Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
HollowHorn

Kelvingrove Bandstand. 1926

Wonderful, HH. Just the way it should be. The City Council should be getting their teeth into sorting out the bandstand. What a venue.

Wonderful, HH. Just the way it should be. The City Council should be getting their teeth into sorting out the bandstand. What a venue.

And lovely to see all those men in hats. It was a bit different in oor day. :lol:

And lovely to see all those men in hats. It was a bit different in oor day. :P

I was known to wear an assortment of floppy hats and ethnic scarfs - sometimes both :lol:

I don't know when it hosted its last concert, but I remember being at one in '75.

The links to the right are mostly 1926, like HH's clip. Here's one from 1901, though. It's Jamaica Street. Nice to see the horses all looking fit and well. They seemed to enjoy their work, which is good to see.

It's a helluva interesting clip and makes you wonder how many other vintage movies of Glasgow scenes there are on Youtube. Bear in mind, the ones on the right are nearly all 1926, so if that's the sample for just one year, there must be loads of others from other years, enough for a thread on its own.

I don't know when it hosted its last concert, but I remember being at one in '75.

The links to the right are mostly 1926, like HH's clip. Here's one from 1901, though. It's Jamaica Street. Nice to see the horses all looking fit and well. They seemed to enjoy their work, which is good to see.

It's a helluva interesting clip and makes you wonder how many other vintage movies of Glasgow scenes there are on Youtube. Bear in mind, the ones on the right are nearly all 1926, so if that's the sample for just one year, there must be loads of others from other years, enough for a thread on its own.

I was at the Kelvingrove concert in 1975 as a matter of fact my ex was playing that day. :P I had just seen Led Zep at Earls Court that weekend as well ....What a Hoot :P:P

I have been totally obsessed with that Jamaica Street film since I seen it :lol: It is so moving

Guest westtender

And lovely to see all those men in hats. It was a bit different in oor day. :lol:

Ooh look, there'll be Dex along in a minute, telling those good folk how much they'd enjoy his thump thump migraine-inducing fest elsewhere in the park.....

Ooh look, there'll be Dex along in a minute, telling those good folk how much they'd enjoy his thump thump migraine-inducing fest elsewhere in the park.....

And he would be right - some will. :lol:

Still the park would be even better with its bandstand.

Guest westtender

And he would be right - some will. :lol:

One would assume they are there at the bandstand to hear pleasant music. If so, no, they won't.

Dare I ask, what kind of music does Dex play

I don't think Dex plays it, Maggs. I think he kinda promotes it. Here's an example (I think). It didnae gie me a migraine, but I can unnerstand how some folk might have a bad reaction to it.

One would assume they are there at the bandstand to hear pleasant music. If so, no, they won't.

One would assume that tastes vary - one would be right. The Sub-City stage is always mighty popular.

Guest westtender

One would assume that tastes vary - one would be right. The Sub-City stage is always mighty popular.

:lol:

Define 'popular'. Among people who are not interested in music, but only in piggybacking onto other folks' good work, and flipping a finger at the law, and disdaining those who criticise them, possibly. But who cares what they like.

:lol:

Define 'popular'. Among people who are not interested in music, but only in piggybacking onto other folks' good work, and flipping a finger at the law, and disdaining those who criticise them, possibly. But who cares what they like.

What you mean is people who're not interested in the same music as you :lol:

I well mind my own parents dissing everything I ever listened to in the 70s/80s, that's NOT REAL MUSIC! they'd cry...aghast.

I'm sure Dex'll be along to comment soon enough, since you've dragged his name into the thread completely a propos of nuthin'.... :lol:

Guest westtender

Yay, let's have that fight all over again!

I am CERTAIN of what them good bowlerhatted music loving folks would have made of the dreepydrawered slackjawed thump thump yahoos and their migraine-inducing so-called 'music'

Not my type of music, however I do believe everyone is entitled to their own choice, and to hear what they enjoy, amongst other styles at open air venues. THat goes for those who want to listen to Chas and Dave at a festival, each to their own.

I have been totally obsessed with that Jamaica Street film since I seen it :lol: It is so moving

Check out the cart driver picking his nose and then examining the result on his fingertip. :lol:

Lots & lots of hats too.

Aye but none as nice as your Tunnocks contraception, that photo made me smile :lol: , ye canny buy class

Aye but none as nice as your Tunnocks contraception, that photo made me smile :lol: , ye canny buy class

Shoosht you!!!

I was at the Kelvingrove concert in 1975

Do you remember them passing round the bowls of brown rice & Martini (diffrint bowls btw)

Guest westtender

Check out the cart driver picking his nose and then examining the result on his fingertip. :lol:

*boak*

No that I'm gonna go back and examine and re-examine! :lol: - but it really looked to me like he was chawin a fingernail. I'd like to think he was....

No bloated waddling obese whales spoling the view and claimin it's their glands/meds/hormones making them fat. Not a one.

And no blondes. Not a one.

It looks to me like there's a totally different bit of film tacked on at the end of this - who's the baund, and where are they? Looks west end-ish but I can't be sure...

I wonder how many of them would have gone home for their tea that day and speculated as to who might see that film in the future, 100+ years on....god knows how many of those faces died in the trenches.

Melancholy stuff.

Do you remember them passing round the bowls of brown rice & Martini (diffrint bowls btw)

NO :lol: but then I was totally out me heed that day not with illicit drugs but with emotion.

It was a Sunday and the breeze of a Glasgow Summer's day was gently blowing through the jasmine of my mind.......... Naw I had come back the night before from probably the greatest show I had ever seen Led at Earls Court and we were still buzzin from that plus I had only started going out with a bloke who was playing that day at Kelvingrove - cover songs and 1 Led Zep number which was surreal however the band (Kelvingrove :lol: ) were good and we forgave them :( plus it was my birthday -18 years young...now I'm greetin.