Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Pat

What did you do on those dark nights?

Hingmie, how ridiculous. Vandalism! What an attitude.

The really mad thing about it was the Housing Association took the complaint seriously and warned my friend that they had an anti social neighbour complaint logged against her and she was not, never again to allow the weans to chalk on the pavement outside her house.!!

She wrote a letter to them pointing out children need to be allowed to play etc but was then advised that there was a play park nearby and also given directions and information re

local sports centres etc.

The "aeroplane" shape. Ta, HH

One, two , three four five, once I a saw a fish alive, six, seven, eight nine ten, then I let it go again.

One, two , three four five, once I a saw a fish alive, six, seven, eight nine ten, then I let it go again.

Why did you let it go ?

Cos it bit my finger so

Which finger did it bite?

This little finger on my right !

This was a wee ditty I played wi my toddlers,HH

I don't remember well but I don't think we had songs to go along wi peever. Just hopping and then split legged manouevres (sp) ie On reaching nine turning back and then a leg in each box on say box 7 n 8 and 4 n 5 then jumping, turning in mid air and landing back in same boxes. If you strayed over the chalk lines, you were OUT. (away in a huff, in my case :( )

I still do, to-day, in fact.

Peever:

The safest and longest game to play from morning, noon til night on the streets and more correct pavements in Garnethill and Cowcaddens was "Beds". This was circa 1950. Also once you had made the outline of the game in the street, it faintly stayed there even after a heavy shower of rain. It could be played in most weathers except heavy rain or maybe snow. Then we would move it into the closes (the entrance) of the tenement buildings or a covered outdoor area, if we could find it. Woe betide a woman that would not let you play it there. It had a sort of OK status with the local families. The mothers knew where you were and who you were with.

The game as the name suggests was laid out like a bed of numbers and squares from number 1, the start and the finish to number 10, rest and turn. The best of the beds game was airplane beds, shaped like an airplane and I was the champion. Why this was never made an Olympic, Commonwealth sport I will never know. You could have two or more to play and if you wanted to practice, it was OK to do it yourself.

You could only play beds with a peever. This had to be a tin and the best was an old shoe polish tin with a screw lock on the side. Then you could open the tin and weight it down so that it would spin or skite over the beds to your starting number. Another good tin was a small sweetie tin and you were always a pal if you had any of these items.

To mark out your game you had to have pipe clay. That was a block of heavy pure white stuff that your Mammie used to whiten the steps with. I think we used chalk later on but the best was the pipe clay. This was another treasured item for this game.

The rules were simple and had many variations. To start with, the peever is laid to rest on home or number 1 and the object of the game is to shuffle the peever with the side of your foot in a hopping action across the boxes without putting your feet on the ground. Or landing the peever on a line. If you do any of this you were OUT, and another person started off. You restarted the game on the number you landed on. However, you had to shuffle the peever from the starting box onto that number before you could start.

Beds was also played in a fashion at school but it was never as popular there as ropes, rounders, balls, chassie, tig or football. It was a game for boys and girls and kept us happy outside, for hours. It was so great to cheer for your pal and wait for your turn in the game. Happy memories of a game that kept us fit and content.

If you get the time, take a visit to Scotland St. school. On the third floor they play old B&W movies devoted to school yard games & skipping ropes, mostly set in Edinburgh but who cares.

Ah, you have met the man then? :( Wonderful accent, btw.

Aberdonian. He was my mentor. :lol:

The really mad thing about it was the Housing Association took the complaint seriously and warned my friend that they had an anti social neighbour complaint logged against her and she was not, never again to allow the weans to chalk on the pavement outside her house.!!

She wrote a letter to them pointing out children need to be allowed to play etc but was then advised that there was a play park nearby and also given directions and information re

local sports centres etc.

They need a Sanity Clause. :(

Aberdonian. He was my mentor. :(

Aye, but listening to him (A similar experience to Tam, yi cannae get a word in)is a puir pleasure, you would think the man was Glasgow born and bred.

Aye, but listening to him (A similar experience to Tam, yi cannae get a word in)is a puir pleasure, you would think the man was Glasgow born and bred.

He is very interesting and has a fine dry wit, HH. Smart man. His book Mountain Days and Bothy Nights, that he wrote with Dave Brown, has been in print for about 30 years and is a classic of the genre. He's a very productive writer.

Ian is married to my friend Joan Mackenzie, a Heilan' lassie. He taught me history at Clydebank College. He was the person who told me to apply for Uni.

Why did you let it go ?

Cos it bit my finger so

Which finger did it bite?

This little finger on my right !

I don't remember well but I don't think we had songs to go along wi peever. Just hopping and then split legged manouevres (sp) ie On reaching nine turning back and then a leg in each box on say box 7 n 8 and 4 n 5 then jumping, turning in mid air and landing back in same boxes. If you strayed over the chalk lines, you were OUT. (away in a huff, in my case :( )

Pinkie to pinkie

Thumb to thumb

Make a wish

And it's sure to come

His book Mountain Days and Bothy Nights, wot he wrote with Dave Brown

:lol:

Sorry. against the rules I know, but ah coodnae resist. :(

He is very interesting and has a fine dry wit, HH. Smart man. His book Mountain Days and Bothy Nights, that he wrote with Dave Brown, has been in print for about 30 years and is a classic of the genre. He's a very productive writer.

Ian is married to my friend Joan Mackenzie, a Heilan' lassie. He taught me history at Clydebank College. He was the person who told me to apply for Uni.

A "hero" of yours then, Pat

Pinkie to pinkie

Thumb to thumb

Make a wish

And it's sure to come

Hawd the boat, hawd the boat, whit the hell has this to do with 'Peever'? :(

Sorry. against the rules I know, but ah coodnae resist. :(

I'll let you off but tell no-one. :)

Pinkie to pinkie

Thumb to thumb

Make a wish

And it's sure to come

eye, nose, cheeky cheeky chin

cheeky, cheeky chin, nose eye.

and when a bit older - heads, shoulders, knees n toes, knees n toes etc

Read the topic. lol DO keep up, Mr.

Pinkie to pinkie

Thumb to thumb

Make a wish

And it's sure to come

NO WAY, has this ditty anything to do with 'Peever'

:(

:(

So what did YOU do as a child when the dark nights were drawing in ?

Snow White knows a thing are two about the peever:

Pinched from the Science and Technology thread:

And to set the record straight about peevers ...old Gibbs toothpaste tins made peevers that hovered on the pavement, glided over cracks and stopped at any number on the beds you wanted it to stop at.

We used the old shoe polish tins -

Ox Blood seemed to be strangely superior in the skiting departent. :lol:

Snow White knows a thing are two about the peever:

Pinched from the Science and Technology thread:

We used the old shoe polish tins -

Ox Blood seemed to be strangely superior in the skiting departent. :lol:

O yes, Oxblood was a favourite colour to be used on the Daddy's brogues, iirc

O yes, Oxblood was a favourite colour to be used on the Daddy's brogues, iirc

Have shiny shoes lost their importance in life? It seems like a long time since I got the polish and the brushes out.

Have shiny shoes lost their importance in life? It seems like a long time since I got the polish and the brushes out.

No way, never. Shine is in. Especially when you are tripping the light fantastic and the man of the hoose needs highly polished leather soled dance shoes. One cannot do a dip , twinkle or a cucheracha with dull, sponge soled hush puppies.

As for my shine....patent leather high heels wae diamonds on the front. No polish....ah jist swipe them across his troosers while doing a tango. He thinks its quite sexy and I dont have the heart to tell him the only thing I'm buffing is my shoes.

I might need a new hip joint but hell....I am dancing with shine and sparkle.

No way, never. Shine is in. Especially when you are tripping the light fantastic and the man of the hoose needs highly polished leather soled dance shoes. One cannot do a dip , twinkle or a cucheracha with dull, sponge soled hush puppies.

As for my shine....patent leather high heels wae diamonds on the front. No polish....ah jist swipe them across his troosers while doing a tango. He thinks its quite sexy and I dont have the heart to tell him the only thing I'm buffing is my shoes.

I might need a new hip joint but hell....I am dancing with shine and sparkle.

What a glamourpuss! Keep up the deception ... and what's a cucheracha when it's at hame? laugh.gif

What a glamourpuss! Keep up the deception ... and what's a cucheracha when it's at hame? laugh.gif

I doubt she's kidding, harper. I can only imagine those shoes, Snow White, and have a soft spot for shiny black patent.

This is for harper:

How to dance the mambo curaracha

This lot discarded the shoes but kept the tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37obz2G7uas&feature=fvw