Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
rolo tomassi

Gigs at Glasgow Apollo

Go on, share :lol:

I'll start (and BTW nobody DARE get pedantic, Dex, if anyone's out by a year or three...) :lol::lol:

1972; The Stones. Some tech got a bit carried away wi' the smoke machine, couldn't see the stage for the whole of 'Angie'. We were practically overcome by fumes even up in the gods. My ticket was £1 and ten new pee. Still have it somewhere...

1973; Rory Gallagher. That was mighty. Minimal stage dressing consisted of a big Guinness banner of the time, defaced to G is for Gallagher. Entire audience were clad in plaid shirts and ripped jeans.

1975; Todd Rundgren. All manner of weird 'props' like cardboard pyramids appeared from the rigging. Possibly one inspiration for Spinal Tap in years to come..... ;) But he sure wrote some brilliant songs...

1975; Thin Lizzy. Shit gig. Shit afterparty at the former McDonald Hotel on the soo side. They were totally up themselves. Not good. Walked home from Eastwood to WE thon night. Took about three hours.... :rolleyes:

1976; Bowie. Great gig. Didn't have tickets but we had some drinks with his crew --who we met clubbing at Maestro's the night before; they offered to pest-list us for the morra's gig. Needless to say, we well-brought up West End Girls ran away home at the end of the gig. Hahahahaha! :lol:

1977; Blondie. Parallel Lines tour. But a pipe band? WTF? Still play that album sometimes. Pure, sublime pop.

1974 seems to have gone astray for some reason. Working on it..... :blink:

Go on, share :lol:

I'll start (and BTW nobody DARE get pedantic, Dex, if anyone's out by a year or three...) :lol::lol:

1972; The Stones. Some tech got a bit carried away wi' the smoke machine, couldn't see the stage for the whole of 'Angie'. We were practically overcome by fumes even up in the gods. My ticket was £1 and ten new pee. Still have it somewhere...

1973; Rory Gallagher. That was mighty. Minimal stage dressing consisted of a big Guinness banner of the time, defaced to G is for Gallagher. Entire audience were clad in plaid shirts and ripped jeans.

1975; Todd Rundgren. All manner of weird 'props' like cardboard pyramids appeared from the rigging. Possibly one inspiration for Spinal Tap in years to come..... ;) But he sure wrote some brilliant songs...

1975; Thin Lizzy. Shit gig. Shit afterparty at the former McDonald Hotel on the soo side. They were totally up themselves. Not good. Walked home from Eastwood to WE thon night. Took about three hours.... :rolleyes:

1976; Bowie. Great gig. Didn't have tickets but we gals met his crew clubbing at Maestro's the night before and hinted at all sorts if they pest-listed us. Needless to say, we well-brought up West End Girls ran away at the end of the gig. Hahahahaha! :lol:

1977; Blondie. Parallel Lines tour. But a pipe band? WTF? Still play that album sometimes. Pure, sublime pop.

1974 seems to have gone astray for some reason. Working on it..... :blink:

Lots and lots but probably forgotten some as well as dates and details.

Most impressive would be Sensational Alex Harvey Band.

Exciting stuff from Lynard Skynard and The Allman Brothers

Thrilled to see Bryan Ferry with Roxy Music - also served him at The Albany, where I was a waitress in the cocktail bar. Got loads of comps.

10 CC - good music - wee bit staid

Donovan - little boy lost on big stage.

Frankie Miller- home crowd loved him

Nils Lofgren - only remember the trampoline.

David Essex - lovely to look at but not the best voice.

Also recollect seeing Crosby Stills Nash and Young but don't think the four of them were there.

Johnny Cash - think I saw him there a couple of times with June Carter.

Going to check with one of my brothers and my sister 'cause went to gigs with them.

Never been there ...... due to living hundreds of miles away, But I have a great boot of Alice Cooper - mid 80s gig. Must dig it out and give it a play.

Lots and lots but probably forgotten some as well as dates and details.

Most impressive would be Sensational Alex Harvey Band.

Exciting stuff from Lynard Skynard and The Allman Brothers

Thrilled to see Bryan Ferry with Roxy Music - also served him at The Albany, where I was a waitress in the cocktail bar. Got loads of comps.

10 CC - good music - wee bit staid

Donovan - little boy lost on big stage.

Frankie Miller- home crowd loved him

Nils Lofgren - only remember the trampoline.

David Essex - lovely to look at but not the best voice.

Also recollect seeing Crosby Stills Nash and Young but don't think the four of them were there.

Johnny Cash - think I saw him there a couple of times with June Carter.

Going to check with one of my brothers and my sister 'cause went to gigs with them.

Re Ferry, I was outside the Albany when he and Manzanera came back from some club. Ferry wis completely slaughtered whilst Phil wis as sober as yer proverbial (editing out annoying stuff of no relevance to discussion)

Re Lofgren, I wis there that night an right enuff, the trampoline springs tae mind

Re Skynyrd, absolutely outstanding and blew ma heid away (as above Pat)

Re SAHB, all I can say is I think the man was genius, (as above Pat)

Seen many many bands at the Apollo with my very first being a triple bill, The Arrows, Cozy Powells Hammer & Suzi Quatro (still got the ticket, I know (edit) what an anorak)

You might like to have a wee browse through this

[url=http://www.inthewilderness.com/apollo/]

Re Ferry, I was outside the Albany when he and Manzanera came back from some club. Ferry wis completely slaughtered whilst Phil wis as sober as yer proverbial (editing out annoying stuff of no relevance to discussion)

Re Lofgren, I wis there that night an right enuff, the trampoline springs tae mind

Re Skynyrd, absolutely outstanding and blew ma heid away (as above Pat)

Re SAHB, all I can say is I think the man was genius, (as above Pat)

Seen many many bands at the Apollo with my very first being a triple bill, The Arrows, Cozy Powells Hammer & Suzi Quatro (still got the ticket, I know (edit) what an anorak)

You might like to have a wee browse through this

[url=http://www.inthewilderness.com/apollo/]

I'm amazed, Alex. I really thought that you were far, far, too young.

More coming back to me: Rod Stewart and Sutherland Brothers and Quiver.

Rod Stewart stayed at The Albany as well. Bit full of himself and not a big tipper.

Was at the very last gig there. Can't remember what year it was, but the Style Council had the building shaking and people were taking momentos with them from the moment they opened the doors.

Don't think there was a seat left intact by the end of the night!

Also saw Kid Creole and his Coconuts there...and what a lovely bunch they had! I'm still drooling to this day.

Simply Red, the Rezillos or was it the Revillos, the Stranglers, Siouxsie and the Banshees, the Boomtown Rats, the Police and a few more I can't remember.

Most of them I went to with my older brother.

I hate to be pedantic but I can't recall the Allman Brothers band playing the Apollo.

No apology required, Dex, need somebody to keep us right. In my mind and memory The Allman Brothers and Skynard seem to have morphed into one.

I was also going to say that I saw The Stranglers but I've got a feeling that was actually in Edinburgh.

Guest westtender

Too young; never set foot in the place. One of the greatest regrets of my life.

Guest westtender

1975; Thin Lizzy. Shit gig. Shit afterparty at the former McDonald Hotel on the soo side. They were totally up themselves. Not good. Walked home from Eastwood to WE thon night. Took about three hours.... :lol:

Gary Moore's on at the Carling Academy tonite

Are we going off topic? Have you put this in the Calendar, Westtie?

Are we going off topic? Have you put this in the Calendar, Westtie?

The link with Thin Lizzy has been explained to me by my friend, and yours, The Jolly Jumjoogler.

He wasn't in the Lizzy band I saw. Guitarist was Scott Gorham, I think Gary Moore joined em later?

Spent many a night there best remembered being the 3 nights of Stautus Quo when they recorded their live album and AC/DC in 78 when they appeared on stage in Scotland strips (Argentina world cup, Allys army an all that shite) and booted balls into the audience. It was also the first for seeing a guitarist using a radio lead when Angus got onto Bon Scott`s shoulders and they ran through the stalls and balcony with Angus belting out a visious riff!!

I'm amazed, Alex. I really thought that you were far, far, too young.

Who knows, ye might`ve even served mi a pint at the Albany!!

Spent many a night there best remembered being the 3 nights of Stautus Quo when they recorded their live album and AC/DC in 78 when they appeared on stage in Scotland strips (Argentina world cup, Allys army an all that shite) and booted balls into the audience. It was also the first for seeing a guitarist using a radio lead when Angus got onto Bon Scott`s shoulders and they ran through the stalls and balcony with Angus belting out a visious riff!!

Were you there at all three Quo nights, Alex? Why would a person DO that to themselves? :lol:

A radio mic doesn't have a lead btw. That's the whole fVcking point of it. :lol: How odd that you missed that on the night...

I think Alecm meant a guitar lead which plugs into a radio transmitter secured to the guitarist's belt.

sennheiser_freeportfp72instrument.jpg

Do you think it'll catch on again? Do you have to buy the whole shebang?

He wasn't in the Lizzy band I saw. Guitarist was Scott Gorham, I think Gary Moore joined em later?

Lizzy Guitarists.

Eric Bell

Gary Moore

Scott Gorham & Brian Roberston

Scott Gorham & Gary Moore

Scott Gorham & Midge Ure

Scott Gorham & Snowy White

Scott Gorham & John Sykes.

In that order !

Guest westtender

Naw I know, he widnae have been in Lizzy at that time.

Guest westtender

Lucky you!

Modern life is rubbish.

Do you think it'll catch on again? Do you have to buy the whole shebang?

Unless you just want to broadcast to taxi drivers but you need the guitar lead to carry the guitar signal to the transmitter and then you need a receiver to get the signal to the amp and you need a power unit for the receiver.

I think Alecm meant a guitar lead which plugs into a radio transmitter secured to the guitarist's belt.

sennheiser_freeportfp72instrument.jpg

Dex is right, and I know the difference between the 2. It`s just that is what they called it back in the days of black & white!!