Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
HollowHorn

Clydebank 1975 Video

From Owen at 'My Clydebank'

Hello Everybody,

I hope you are all well. Just a short note to let you know I have added an old film that I took in 1975 of Clydebank. I shot it on Super 8 cine film. It jumps a bit in places as it is very old but well worth a watch I think. I hope you enjoy it. Should bring back some memories for a lot of you.

http://www.myclydebankphotos.co.uk/page6.htm

You da man, bro. Pity it didn't have any people in it. Made it a bittie soulless. Music, opening scene and bit with the cranes were good, though. Sobering to think you an' me were both fully growed up men back then. Guess we've just gone backwards a bit :blink:

Thanks for posting that, HH (and Owen of course)...got a tad emotional watching it, to be honest :blink: recognising most of the locations...

I remember a different Clydebank centre, from about 1960 onwards, when it was busy and vibrant. Come '75 I was a student, first of my family to get to Uni an all that tosh, and of course, didn't visit my Clydebank gran, uncles, aunts and cousins up Kilbowie hill nearly as much as I should have. On the rare occasions that I did, I remember noticing the place being slowly demolished and the heart going out of it.

My grandad and several aunts worked at Singer and several uncles and boy cousins at John Browns, before it was Marathon. They drank at the Cleddans and the Atlantis, both of which I think are still there?

Sobering to think you an' me were both fully growed up men back then. Guess we've just gone backwards a bit :blink:

Even more sobering I had worked in Scotland for ages & had returned to Sunny Queensland by then.

Very depressing film, HH. Especially when you think of the throngs of men from the shipyards who crowded Clydebank streets. At lunchtime you could hardly get see Woolworths for a sea of dark blue overalls and like Rolo says, whole families were employed at Singers. I think at its peak the workforce topped 11,000.

It's a pity the Singer Clock disappeared as it was such a landmark. I think it was shipped over to America to one of the Singer towns there.

Sobering thought #3. That film was shot 34 years ago. The Clydebank blitz was in 1941, 34 years before it was shot. Makes ya feel ancient, don'tit?

Very depressing film, HH. Especially when you think of the throngs of men from the shipyards who crowded Clydebank streets. At lunchtime you could hardly get see Woolworths for a sea of dark blue overalls and like Rolo says, whole families were employed at Singers. I think at its peak the workforce topped 11,000.

It's a pity the Singer Clock disappeared as it was such a landmark. I think it was shipped over to America to one of the Singer towns there.

The workers ur replaced by teenage maws and 30 year old grannies pushin' prams