Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Hingmie

RAIN

In the West of Scotland we have always had a climate where we should have got used to rainy days and so are prepared for them. I know that. It always has rained here. What I want to know is why, over the last few years, we have the level of flooding on the roads that we are seeing now ?. Major sized puddles on most main roads causing traffic hold ups. Local drivers will be exceptionally nervous as due to the number of potholes remaining since last winter, it would be somewhat foolhardy to assume that you are only approaching surface water. I assume the drains don.t cope due to blockage. Must get worse in Autumn when the leaves fall. I used to see vehicles with suction devices clearing the drains about the city. Does that still happen, anyone seem them recently ? I haven't.

In the West of Scotland we have always had a climate where we should have got used to rainy days and so are prepared for them. I know that. It always has rained here. What I want to know is why, over the last few years, we have the level of flooding on the roads that we are seeing now ?. Major sized puddles on most main roads causing traffic hold ups. Local drivers will be exceptionally nervous as due to the number of potholes remaining since last winter, it would be somewhat foolhardy to assume that you are only approaching surface water. I assume the drains don.t cope due to blockage. Must get worse in Autumn when the leaves fall. I used to see vehicles with suction devices clearing the drains about the city. Does that still happen, anyone seem them recently ? I haven't.

The big trucks with the big trunks are still active at least in and around G12.

IMHO the issue with what might or might not be potholes is made considerable worse by people whose only concern is that they get there ASAP.

You'd think, wouldn't you, that a numpty in a Ford Ka or a VW Polo, on approaching a bit of road where they can't possible imagine what lies beneath what they can see would have a grudging respect for what might be the consequences of tearing thought what, to all intents and purposes, is no more than a puddle. Until, that is, they hear the reputation destroying sound of an alloy wheel being destroyed in the pothole that was there when they passed yesterday (only it wasn't full of water) or against the kerbstone which scraped the shine of their supposed reflection in their community.

But never mind. The world is full of ambulance chasers who'll happily represent them in actions where they're wholly in the wrong but will, none the less, come out smiling.

I've posted on this before, hingmie, but can't remember where.

As you point out it is very hazardous for drivers but there are also lots of problems for pedestrians. The Council really need to get their act together. Down here in Anniesland it's impossible to walk on the pavement without getting drenched as cars and buses churn through huge puddles.

When you're catching a bus you have to stand back to avoid being splashed and rush forward and leap over puddles to board.

There must be lots of old people stranded at home, people ruining their clothes and acquiring injuries.