Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Pat

Scottish Education

Three hours to travel 15 mile - that seems a long time. Still they would be cheaper laying on the transport for the weans. Must cost less than paying all those salaries not to mention the upkeep of the school.

Which is precisely the point I was on about with my own example. How come some kids get £54K per capita when in other areas its a minuscule fraction of that? To the detriment of kids who live in the urban areas, I'd suggest.

Should the majority who live within reach of civilisation subsidise those who don't, to that extent?

Personally I wouldn't subject my own kid to a daily 30 mile roundtrip just so I could live in a remote place of my choosing-

And I believe it's possibly a mistake to keep your kids away from mixing with others their own age anyway.

Where and what is the catchment area for the secondary school for Inversnaid primary ? and how do the pupils get there? Does anyone know ?

In a similur vein tae Roly:

When wee notra wiz atra big skool, it wiz plain tae see that ra heidie wiz an erse but he played ra politikil game well.

Wee nota wiz daein 3 advanced highers, he wae some of his pals were bussed frae skool tae skoll as diffrint skolls hosted diffrint subjects - worked quite well

In his ain skool they ran advanced higher maths, they shared a class wae remedial maths pupils, the teachur they were lumbered wae couldnae cope wae explainin advanced maths and couldnae contriol the fekwit pyoopils either. She sat and texted people fur mauist ovra lessins - it wiz so bad nae ithur skoll sent thur pyooplils there.

I met her a cuppla times tae complain aboot lessin quality, she's ra only bimbo mafss teachur ah huv ever come across, dyed blond herr wae a lights on but naebuddy in demeenur. Efter a bit oif investigashun ah found oot that the skoll wiz jist a graveyard of useless fekwit teechurs who couldnae make ra grade elsewhere

Ah huv posted before on ithur stuff that went on at this skool so ah wulkl no' dae it again - thank fek its noo shut doon

In a similur vein tae Roly:

When wee notra wiz atra big skool, it wiz plain tae see that ra heidie wiz an erse but he played ra politikil game well.

Wee nota wiz daein 3 advanced highers, he wae some of his pals were bussed frae skool tae skoll as diffrint skolls hosted diffrint subjects - worked quite well

In his ain skool they ran advanced higher maths, they shared a class wae remedial maths pupils, the teachur they were lumbered wae couldnae cope wae explainin advanced maths and couldnae contriol the fekwit pyoopils either. She sat and texted people fur mauist ovra lessins - it wiz so bad nae ithur skoll sent thur pyooplils there.

I met her a cuppla times tae complain aboot lessin quality, she's ra only bimbo mafss teachur ah huv ever come across, dyed blond herr wae a lights on but naebuddy in demeenur. Efter a bit oif investigashun ah found oot that the skoll wiz jist a graveyard of useless fekwit teechurs who couldnae make ra grade elsewhere

Ah huv posted before on ithur stuff that went on at this skool so ah wulkl no' dae it again - thank fek its noo shut doon

The school catchment area plays a significant role with regard to house prices in the West End, Nota. Don't know if the parents actually get round to interviewing all the teachers right enough. You couldn't always go by hair colour mind you. :lol:

The school catchment area plays a significant role with regard to house prices in the West End, Nota. Don't know if the parents actually get round to interviewing all the teachers right enough. You couldn't always go by hair colour mind you. :lol:

Ah wisnae interviewin her ah wiz meeting with her at parents nights and by request tae discuss the lack of wee notas progress - we also found out tae cover her ain inadequacies that she wiz wan of those types who blame everywn else but herself - she wiz welll oota her depth teechin advanced maths - wan of ma pals taught advanced maffs at anithur skool and ah hud read ra curriculum, much of whut ah hud done maself at wan time - she wiz useless at it.

Efter ma furst meetin wae her ah went staright tae her boss and lodged an offishul complaint aboot her atitude and her thinkin bein in ra class wiz an extenshun of her soshul life, coz she spent valuable teechin time textin and talkin on her phone

Dunno whut ra skool catchment huz tae dae wae teechurs bein useless bu thi swiz ra skool weee nota went tae before we moved doon here, he wanted tae keep goin tae that skool wae his pals.

every inspection ra skool hud they got marked doon on educashunul attainment but r aerse of a heidie publikly stated he didnae much care aboot that as some ovra wenas helped oot ion ra community.

It wisnae jist ra herr colur but ra vacant ignorence of her demeenur, ra herr colur jist confirmed that sometimes stereotypes ur troo

Ah wisnae interviewin her ah wiz meeting with her at parents nights and by request tae discuss the lack of wee notas progress - we also found out tae cover her ain inadequacies that she wiz wan of those types who blame everywn else but herself - she wiz welll oota her depth teechin advanced maths - wan of ma pals taught advanced maffs at anithur skool and ah hud read ra curriculum, much of whut ah hud done maself at wan time - she wiz useless at it.

Efter ma furst meetin wae her ah went staright tae her boss and lodged an offishul complaint aboot her atitude and her thinkin bein in ra class wiz an extenshun of her soshul life, coz she spent valuable teechin time textin and talkin on her phone

Dunno whut ra skool catchment huz tae dae wae teechurs bein useless bu thi swiz ra skool weee nota went tae before we moved doon here, he wanted tae keep goin tae that skool wae his pals.

every inspection ra skool hud they got marked doon on educashunul attainment but r aerse of a heidie publikly stated he didnae much care aboot that as some ovra wenas helped oot ion ra community.

It wisnae jist ra herr colur but ra vacant ignorence of her demeenur, ra herr colur jist confirmed that sometimes stereotypes ur troo

I would have imagined that it had quite a lot to do with it. Surely the sought after schools are those with heidie's that are presumed to know what they are doing and teachers perceived to have considerable ability? Otherwise how do the schools gain their high ratings in the performance tables.?

I can't imagine that there are too many heidies unconcerned with the educational attainment of their pupils. Very odd!

I would still leave the hair colour out of the argument. :lol:

I would have imagined that it had quite a lot to do with it. Surely the sought after schools are those with heidie's that are presumed to know what they are doing and teachers perceived to have considerable ability? Otherwise how do the schools gain their high ratings in the performance tables.?

A lot of it (as huz been discussed many many many times :lol: ) huz tae dae wae parents, teechur quality, heidie leadership, ra weans themselves, local authority interest skool league tables can be manipulated by ra skools management team as well

I can't imagine that there are too many heidies unconcerned with the educational attainment of their pupils. Very odd!

Yes but it wisnae at ra tap of his priorities

I would still leave the hair colour out of the argument. :D

This wiz ra skool that gave wee nota an empty envelop as a prize becoz he hud achieved to much already and informed us teh empty enevelope wae IBMS name on it wiz jist a publicity/pr stunt tae keep IBM happy - wance ah hud a word wae them they wurr far frae happy

This wiz ra skool that gave wee nota an empty envelop as a prize becoz he hud achieved to much already and informed us teh empty enevelope wae IBMS name on it wiz jist a publicity/pr stunt tae keep IBM happy - wance ah hud a word wae them they wurr far frae happy

Whit a cheek! Nota, I sometimes feel that you are truly wasted on here, although please don't go, I can imagine you off somewhere pursing a fascinating career in investigative journalism. You're Inverclyde's cross between Esther Rantzen and Louis Theroux and I just hope all your work in the name of justice is appreciated doon there. :D

p.s. I know this school was before you moved. :lol:

Surely the sought after schools are those with heidie's that are presumed to know what they are doing and teachers perceived to have considerable ability? Otherwise how do the schools gain their high ratings in the performance tables.?

I would still leave the hair colour out of the argument. :P

I agree with Nota, as it happens. Headteachers are so consumed with the many and varying needs of all their pupils with very varied abilities-- as laid down by HMIE--- that I too believe academic attainment is not always their main priority--and my own example and that of many other parents with kids at Glasgow state schools might just agree, West End or not :huh:

Of course there are good teachers and a few not so good. I doubt anyone here routinely trashes them just for the sake of it. There are also good school policies and bad ones--and I see no problem in highlighting those if you're aware of them either.

I believe Nota is also correct about the manipulation of school stats; I've seen this in action myself of late. An A at Int 2 is seen as a better 'result' than a C or a 'projected' Fail at Higher--and some pupils ARE being encouraged to lower their sights rather than aim high and push themselves a bit. Yes, even in West End schools....

There's a paucity of ambition that I personally find shocking and I'm not sure I'm alone there either. And the lack of provision by GCC Education Dept in some areas NEEDS to be spoken about, whether it offends West End sensibilities or not.

When I was in school we had an hour's trip to get home after school, because they ran the route backward so the kids who had to get up earliest got home first. In the morning it was a half hour to get to school.

There were many kids who rode school buses more than an hour either way.

It doesn't seem like a fifteen minute ride either way is very far.

I agree with Nota, as it happens. Headteachers are so consumed with the many and varying needs of all their pupils with very varied abilities-- as laid down by HMIE--- that I too believe academic attainment is not always their main priority--and my own example and that of many other parents with kids at Glasgow state schools might just agree, West End or not :huh:

Of course there are good teachers and a few not so good. I doubt anyone here routinely trashes them just for the sake of it. There are also good school policies and bad ones--and I see no problem in highlighting those if you're aware of them either.

I believe Nota is also correct about the manipulation of school stats; I've seen this in action myself of late. An A at Int 2 is seen as a better 'result' than a C or a Fail at Higher--and some pupils ARE being encouraged to lower their sights rather than aim high and push themselves a bit. Yes, even in West End schools....

There's a paucity of ambition that I personally find shocking and I'm not sure I'm alone there either. And the lack of provision by GCC Education Dept in some areas NEEDS to be spoken about, whether it offends West End sensibilities or not.

Doon oor wae ra high performin skools manipulate the results by daein jist whit roly says, they only present pupils fur exams that they will pass and pass well, if they are aroon C grade at ra subject they are discouraged frae sittin it.

Greenock Academy (aunty annabel's alma mater do this)

The decision to present or not is made only half way through the school year after the prelims in Dec/Jan.

In one of Ms T's subjects there was a lot of essay writing involved, she got her timing a bit wrong in the prelim and didn't manage to finish the paper.

She was predicted at C, and we battled to allow her to continue a subject she was good at and interested in.

I'm glad we didn't cave in, because she got an A in her Higher a few months later.

The decision to present or not is made only half way through the school year after the prelims in Dec/Jan.

In one of Ms T's subjects there was a lot of essay writing involved, she got her timing a bit wrong in the prelim and didn't manage to finish the paper.

She was predicted at C, and we battled to allow her to continue a subject she was good at and interested in.

I'm glad we didn't cave in, because she got an A in her Higher a few months later.

wee nota wiz like many boys, pish at Engerlish, in his higher prelim he scraped a pass and nae merr. They didnae want tae present him but we dug wur heels in, they wnted him tae dae that int1/2 pish which isnae worth fek all.

Anyroadas efter insistin that he gets tae dae ra Higher he passed at C but that wiz all he needed

Guest larrytrooper

Doon oor wae ra high performin skools manipulate the results by daein jist whit roly says, they only present pupils fur exams that they will pass and pass well, if they are aroon C grade at ra subject they are discouraged frae sittin it.

Greenock Academy (aunty annabel's alma mater do this)

We were the same regards our daughter being presented for one of her highers, we also dug our heels in and thankfully she did well.

My wife used to teach at Finart High School

Larry.

I would have imagined that it had quite a lot to do with it. Surely the sought after schools are those with heidies that are presumed to know what they are doing and teachers perceived to have considerable ability? Otherwise how do the schools gain their high ratings in the performance tables.?

Nota:

A lot of it (as huz been discussed many many many times :huh: ) huz tae dae wae parents, teechur quality, heidie leadership, ra weans themselves, local authority interest skool league tables can be manipulated by ra skools management team as well

Pat

Nota

Yes but it wisnae at ra tap of his priorities

Pat

I would still leave the hair colour out of the argument. :P

So the school league table shouldn't play an important part in considering what school you would like your child to go to?

How do you go about figuring out what is a good school?

Certainly it would seem that children whose parents are prepared to challenge decisions are at considerable advantage. There must be lots of kids whose parents accept decisions made as irrevocable or just simply don't have the confidence to challenge the school.

Here word gets round fast which high schools get good results and which schools to avoid and as you can send kid to any school that will accept it the "better" schools get better (Teachers ask for transfers to them) and the worse schools get worser, sort of Darwinian theory applied to Education.

Here word gets round fast which high schools get good results and which schools to avoid and as you can send kid to any school that will accept it the "better" schools get better (Teachers ask for transfers to them) and the worse schools get worser, sort of Darwinian theory applied to Education.

Makes sense, Oz. Here the catchment area system seems to cause difficulties. I've often heard that Jordanhill is a very sought after area in the housing market because parents are dead keen for their kids to go to the school there. I assumed this was related to the league tables.

http://www.scottishhouseprices.com/public/schoolleaguetable.aspx

Here again schools HAVE TO accept kids from "catchment area" but other than that can pick and choose pupils.

Free buses are provided to take kids anywhere to school (may have to change buses at selected interchanges)

Makes sense, Oz. Here the catchment area system seems to cause difficulties. I've often heard that Jordanhill is a very sought after area in the housing market because parents are dead keen for their kids to go to the school there. I assumed this was related to the league tables.

http://www.scottishhouseprices.com/public/schoolleaguetable.aspx

Jordanhill is an exception, Pat, not the norm. It's neither state school nor private fee-paying school (it is funded directly by the Scottish Executive) but it gets results similar to most private schools-------and so far ahead of Glasgow state schools it's frankly astonishing.

In Glasgow city, if you don't fancy your local school you're entitled to make a placing request for another of your choice. There's no guarantee of getting that place either, though many are lucky. However while you can make an admission request to Jordanhill they are extremely strict on their catchment area. And living in the catchment is no guarantee of admission either.

Certainly it would seem that children whose parents are prepared to challenge decisions are at considerable advantage. There must be lots of kids whose parents accept decisions made as irrevocable or just simply don't have the confidence to challenge the school.

Then again, there are plenty parents who don't actually set that much store by education.....and some kids are so far behind even in the early years of primary, what chance do they have?

I'm not sure that even the country's best teachers can produce results if a child has no support or encouragement at home. But that's just a personal view. :lol:

And living in the catchment is no guarantee of admission either.

I can verify that, we moved to Jordanhill when my son David was 4, he was starting high school before he was accepted, in the meantime he went to Broomhill Primary, which was an excellent schoool.

The exact same's happened to a few friends of mine who practically bankrupted themselves to move into the catchment area. Many of their kids ended up at Broomhill Primary as well, and speak highly of it.

When the time came to register Ms T for school, I briefly considered cheating her into Jordanhill by using my mum's address-- and the fact that me and both siblings went there---but having visited the walking-distance Kelvindale Primary I was very happy with it. Also I reckoned it would be better for her to live in the same community as most of her schoolfriends.

As for her current secondary, it's no better or worse than any of the local state secondaries. All of whom figure high in the current 'league tables'.

I just personally think kids should have the same opportunities no matter their postcode and that those living in urban areas should not have to accept a lesser education because of that particular demographic.

But call me old-fashioned :lol:

I just personally think kids should have the same opportunities no matter their postcode and that those living in urban areas should not have to accept a lesser education because of that particular demographic

Totally aggree with you Rolo, and can understand some of the underhand things paerents do to get their children into their school of choice. How can one school be so good and others not, is it funding, teaching, rules