Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
rolo tomassi

Vintage Shop Signs

Noticed this morning a bloke up on a ladder beautifying an original sign above a shop at Kelvinbridge on the block Grassroots is on, Caledonian Mansions.

Brass on wood. The Glasgow Dairy Coy.

Shop windows are whitewashed as if a new occupant's about to arrive. Anyone know?

Noticed this morning a bloke up on a ladder beautifying an original sign above a shop at Kelvinbridge on the block Grassroots is on, Caledonian Mansions.

Brass on wood. The Glasgow Dairy Coy.

Shop windows are whitewashed as if a new occupant's about to arrive. Anyone know?

Don't know, Rolo. Do you mean next to Roots & Fruits?

From HG a while back:

3378176287_6d646cca76.jpg

wonder what'll happen to that? All the other Root & Fruits signs are now painted flush onto the walls above the shops. If they just cover that up and paint a sign on top of it, it'll ruin the flat uniformity. It's a beauty as well. I'm assuming it's Roots & Fruits who now own it ?

No, it's owned by the Giovanazzi's who own the chippy, what was O'Henry's downstairs, the pretentious Italian restaurant and I think Oddbins. They've already had problems from Historic Scotland over the frontage on some of their shops and in the past they have shown that they can be very reluctant to pay their fair share on the upkeep of one of Glasgow's most interesting listed buildings. If it's going to cost money to have it preserved it will probably mysteriously fall off into a bin one night.

It would be good to see it preserved in the new transport museum in their 1930's street, which I think they are going to recreate.

It was GLR Stores a hardware shop until a few years ago when George the owner sold it off at a bargain price to some Sikh family who pared its contents down (it was stacked to the gunnels when George ran it). It is part of a block called Caledonian Mansions which was re-roofed earlier this year. Everybody was to contribute to the roof job but the Sikhs found it too expensive and gave the shop up. I was told this by a locksmith who was using the back of the shop in February - as a HQ sort of thing, I think.

Pic by Nodrog.

Hawd the front page:

When I walked past today the "dairy" part had been removed, and it now reads "The Glasgow vintage Coy. It does indeed look lovely. The original letters have been repainted gold with black detail.

Good that the signage is being retained, Caledonian Mansions is a beautiful building.

A friend of mine lives there and told me the cost of the repairs; not sure what the retailers were asked to pay, but certainly the residents' share was pretty eye-watering. It's brilliant that people have dug deep to preserve it.

More news on the new occupant when I have it. The Kelvinbridge area's really on the up, with the exception of the Lansdowne Church building still 'looking for a future'. Let's hope something imaginative happens with that...and soon.

I like Kelvinbridge - 2 dentists in my life when I grew up in Glasgow and both were at Kelvinbridge (useless info of the day) :( and I went to school with a famous restaurateur/chef from there - very useful info! :huh:

I like Kelvinbridge - 2 dentists in my life when I grew up in Glasgow and both were at Kelvinbridge (useless info of the day) :P and I went to school with a famous restaurateur/chef from there - very useful info! :lol:

I like Kelvinbridge too, IonaW. My dentist is there too in Lansdowne Crescent and many years ago my hairdresser lived there at No 7.

I bought Jim a smart hat in the Vintage shop. There's a lovely new shop for babies and toddlers just opened on Great Western Road near Park Road - 'Rosie Cheeks' - isn't that a nice name? :)

I like Kelvinbridge too, IonaW. My dentist is there too in Lansdowne Crescent and many years ago my hairdresser lived there at No 7.

I bought Jim a smart hat in the Vintage shop. There's a lovely new shop for babies and toddlers just opened on Great Western Road near Park Road - 'Rosie Cheeks' - isn't that a nice name? :)

I think we must have shared the same dentist :P Rosie Cheeks is a brilliant name - which I had a shop called that.

For us who've been away for a while - where was the Kelvingrove cafe again? - in Kelvingrove :P

The last pic of the Kelvingrove Cafe is how it currently looks.

It's on Argyle St, on your left going out of town and just before the block that The Goat and the Ashoka are on.

One block south from the end of Kelvin Way at Sauchiehall Street.

The last pic of the Kelvingrove Cafe is how it currently looks.

It's on Argyle St, on your left going out of town and just before the block that The Goat and the Ashoka are on.

One block south from the end of Kelvin Way at Sauchiehall Street.

I'm confused Rolo the Goat and the Ashoka are on different sides of the street, and I thought this cafe was further down Argyle Street, I pass it every day on the way to work and it's on your right going to town and nearer the Ben Nevis than the Goat

I'm confused Rolo the Goat and the Ashoka are on different sides of the street, and I thought this cafe was further down Argyle Street, I pass it every day on the way to work and it's on your right going to town and nearer the Ben Nevis than the Goat

Is the correct answer.

Guest westtender

3340755811_44b555d254.jpg

That's next to (or near to) the rather cool Beethoven bust, isn't it...? Back when roond the front was the fancy music shop.

Guest westtender

Is the correct answer.

Agreed.

I believe that end of the building is at last getting some work done to it... is it the same block as the Ben Nevis, and the Ben Nevis end got all the work done and the other end was left to fall to rack and ruin?

Every time I pass this building I thinkwhat a shame it has been allowed to become a ruin, are there no laws against this.

OOH! How did you do that? I can never get google maps to save.

Anyhoo, yas, there's the Ben Nevis resplendent in green. The Kelvingrove cafe I think where the woman in the white top is. Next up on that side the Caravan shop....and at the end of thon, the Goat. Wi the Ashoka opposite by about 3 feet.

So. Does that answer your question, Iona? :lol:

(ps, there's hardly any trees in Argyle St, I think there's one a few blocks down on the same side but check out thon one growing out the tenement above the cafe... mental>

I wasn't being picky Rolo. but when I read your directions I was casting about in my mind up round about the block the Goat is on, and not further down the road.

I wasn't being picky Rolo. but when I read your directions I was casting about in my mind up round about the block the Goat is on, and not further down the road.

You were right, Maggs. Tis nearer the Ben Nevis. I kinda zone out between the bit of Argyle where the Mosque is (near the Goat and the Ashoka) and the bit where PC World is. Probably cos I"m half asleep on the way to/from w*rk... :lol: