Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
yonza bam

The 'Nice Word' Thread

Come by chance and (censured) are towns, located in Newfoundland; Come by chance at the head of Placentia Bay.

tam

censured proper noun....gimme a D and an I, followed by an L then sing the first note of Doe a deer a female deer.

Come by chance and (censured) are towns, located in Newfoundland; Come by chance at the head of Placentia Bay.

tam

censured proper noun....gimme a D and an I, followed by an L then sing the first note of Doe a deer a female deer.

You'd not be wanting that particular search on your hard drive, would ya? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Merci Rolo,

mah furst laugh of the day.

tam

PS oanything a wee bit suspect oan my hard drive is blamed oan the grandsons.

Our Come-by-Chance is located in the wheat growing area of NSW aprox 700km NW of Sydney

CBCRaces.jpg

Not exactly a thriving metropolis

D Y

I'm not going to be able to guess because my mind is blocked - these are my Dad's and two of my brothers' initials. :lol:

D Y:

an auldie by Roger Miller.....Dang Ye Dang Ye they aughtta take a rope and hang ye.....

tam

Now place names. There is an interesting subject. I have two favorites: Cayuse Connection and HooDoo Mountain. Both beautiful places.

Now place names. There is an interesting subject. I have two favorites: Cayuse Connection and HooDoo Mountain. Both beautiful places.

I like Termonfeckin. It's in Ireland.

When I lived in Glasgow over 20 years ago, I used to see buses with 'Auchenshuggle' and 'Gowkthrapple' on their destination boards.

I'm not going to be able to guess because my mind is blocked - these are my Dad's and two of my brothers' initials. :lol:

Its the name of the place Pat

DEE WHY ( the town is top left)

Dee_Why_Lagoon.jpg

We have James Cook to thank for a lot of our place names such as Point Perpendicular, Mount Warning, Glass House Mountains, Broken BayBotany Bay as well as the more mundain names of places named after people such as Pittwater .

My own favourite is a result of Cook running aground on the reef. After he got the Endeavour ashore & repaired he took a ship's boat out to an island on the reef & climbed to the top of a hill to look for a gap in the reef. The hill is now called "Cooks Look"

I like Termonfeckin. It's in Ireland.

When I lived in Glasgow over 20 years ago, I used to see buses with 'Auchenshuggle' and 'Gowkthrapple' on their destination boards.

Both places still exist, YB. Lanarkshire I think. The digital displays on the front of buses these days struggle wi those place names....too many digits. Occasionally you still see Clydeba and Ruthergle, and sometimes Ishopbri

Auchenshuggle reminds me of my daily bus trip on the auld boneshaker that's the 11. Gowkthrapple aye makes me think of someone throttling someone really annoying by the throat, cartoon-styleee. No idea why really.... :lol:

Place names I like; Kingussie, Carnoustie, Inverary. :lol:

Both places still exist, YB. Lanarkshire I think. The digital displays on the front of buses these days struggle wi those place names....too many digits. Occasionally you still see Clydeba and Ruthergle, and sometimes Ishopbri

Auchenshuggle reminds me of my daily bus trip on the auld boneshaker that's the 11. Gowkthrapple aye makes me think of someone throttling someone really annoying by the throat, cartoon-styleee. No idea why really.... :lol:

Place names I like; Kingussie, Carnoustie, Inverary. :lol:

Auchenshuggle was the terminus at the end of the Dalmuir Tram Route before the 62 bus ran there. It's near Dalmarnock.

I like Inverary a lot. Sounds like it's both happy and special.

Always liked Tomintool only ever heard it in conjunction with the Devils Elbow & road closures.

Thought "Rest-and-be- thankful" was a great name

Cornucopia

A great word. Saw it today when reading about Annie Lennox' new album 'A Christmas Conucopia'

Mistletoe is another lovely word we hear around this time of year. Anymore?

just found this thread

my favourite word of the week is mistlethrush

favourite placenanes -anywhere in Cornwall eg

Lostwithiel

The Lizard

Lamorna Cove

Teetotal Street

Salubrious Place (both in St Ives) :)

just found this thread

my favourite word of the week is mistlethrush

favourite placenanes -anywhere in Cornwall eg

Lostwithiel

The Lizard

Lamorna Cove

Teetotal Street

Salubrious Place (both in St Ives) :lol:

I like your word of the week, Ionaw. "Mistlethrush" - lovely!

What about Jamaica Inn. :)

I always enjoy the ring of 'ridiculous'. :)

And another good one is 'periwinkle'.

SASHAYED.....a beauty...whether a lady is coming or going, if she is

sashaying it does make a man sit up and notice...no too many words

can add that much oomph tae a lady walking.

tam

SASHAYED.....a beauty...whether a lady is coming or going, if she is

sashaying it does make a man sit up and notice...no too many words

can add that much oomph tae a lady walking.

tam

I'm going to practise my sashaying.

Snowflake is a lovely word.

Alhambra is a great place name. It means 'red or crimson castle'. I like crimson too and indigo.

Cheque:-

is there another way of spelling "cheque" ? Am thinkin thit i must be making a mistake because microsoft is infallible, issitno ?

tam

Cheque:-

is there another way of spelling "cheque" ? Am thinkin thit i must be making a mistake because microsoft is infallible, issitno ?

tam

Well, there's check, tam. In Scotland to check means to give a row. :rolleyes:

Or you could have Houndstooth Check

Best friends.

They will be in Ediburgh for Christmas and New Years. A wee innocent Glespie lassie and her husband, going home for a month. I so wish I could tap her on the shoulder and surprise her.

I might just do it. Such a powerful feeling shared between us. Daft things shared and great surprises are the norm. She will be thinking of me and I her.

Nicest words that conjures up the nicest feelings. Best friend. Shared total trust is quite magnificent.