasses' and sentimental, but still a good read)

http://www.scotsman.com/spectrum/A-new-generation-of-shipbuilders.6737301.jp

Interesting wee article in the Scotsman. Whilst shipbuilding is by no means the powerhouse it once was, it seems to still be attracting new blood to the workforce: (I did find the article a tad 'rose tinted glasses' and sentimental, but still a good read)

http://www.scotsman.com/spectrum/A-new-generation-of-shipbuilders.6737301.jp

:lol: Well spotted, lynnski. I like the updated version of 'Song of the Clyde' and good to see some females working in the yards, although, only a wee handful.

Do you think anybody really said: "I was born to be here," the workers will tell you. "It's in my bloodstream." :rolleyes:

In my time at Rothesay Dock I never heard any of that sort of talk - usually much more droll. :)

That is a good article, lynnski. I would agree with you about the rose-tinted style but still interesting. Would anyone recommend a trip on the Waverley. It seems like a good way to see new developments on the Clyde and dwell on its industrial history.

That is a good article, lynnski. I would agree with you about the rose-tinted style but still interesting. Would anyone recommend a trip on the Waverley. It seems like a good way to see new developments on the Clyde and dwell on its industrial history.

Today would be perfect for a sail down the Clyde, Rory.

We could maybe learn the new words for 'The Song of The Clyde' :)

I don't know when The Waverley starts its summer sail programme but today is the first day of Summer so worth thinking about some plans for days out.:)

Today would be perfect for a sail down the Clyde, Rory.

We could maybe learn the new words for 'The Song of The Clyde' :)

I don't know when The Waverley starts its summer sail programme but today is the first day of Summer so worth thinking about some plans for days out.:)

I will be very interested. I've had the chance to have a look around Glasgow recently and been for a walk down at the new builds in Partick. It looks rather decent and a trip down the Clyde would show the old and the new. I heard that there was a lot of new developments on the other side of the river too.

I will be very interested. I've had the chance to have a look around Glasgow recently and been for a walk down at the new builds in Partick. It looks rather decent and a trip down the Clyde would show the old and the new. I heard that there was a lot of new developments on the other side of the river too.

I'm not too up on the south side of the river, Rory. However, there's plenty of nostalgia to be viewed on a trip doon the watter as well as more recent developments. No more John Browns at Clydebank but there's a terrific new college been built down at the waterfront.

I come from Old Kilpatrick and we used to love crossing over to Erskine on the ferry boat. We also enjoyed going down to the waters' edge to wave to the Irish Boat as it sailed on its way from the Broomielaw to Belfast.

I'm not too up on the south side of the river, Rory. However, there's plenty of nostalgia to be viewed on a trip doon the watter as well as more recent developments. No more John Browns at Clydebank but there's a terrific new college been built down at the waterfront.

I come from Old Kilpatrick and we used to love crossing over to Erskine on the ferry boat. We also enjoyed going down to the waters' edge to wave to the Irish Boat as it sailed on its way from the Broomielaw to Belfast.

I will be on the Waverley when the sun comes back out. I have been on the boat from Stranraer to Ireland and have also sailed from Troon. The Broomielaw sailings were before my time. That must have been a very long journey. Not a lot of boats on the Clyde now.

I will be on the Waverley when the sun comes back out. I have been on the boat from Stranraer to Ireland and have also sailed from Troon. The Broomielaw sailings were before my time. That must have been a very long journey. Not a lot of boats on the Clyde now.

There's not too many boats on the Clyde these days, Rory. Definitely not the same demand - HMS Ark Royal is even going up for auction. Not on ebay though. :rolleyes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12883511