Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Hingmie

Holidays

No plans for a holiday (1 week or more) so far but lots of weekends away planned - off to N. Wales next weekend!

I love week-ends away, Gladtae. Hope the trip to Wales goes well. I've never ever been to Wales.

I was watching the new programme with Kirsty and Phil and thought that Croatia looked beautiful. Mind you, I didn't fancy the cruise on the small ship. I don't think I would like a cruise on a big ship but you would have to really like the other passengers on a wee boat.

I loved lynnski's photographs of Turkey last year and lots of people seem to be making this their destination but I think it might be too hot in the high season. I think samsc is another fan.

We're having a big trip this year as we are going to my nephew's graduation in Canada and en route we'll be heading for New York and The Berkshires.

You can't have enough holidays. I would definitely think about Croatia, rory.

It is a good tip sam. I am looking at the moment and intend to take a trip to somewhere sunny at the start of June.

Any ideas?

what kind of holiday are you after?

Was doing a quick comparison of a holiday to Turkey in mid july based on flying from Glasgow - cost £1,200 versus flying from Newcastle - cost £813. :rolleyes:

1 week in Spain (flights only) from Glasgow for 5 people, £1,800. From London, £600. Manchester £800.

From Prestwick......£800..Yipee, see youse all next week. :angry:

Que?

See and have a great time, HH, and remember the snaps. :rolleyes:

1 week in Spain (flights only) from Glasgow for 5 people, £1,800. From London, £600. Manchester £800.

From Prestwick......£800..Yipee, see youse all next week. :rolleyes:

By the time Ryanair have finished with you you can add a couple of hundred on to that price.

1. Oh you want to sit down.........£5 please

2. The toilet......£1 please

3. Fresh air to breath.......£5 please

4. 6 ounces over your luggage limit and carrying a plastic shopping bag .........£123.47

By the time Ryanair have finished with you you can add a couple of hundred on to that price.

1. Oh you want to sit down.........£5 please

2. The toilet......£1 please

3. Fresh air to breath.......£5 please

4. 6 ounces over your luggage limit and carrying a plastic shopping bag .........£123.47

I don't think any of the airlines can provide fresh air to breathe, samsc.

I've been asking everyone for tips on how to best avoid jet lag as we have to be up and at 'em immediately on return. I've been given a few tips such as drinking lots of water, keeping moving and have also been told that a wee drop of Vick up your nose prevents you picking up the lurgies from all the stale air.

Don't tell Ryanair or they'll be charging a tenner for a dollop of Vick.

I am off to Canada soon but can't figure out how to arrange a visa to enter USA ? Anyone know?

Thanks Pat. Got it sorted x

Thanks Pat. Got it sorted x

That's great, hingmie. It seems a bit of a peculiar arrangement. Now just need to remember to print it out and take it to the airport.

Are you getting excited?

Eek!

I'll remain optimistic for the moment:

"It is not likely to be anything on the scale that was produced last year when the Eyjafjallajokull volcano erupted," University of Iceland geophysicist Pall Einarsson told The Associated Press. "That was an unusual volcano, an unusual ash size distribution and unusual weather pattern, which all conspired together to make life difficult in Europe."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_iceland_volcano

Eek!

I'll remain optimistic for the moment:

"It is not likely to be anything on the scale that was produced last year when the Eyjafjallajokull volcano erupted," University of Iceland geophysicist Pall Einarsson told The Associated Press. "That was an unusual volcano, an unusual ash size distribution and unusual weather pattern, which all conspired together to make life difficult in Europe."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_iceland_volcano

No volcanic ash over Scotland according to Ryanair. Mike O'Leary says some reports are 'mythical' and 'it's safe to fly'. Yet flights have been cancelled from Scottish airports today?

I thought they were all clear what they were doing after last year's incident. :lol:

No volcanic ash over Scotland according to Ryanair. Mike O'Leary says some reports are 'mythical' and 'it's safe to fly'. Yet flights have been cancelled from Scottish airports today?

I thought they were all clear what they were doing after last year's incident. :lol:

I'm told that my imagination can be overactive at times but just looking skywards I am very much inclined to disagree with Mr O'Leary. There's a very peculiar monster of a strange dun coloured low lying cloud up there. I think it's the ash. It seems to have had the effect of shrouding the library in quiet. Only the brave literary souls have ventured forth today. :)

Still I do hope that the skies are clear for all you flying folk. I'll soon be scooting down south and catching a boat.

CannyLass, I must say I agree with you re O`Leary who seems to take the view that on this issue everyone has got it wrong except him.I was discussing this at dinner and thought that normally aircraft,highly technical bits of kit,fly about the air with no problems.Add something to this equation, that is volcanic ash; so who really knows what effect this will have on the the aircraft?

Safety first I say,especially when you dont get a parachute. :lol:

CannyLass, I must say I agree with you re O`Leary who seems to take the view that on this issue everyone has got it wrong except him.I was discussing this at dinner and thought that normally aircraft,highly technical bits of kit,fly about the air with no problems.Add something to this equation, that is volcanic ash; so who really knows what effect this will have on the the aircraft?

Safety first I say,especially when you dont get a parachute. :lol:

All seems a bit unclear, Alecko. Surely the airline couldn't ignore the decision of the Irish Aviation Authority. Doesn't exactly fill you with confidence when airlines seem to be making different decisions. I thought that they 'had learned from last year'. :)

Hopefully it won't last too long.

Hingmie, I'm sure you'll be fine once you're up and off. I'm more nervous in a car with a fast driver, especially, those who insist on looking round at you - even when you're in the back seat. :rolleyes:

Canny Lass, that sounds like a plan. Have you a particular destination in mind or will any boat do?

The problem was the MET office predicted the cloud would be overhead by 6am yesterday (hence so many cancelled flights), however, it slowed and didn't arrive until the afternoon meaning those airlines that had not cancelled and took a chance were free to fly once they had applied to NATs for permission.

Hingmie, I'm sure you'll be fine once you're up and off. I'm more nervous in a car with a fast driver, especially, those who insist on looking round at you - even when you're in the back seat. :lol:

quote]

Pat, Was I doing that ? You were not in back seat though, lol

Pat, Was I doing that ? You were not in back seat though, lol

I didn't notice your driving,hingmie. I was too distracted by tam. :lol:

what kind of holiday are you after?

I would like something that is interesting but not too demanding. I do not fancy wandering round monuments or checking out galleries all day long. I am just starting to look at flights now. I saw some deals for Corfu and Crete so long as they are not in locations that are mainly for those that want to spend their nights clubbing and all day lying on the beach recovering. I enjoy a night out but nothing too rowdy. I am looking forward to feeling some sunshine on my skinny wee legs.

I have had many holidays in Greece over the years. I hated Rhodes and Zante (about 20 years ago). Wasn't that keen on Corfu, too developed. I loved Thassos, Parga, Paxos, Samos and Santorini and returned to these places many times. In recent years I have really gotten to like Skiathos Town (Greece) and like nothing better than to book a week on my own to catch up with some reading. Personally, I wouldn't thank you for the beach resorts on the island but the town is great and there is a lovely wee taxi boat that runs every half hour to Kanapitsa beach.

*sighs* looking out the window at very dull London weather.

I would like something that is interesting but not too demanding. I do not fancy wandering round monuments or checking out galleries all day long. I am just starting to look at flights now. I saw some deals for Corfu and Crete so long as they are not in locations that are mainly for those that want to spend their nights clubbing and all day lying on the beach recovering. I enjoy a night out but nothing too rowdy. I am looking forward to feeling some sunshine on my skinny wee legs.

Rethmynon in Crete would suit. As surprisingly would parts of Majorca and Gran Canaria.

To answer Hingmie's original question - Vancouver.

Mrs Jumjooger's sister is living there right now, as she and her man are two years into a three-year work placement in Victoria through his company. I'll fly directly there from work in Trinidad and will meet the missus there. I'll fly back to Trinidad once my month is up and she can stay on and spend some extra time with her sister, which will be nice for them as they are very close.

We had three weeks there last year and it was hot and sunny for all but half of one day. Vancouver Island is enormous and there is so much to see and do there. On top of that, a pleasant ferry trip takes you to Vancouver City and everywhere surrounding - such as Whistler. Vancouver has recently been voted one of the top city destinations in the world and I can see why, although there are other cities I personally prefer - such as Sydney and San Francisco.

Another short ferry ride will take you to Port Angeles in Washington State. Last year we drove right around Olympic National Park with the intention of staying in the State capital, Olympia, only to find that there were three major events taking place and not a bed to be had within a one-hour drive.

So, plenty of options, with the choice of repeating some of last year's trips or planning to see completely new places.

Until I visited Canada, it held absolutely no appeal for me. I can't believe how blinkered, and how wrong, I was, though I should have known as I had exactly the same attitude toward Australia until I went there.

Anyway, can't wait.

Until I visited Canada, it held absolutely no appeal for me...

Same here, JJ. I doubt I would ever have gone had my sister not gone to live there. I now visited many times and love it. I like the people and the way they embrace their multicultural population and I love the vastness and the great cities like Toronto and Montreal.

I've never been to Vancouver though. I hope you and Mrs JJ have another great trip.

I've only ever been to Greece once, rory. That was many years ago when my boys were about eight and ten. We went first of all to Aegina because I knew other people who were holidaying there. It was enjoyable but very humid so we headed back to Piraeus and caught a ship to Paros.

Sounds idyllic but what a journey. It was a really grotty old ship and everyone was seasick. After what seemed like days rather than hours we jumped ship at Syros and stayed there for a couple of days before selecting a better class of vehicle to take us on to Paros.

We had a fabulous time there. It was beautiful with amazing beaches and I bumped into people I knew from both Clydebank and London. We stayed in a lovely, very reasonable hotel and got up early every morning to go down and watch the fishermen bring in their catch then go for a swim before breakfast - lovely.

I've always intended returning. Another trip I fancy is to go to Venice and take the boat over to Croatia.