Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Guest westtender

Gardening & Growing Stuff

Cardwell bloody so-called Garden Centre.

:lol:

Sorry nota, they might be awfy nice folks and an awfy nice wee centre if ye like that sorta thing.... but their plants are not good as far as I'm concerned. Out of 6 bedding plants I bought a month ago, two of them have keeled over and died, stone deid. And I can't remember now how many houseplants I've bought from there that have died.

Especially with regards to the houseplants, it's definitely not my fault. I have loads of them, and I'm good with my houseplants. They've been infested with something or other - only became really noticeable once they got home, and from a garden centre I shouldn't have to spend ages intimately examining them in the shop, now should I? - or they've just crisped up or rotted and keeled over in the pot.

Inconsistent. Not good. I've had much better results with stuff out of B&Q.

"Cardwell bloody so-called Garden Centre. "

A cry heard doon here on numerus okashuns....................................

I never used to buy stuff outta B&Q cos it aye looked a wee bit uncared for but this year I got some ivy-leaf geraniums for the hanging baskets and a new type of Salvia, and they've all been great :lol:

My upstairs neighbour did the hanging baskets last year, got them planted up at the ex-servicemen's centre down Greenock way and they were spectacular. My turn this year and oh lordy, I've made a total hash of 'em. Totally underplanted. They're truly pathetic :lol::):lol: More basket than plant, haha!

And btw, planted up lupins from seed this year for the first time. Anyone know where they are? Not a scooby this end.... :lol:

"Lookin Fur Loopins" could be a song in that

"I'll never stop lookin', never stop lookin' for lupins...."

Yeah, that fits. A wee remix for the garden-centre generation? LOL!

<also possibly the only song to mention Paisley in the lyrics.... :lol: >

th_IMG_4904.jpg

My back garden gate.

th_IMG_2825_1.jpg

A brugmansia blossom.

th_IMG_2805.jpg

Morning glory.

Loverly! My verandah has been blown about a bit and drenched this past week but I took some photographs before that so will aim to get a couple up on the thread.

Is that you home now, peony? Hope you had a great trip. How are the family?

I am back. I enjoyed the kids, who are all well and thriving. It takes me a bit to transition back to city life, though. My garden mostly survived, thanks to someone willing to fuss with it while I was gone and the temps were 100+.

Can't wait to see your pics, Pat.

I am back. I enjoyed the kids, who are all well and thriving.

Good news. Maybe we'll see some of the family snaps on the kids' thread?

It takes me a bit to transition back to city life, though. My garden mostly survived, thanks to someone willing to fuss with it while I was gone and the temps were 100+.

Friends indeed, peony.

Can't wait to see your pics, Pat.

I'll get onto that task tomorrow.

Nite.

Nice pics P! great to see you back

picture001.jpg

Fresias coming out,still winter

I know the picture is blurry, but this is not a sight seen every day. A coral (poisonous) snake eating a water moccasin (also poisonous). I found them this morning on my morning garden rounds.

th_IMG_4913.jpg

Click to enlarge thumbnail photo.

Good to see your pics, Peony. :o

Total washout here. A few tiny late-blooming rosebuds battered to death by the ra*n. The montbretia's doing its usual August thing, bloomin all over, a wee colourful interlude in a garden that's mostly just green now. Hypericum'll be giving it big yellow flowers again in September though, just as the leaves start to fall.

The rosemary's all over the place, as is the thyme, oregano and wild garlic. I aye thought they all needed loads of sun to thrive but apparently not... :rolleyes:

The smuggled Spanish honeysuckle had one flower this year, yay, after three years of just acclimatising. I've brought a seed pod back from another Spanish wild plant this year, the most gorgeous orange flower and scent--can't wait till next March to see how it does.... :lol:

I know the picture is blurry, but this is not a sight seen every day. A coral (poisonous) snake eating a water moccasin (also poisonous). I found them this morning on my morning garden rounds.

th_IMG_4913.jpg

Click to enlarge thumbnail photo.

What size are snakes P?

wow some size of a snake. We had a brown snake about 3ft long hanging around the backyard for a while

Don't brown snakes have a reputation for being sort of easily provoked to biting? Coral snakes don't, actually, unlike water mocassins or cottonmouths.

Don't brown snakes have a reputation for being sort of easily provoked to biting? Coral snakes don't, actually, unlike water mocassins or cottonmouths.

If they feel trapped or threatened they will attack otherwise they will get out of your road

I think most snakes have a vested interest in NOT biting. However sometimes some, especially pit vipers, seem to be quite off the mark as far as biting.

Ryan giving me a hand on the verandah - before the rain came down.

verandah_ryan-8792.jpg

Beautiful, Pat. I love geraniums. Ryan is getting to be quite a little man, isn't he?

The geraniums were pretty spectacular this year, peony, and the sweet peas are still blooming but the petunias never really came to much.

Ryan started school last week and was very excited about that.

He can be quite a help with the gardening but prefers to dig things up rather than plant. :(

I'll need to get him along to the allotment to dig out some of the potatoes.

That used to be one of my boys' favorite activity. I just had to stop them before they started throwing them at each other.

That used to be one of my boys' favorite activity. I just had to stop them before they started throwing them at each other.

:( That's boys, peony. Ryan has the acquisition trait and the problem is that he just wants to keep adding to his pile.

His sister, Caitlin, can't be bothered and finds the allotment boring. At least the working part of it; she is quite happy to wander around chatting, and probably distracting, the other plot holders.

I got a taxi yesterday and got chatting to the driver, who also had an allotment, he told me that on Christmas Day they went along to pick Brussel Sprouts for their meal. That has made me wonder if now is a good time to plant Brussels. I feel like planting but not sure what can go in at this time of the year. Leeks perhaps and maybe garlic?

:( That's boys, peony. Ryan has the acquisition trait and the problem is that he just wants to keep adding to his pile.

His sister, Caitlin, can't be bothered and finds the allotment boring. At least the working part of it; she is quite happy to wander around chatting, and probably distracting, the other plot holders.

I got a taxi yesterday and got chatting to the driver, who also had an allotment, he told me that on Christmas Day they went along to pick Brussel Sprouts for their meal. That has made me wonder if now is a good time to plant Brussels. I feel like planting but not sure what can go in at this time of the year. Leeks perhaps and maybe garlic?

Garlic, for sure. I grow some garlic in the rose patch to keep the insects off. I'm not sure if it works or not, but I like the garlic so it will stay. :lol:

Garlic, for sure. I grow some garlic in the rose patch to keep the insects off. I'm not sure if it works or not, but I like the garlic so it will stay. :(

Definitely works for the vampires, peony. :lol:

I must get planting.