Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End

Coming to Glasgow for a year- Need help

Hello Everybody!

I'm Joe from India and am coming to Glasgow for a year for my Masters. I need some information regarding acomadation and cost of living.

I will be studying at the Glasgow school of Art. I've heard it easier and cheaper to find accomadtion outside the campus, if that is so then what are the neighbourhoods I should look at for renting a studio apartment(budget)?

How much does it cost for a studio apartment per month? I know different areas have different rentals but I am just looking for an approximate figure.

What is Council Tax and what does A, B, C etc stand for?

What do you mean by DDS allowed/not allowed etc( I saw this on the adverts in this website)

Are there online student forums I can get some more info from?

How is the job scene out there like for part time work for students?

Thanks in Advance

Joe

Guest Brass Monkey

What is Council Tax and what does A, B, C etc stand for?

What do you mean by DDS allowed/not allowed etc( I saw this on the adverts in this website)

Joe

"Council Tax is a local charge on all domestic properties. The Tax is levied by Glasgow City Council to help fund local services such as schools, libraries and refuse collection."

More on Council Tax from http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/You...ilTax/index.htm

including 'banding' that's the A, B, C, D stuff and Students and the Council Tax.

No DDS is probably no DHSS which means the landlord doesn't want tenants who rely on the benefit system to pay the rent.

a studio flat will cost you AT LEAST £600 a month (most students flatshare to save money) try http://uk.easyroommate.com/..you should get a room for about £200 a month....garnethill, woodlands or charing cross are near the art school and you should be able to find a room no problem

and students do not pay council tax so you can just forget about that.

theres always work for students in bars,restraunts etc

Thank you for the informative replies :lol:

600GBP for a studio apartment!!! Isn't that a little steep? I've searched the classifieds on this website and it does have some furnished apartments for less than 500GBP. Is 600GBP all inclusive? I'm confused...

All I want is a room and a bathroom and if possible a kitchenette. The reason why I want a seperate unit is becasue I'd probably have my wife over for a couple of months and thought it would be too much of trouble for the people I'm sharing the apartment with.

Anyway I will do some more digging, appreciate the help.

Joe

studio flats are usually bigger i think....hence the more expensive.

youl get a normal house for about £500 no problem

but if u get a full house then the landlord might want you to pay the council tax....which could be a £100 or so a month depending on the size of the house

'studio flats are usually bigger i think....hence the more expensive.'

I thought the opposite, that studio flats were small flats that had a combined sittingroom and bedroom, seperate small kitchen and bathroom.

There's 'studio flats' and there's 'self-contained bedsits'. Don't ask me what the difference is.

I think studio flats are totally self-contained, whereas with the bedsit option, you might have your own sink, cooker and fridge in your room, but you would have to share a bathroom with others on your floor. That would be cheaper. It varies a lot from place to place.