Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
yonza bam

The 'Nice Word' Thread

Guest westtender

there's nae 'h' in flabbergast... :lol:

I love all the Scots words for which the poor *nglish craturs don't have an exact equivalent. Oor words pack a ferr punch.

Scunnered.

Dreich.

Glaikit.

Crabbit.

Blether.

Stoater.

Boak.

Braw.

Crabbit.

Dook.

Fankle.

Dunt.

Haverin.

Beasties.

Glabber.

Gloaming.

Footer.

Fash.

Midden.

Oxter.

Rammy.

Puggled.

Thrawn.

Stramash.

Thole.

Smirr.

Shoogly.

Wheesht!

and another of my favourites (think an indignant Foghorn Leghorn!)....Hornswoggled!

'The teacher said, 'There are two words I will not allow in this classroom. One is 'gross' and the other is 'cool'.''

I wonder what they are. :lol:

'The teacher said, 'There are two words I will not allow in this classroom. One is 'gross' and the other is 'cool'.''

I wonder what they are. :lol:

Quite a few words not allowed in our house when the boys were wee, that would include: idiot and ugly.

But back to the nice words: translucent, copacetic, wondrous.

Ah particularly like "bouphin" ur evin "boufin"

meaning mingin, smelly

as in B.O. - Bouphin Oxters

Here, that sounds like some kinda cheese on sale in Waitrose...helluva lot more attractive wi the French pronunciation though... boufan oxterrrrs. <_<

Here, that sounds like some kinda cheese on sale in Waitrose...helluva lot more attractive wi the French pronunciation though... boufan oxterrrrs. :P

See you 'n' this Waitrose fascination, Rolo. ;)

Flurries, now there's a nice word - well illustrated in Glasgow this morning.

Flurries, now there's a nice word - well illustrated in Glasgow this morning.

Weather words:

Squall

zephyr

typhoon

azure

rainbow

drizzle

balmy

dreich

Regarding 'dreich', anyone know why it's never just 'dreich'? It always seems to be gey dreich, hereaboots.

Weather words:

Squall

zephyr

typhoon

azure

rainbow

drizzle

balmy

dreich

Regarding 'dreich', anyone know why it's never just 'dreich'? It always seems to be gey dreich, hereaboots.

Lovely, yonza, especially 'azure' and 'rainbow'. You're right, of course, you seldom hear 'dreich' without the 'gey' attached - same with gey close.

I wonder what they are. :P

arf arf ;)

Mellifluous

Yellowhammer

That's two nice words and what's more, they can be used together as in 'mellifluous yellowhammer'. I'm wasted on here (it's the Co-op brandy)

Ah pertikyoolurly like wannae the wurds in Yonza's openin post.

Brandy.

Paul Stokes from the Mash was interviewed (in a 'snowy' Athole Gardens) yesterday for a daft piece on Newsnight Scotland about media over-reaction to the err... 'droppyice' :lol:

Here's some Mash-like nice new words for you know what;

MEDIA DEMAND NEW WORDS FOR 'SNOW'

THE National Union of Journalists last night demanded at least 12 new words for snow.

###### Eskimos are hogging all the words for floatynice, say experts.

The NUJ has lobbied the Oxford English Dictionary to approve a range of synonyms including 'squibble', 'floatynice' and 'roadfliper'.

Wayne Hayes, The Sun's assistant editor (snow), said: "When you've written 500 words about the same thing for the 48th time, you soon realise the poverty of the English language.

Weather journalism in the UK has long been hampered by a lack of lexicological choice, with the same 'What A Scorcher!' headline being used during British heatwaves for the last 163 years.

But this winter has seen several tabloids repeating the same articles by feeding them through a computer thesaurus and adding a new photo of a driver standing next to an abandoned car looking cheesed off.

Hayes added: "I want to write 'Droppyice covers Britain or 'Boffins warn of further cloudshitey'. But those gayboy Oxford eggheads won't let me."

Meanwhile, the Met Office is warning motorists to make only essential journeys, on the assumption that millions of people want to sit on the M6 during a blizzard for no particular reason.

:lol:

Soft new snow: Heaven Talc. pavement cotton

Slush: Atishoo rain

Hard Snow: Arseripper, Whoopeedoo or bumbruiser

;) and Rigmarole.

I like Hocus-Pocus - you can feel that word.

Did you ever see that cartoon with Buggs Bunny and Dracula? Bugs says abracadabra and the count turns into a vampire, etc. It's one of the funniest cartoons I've ever seen. I tried to find it on the net, but only came up with some revamped films etc. Pity.

I like the word abracadabra. Also I like Happaranda, the name of a town we went to when I was in Sweden one year.

I like the word abracadabra. Also I like Happaranda, the name of a town we went to when I was in Sweden one year.

You'd probably like the name of a fast food chain in Southern Ireland then, Peony.

Abrakebabra ;)

Well, I'm having fun deciding how to pronounce it. ;)

Its easy just put on an Irish accent & cross eyes

Did you ever see that cartoon with Buggs Bunny and Dracula? Bugs says abracadabra and the count turns into a vampire, etc. It's one of the funniest cartoons I've ever seen. I tried to find it on the net, but only came up with some revamped films etc. Pity.

I've not seen the cartoon, peony, but abracadabra is brilliant.

Open Sesame is also good.

A word I like is harmonious.