Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
yonza bam

'Forgotten' Byres Rd cafe that I've just remembered after nearly 30 years

Funny how the mind works. I was having one of them snoozes where you're not really asleep, but not awake either. Know the kind I mean? A kind of twilight state in which consciousness oscillates on the boundary between sleep and wakefulness. I often find I have dreamlike reminiscences of long forgotten people and places in this state, often of a quite trivial kind. God knows how and why they surface after lying in storage undisturbed for so many years.

Anyways, in this one I remembered bumping into a fella I'd worked beside in Shetland in '79. He'd left the job that year with a girl he met up there and they got a flat in Dowanhill. I left in '80 and got a flat in Bowmont Terrace, at the top of Athole Gardens. I bumped into the pair of them one day in a Byres Road cafe that I'd completely forgotten about. It's not there any more and hasn't been for donkey's years. It was a dining area at the back (I think) of a bakery chain shop, similar to Crawford's. It might have been a Crawford's shop, but I couldn't say for sure.

I think it was in the block opposite the subway station. I hardly ever was in it, as it was my least favourite cafe in the area, which is probably why it slipped from memory. The Grosvenor was always first choice, followed by the Gardens. Anyone remember this cafe, or what the shop is now on that site?

Guest westtender

Ye don't mean the deeply dim & dismal City Bakeries, all wicker seats and big overhanging red lamps? That was across from the subway, but it was quite big IIRC.

Now partly Paperino's.

Ye don't mean the deeply dim & dismal City Bakeries, all wicker seats and big overhanging red lamps? That was across from the subway, but it was quite big IIRC.

Now partly Paperino's.

City Bakeries - that'll be it. That's a blast from the past. What happened to them? Probably put out of business by Gregg's. I'da thought their demise predated your arrival in the west end, but obviously not. And how do you remember details like 'wicker seats' and 'red lamps'? Impressive (but weird).

use d to be City Bakeries all over the place. Some served "wholseome meals" which were one better than nothing. Ate in several, remember one in Rutherglen & one at Eastwood Toll

Now partly Paperino's.

Yep I think you're right there, Westtie.

Deffo City Bakeries. Twas the student hangout when I was at Uni, like a prequel to Greggs. :lol:

No memory whatsoever of the interior decor detail. My memory cells seem to work on a one in, one out principle these days.. :(

Mind you I can recall every detail of the Grosvenor cafe, before and after relocation :)

Guest westtender

City Bakeries - that'll be it.

Hmmm. Were those particular premises 'through the back'?

That's a blast from the past. What happened to them? Probably put out of business by Gregg's.

Hellish dear, and food rank rotten.

I'da thought their demise predated your arrival in the west end, but obviously not.

I was only here a couple of years before that branch closed. I've mentioned its inclusion in my QM handbook when I was in 1st year. Wisnae complimetary!

And how do you remember details like 'wicker seats' and 'red lamps'? Impressive (but weird).

I have the memory of an elephant.

Anyway - it's you that's rememberin it!!

I dimly remember a cafe ( think it was Italian) at the top of Byres Rd either where Roots and Fruits is or a bit nearer Waitrose. I "dimly remember" it cause it was a place to have a hang over meal on a Sunday afternoon after leaving some house/ some party :lol: The seating area was at the back as well.

City Bakeries - that'll be it. That's a blast from the past. What happened to them? Probably put out of business by Gregg's. I'da thought their demise predated your arrival in the west end, but obviously not. And how do you remember details like 'wicker seats' and 'red lamps'? Impressive (but weird).

City Bakeries whurr everywere, we evin had wan in Port Glesga, although withoot the eat-in part

I dimly remember a cafe ( think it was Italian) at the top of Byres Rd either where Roots and Fruits is or a bit nearer Waitrose. I "dimly remember" it cause it was a place to have a hang over meal on a Sunday afternoon after leaving some house/ some party :lol: The seating area was at the back as well.

I might have served you when I was a wee lassie. It had mirrors all along one side and a sort of Canadian mountain landscape along the other?

I might have served you when I was a wee lassie. It had mirrors all along one side and a sort of Canadian mountain landscape along the other?

So, you feel that Iona is much older than you? :lol: Aye, yir prolly right. :lol:

Actually, noo that I've had a bit longer to reflect, the City Bakeries shop wisnae all that bad. If all you wanted was a Scotch pie or a roll and square sliced sausage, it did the job. I think it also served wee pots of tea instead of a cuppa. Could be wrong about that, though.

Best thing about it was that it was fairly spacious and you were guaranteed a table to yourself. Oft times in the Grosvenor, it was crowded and you found yourself sharing a table with three strangers. I can remember lighting up after I'd finished my food in the Grosvenor and getting disapproving looks.

So, you feel that Iona is much older than you? :D Aye, yir prolly right. :rolleyes:

I didn't say it was me with the hangover :D

Harper! I might have been the wee lassie who was too wee to reach the counter to pay for her pokey hat and looked around and saw all these hungover hippies eating mince and tatties on a Sunday afternoon :(

Harper! I might have been the wee lassie who was too wee to reach the counter to pay for her pokey hat and looked around and saw all these hungover hippies eating mince and tatties on a Sunday afternoon :D

Nah, Iona, any hippies worth their salt were down the Third Eye on a Sunday afternoon, comparing afghans, stripy socks (wi toes) and those god awful stripey rainbow jumpers whilst trying to piece thegethir where they'd been the previous night... :rolleyes:

They musta been 'weekend' hippies you saw.

Anyone here mind Aquarius? :D On the same block as the cafe you mention.

Talking of forgotten cafes. Is Miss Cranstons still around? Used to have lunch there from time to time.

Talking of City Bakeries they used to make mutton pies which were indescribable & other delicacies such as swiss roll & swiss tart . Always reckonned they should have been spelt swizz coz I always fancied a roll with a Swiss tart but it never eventuated :lol:

Nah, Iona, any hippies worth their salt were down the Third Eye on a Sunday afternoon, comparing afghans, stripy socks (wi toes) and those god awful stripey rainbow jumpers whilst trying to piece thegethir where they'd been the previous night... :lol:

They musta been 'weekend' hippies you saw.

Anyone here mind Aquarius? :lol: On the same block as the cafe you mention.

I confess I was old enough to be one of the hippies (apprentice) :lol:

I remember Aquarius - I went out with a bloke who worked there on a Saturday

Talking of forgotten cafes. Is Miss Cranstons still around? Used to have lunch there from time to time.

Talking of City Bakeries they used to make mutton pies which were indescribable & other delicacies such as swiss roll & swiss tart . Always reckonned they should have been spelt swizz coz I always fancied a roll with a Swiss tart but it never eventuated :lol:

Are pastries better or worse in Oz oz?

Dunno if tis the same one as you remember, Oz, but I had lunch in Miss Cranstons (or should that be Ms now?) in Gordon St a few weeks back.

There's also the Willow Tearoom in Sauchiehall St, which is kinda Mockintosh in decor.

You can still get a traditional 'high tea' in both of em. Marvellous! :huh:

Are pastries better or worse in Oz oz?

Depends where you buy them. Vians Hubby used to make great ones (see wee stories yonks back) yummy

The mass produced pastries aint to crash hot but some of the small patiserries are bloody fantastic.

Dunno if tis the same one as you remember, Oz, but I had lunch in Miss Cranstons (or should that be Ms now?) in Gordon St a few weeks back.

There's also the Willow Tearoom in Sauchiehall St, which is kinda Mockintosh in decor.

You can still get a traditional 'high tea' in both of em. Marvellous! :huh:

Think same one bout half way along Gordon Street on South side between Renfield Street & Buchanan street upstairs on 2 levels

Remember willow tea room, I think all willow wallpaper on walls & cane furniture, never ate there.

Also Ca'dora above City Bakeries corner Renfield Street & Gordon Street & RS Mc Colls cafeteria beside side entrance to Central Station. It was terrible

The very one, Oz.

http://www.list.co.uk/place/100675-miss-cranstons-tearoom/

Willow Tearooms;

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...w_Tearooms5.jpg

Something happened wi the Ca'Doro building a few years back, I was away at the time, came back to find it closed down, something to do wi the structure caving in...someone here'll remember no doot.

Canny mind it . That photo is way way after my time. Was it up near Locarno? between it & Regal Pic house on North side of Sauchiehall street?

Just to confuse hell outa me there was one beside Mclellan Galleries on other side of road which was passable & licenced

Depends where you buy them. Vians Hubby used to make great ones (see wee stories yonks back) yummy

The mass produced pastries aint to crash hot but some of the small patiserries are bloody fantastic.

haha great story about the war vets :huh:

The Willow tearooms in Sauchiehall St used to be Daly's department store. They had the beautiful Willow doors covered up and used that area as one of the storerooms :huh: this was pre CRM souvenir days.