Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
trebor58

glasgow empire

All this talk of gigs at the apollo makes me wonder if there is anyone who remembers the Empire in the late 50s we saw some good shows there and some not so good.I remember Jonny Duncan and the Bluegrass boys in particular as the night I saw him he had his leg in plaster and you could hear him coming from the wings.They had to prop him up so that he could perform.good though.

All this talk of gigs at the apollo makes me wonder if there is anyone who remembers the Empire in the late 50s we saw some good shows there and some not so good.I remember Jonny Duncan and the Bluegrass boys in particular as the night I saw him he had his leg in plaster and you could hear him coming from the wings.They had to prop him up so that he could perform.good though.

Whoops sorry dislexic keyboard

Was never in Empire used to go to 5 past 8 show at Alhambra . I suppose its gone tO

What ever happened to St Andrews Hall It was burnt down was it ever rebuilt?

Was never in Empire used to go to 5 past 8 show at Alhambra . I suppose its gone tO

What ever happened to St Andrews Hall It was burnt down was it ever rebuilt?

as the Royal Concert hall in terms of purpose and as the third extension to the Mitchell Library which included a theatre on the Site of the St. Andrew's Hall.

TGSD00269_m.jpg

GranvilleStreet.jpg

I think the Alhambra was on Waterloo/Wellington St corner, Oz. Long gone I'm afraid.

As for the Royal Concert Hall, Dex is correct, the new-build at the top of Buchanan Street took over capacity-wise from both Alhambra and St Andrews Hall and is a partner venue to the newly refurbished City Halls and Old Fruitmarket in Merchant City.

The Pavilion, the Kings and the Theatre Royal still flourish.

More here;

http://www.glasgowconcerthalls.com/

I think the Alhambra was on Waterloo/Wellington St corner, Oz. Long gone I'm afraid.

Yeah Diagonally opposite Waterloo Street bus station where I used to get Western bus to Newton Mearns. Bet its gone too The bus station ... the bus having gone is a given It always had just left.