Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
rolo tomassi

Easter Nostalgia

Well.....call me old-fashioned..but when I was a kid, Easter was not about a religious message, nor was it about expensively packaged, ridiculously conceived trinkets like those in the shops since the second week of January. It was about;

1) looking forward to the day Creme Eggs came into the shops...(still do, if truth be telt)

2) making bonnets at school with yellow and green crepe paper, trying and failing to make daffodils wi lots of paste that didn'y stick and got all over your uniform so's your mum went bonkers when you got home...and spent her weekend trying to wash/iron it off...

3) and on Good Friday, getting your hard-pressed mum to hard-boil a dozen of eggs, which, wi a mum who remembered rationing, took a fair bit of persuasion. Talk about couldn'y boil an egg; we only had electric, not gas, so ours were aye all cracked afore we even startit on the artistic interpretation..... :lol:

So, onto the fablon-covered kitchen table come the water paints. Somebody's put them away all manky so you have to clean em up first. Trying to clean a paintbox is just sheer HELL, innit? ;) And naebdy's cleaned the brushes either, they've gone solid and look like mutant tulips wi a leaf or three at 45 degrees.

So, take yer cracked hardboiled egg atween finger and thumb then try to paint the ###### to look like your da/an Easter chick/Marc Bolan/whatever.....and what happens?

You get a third of a way round the egg, the paint drips down it, into the sides of your nails, up your nails, down your hands and up your sleeves.Then onto the kitchen table, off the edge and all over yer school uniform. Your ma kicks off.

AND your wee bro and sis are using the same jar of watter, so your black paint mixes wi their green/yella whatever and Marc Bolan ends up wi khaki hair.Not a good look :lol:

So prop the pathetic things up in the egg box to dry, then retire to room to listen to FAB208 and curse the fact your Marc Bolan egg does not do his godliness justice...

Next morning, gather bro, sis and pathetic eggs and go up the garden for Easter Egg Rolling Eggstravaganza. Tis raining and blowing a mighty gale of course. Go back in, take three hours to manoevre bro and sis into yellow (Easter!) cagoules.

At last! Roll those eggs!....Except father has neglected to cut grass with his K-Tel Grass Magician.....so eggs come to rapid halt after about 18 inches, if that. Decide to roll them down front stairs instead. At step 5 outta 22, cue one dozen craply painted eggs all broken up into wee tiny bits; mother kicks off and makes us sweep up the mess.

Clearly no religion in our house. I look forward to Easter as a w*rking person cos it means a week off. And a Creme Egg or three. Dead shallow, me. ;)

Well.....call me old-fashioned..but when I was a kid, Easter was not about a religious message, nor was it about expensively packaged, ridiculously conceived trinkets like those in the shops since the second week of January. It was about;

1) looking forward to the day Creme Eggs came into the shops...(still do, if truth be telt)

2) making bonnets at school with yellow and green crepe paper, trying and failing to make daffodils wi lots of paste that didn'y stick and got all over your uniform so's your mum went bonkers when you got home...and spent her weekend trying to wash/iron it off...

3) and on Good Friday, getting your hard-pressed mum to hard-boil a dozen of eggs, which, wi a mum who remembered rationing, took a fair bit of persuasion. Talk about couldn'y boil an egg; we only had electric, not gas, so ours were aye all cracked afore we even startit on the artistic interpretation..... :lol:

So, onto the fablon-covered kitchen table come the water paints. Somebody's put them away all manky so you have to clean em up first. Trying to clean a paintbox is just sheer HELL, innit? ;) And naebdy's cleaned the brushes either, they've gone solid and look like mutant tulips wi a leaf or three at 45 degrees.

So, take yer cracked hardboiled egg atween finger and thumb then try to paint the ###### to look like your da/an Easter chick/Marc Bolan/whatever.....and what happens?

You get a third of a way round the egg, the paint drips down it, into the sides of your nails, up your nails, down your hands and up your sleeves.Then onto the kitchen table, off the edge and all over yer school uniform. Your ma kicks off.

AND your wee bro and sis are using the same jar of watter, so your black paint mixes wi their green/yella whatever and Marc Bolan ends up wi khaki hair.Not a good look :lol:

So prop the pathetic things up in the egg box to dry, then retire to room to listen to FAB208 and curse the fact your Marc Bolan egg does not do his godliness justice...

Next morning, gather bro, sis and pathetic eggs and go up the garden for Easter Egg Rolling Eggstravaganza. Tis raining and blowing a mighty gale of course. Go back in, take three hours to manoevre bro and sis into yellow (Easter!) cagoules.

At last! Roll those eggs!....Except father has neglected to cut grass with his K-Tel Grass Magician.....so eggs come to rapid halt after about 18 inches, if that. Decide to roll them down front stairs instead. At step 5 outta 22, cue one dozen craply painted eggs all broken up into wee tiny bits; mother kicks off and makes us sweep up the mess.

Clearly no religion in our house. I look forward to Easter as a w*rking person cos it means a week off. And a Creme Egg or three. Dead shallow, me. ;)

Home made Easter bonnet competitions at the ABC Minors :P and naw, I never won, on account of the fact that mine was made oot of a dairylee cheese lid, a ribbon and a wollen pompom aff my brothers ski hat. I thought it looked great :P

Ah kin mind wan Easter, when mah aulder cuzzin Jim came tae stiy wi' us ower Easter weekend. Jim wiz the wild boay o' the family an' bein an' only child, tended tae get away wi' a lotty things, which did mah faither's nut in.

Imajin mah auld man's face then, when he came intae wur bedroom oan the Sunday mornin, tae find us firin steel-tipped arras et wur eggs, which wur balanced oan wanny the guid chairs (only yazed if we hud visitors fur a meal)

Ra bow 'n' arras wur swiftly confiscaytit an' it wiz way efter dinner time afore we goat ony o' wur choklit eggs back.

Guest westtender

Right.

OK, wis embdy of yese here brought up cafflik?

I was, and what I remember is the fruitless attempts of the tweedy spinsters, attempting to insist to us every year that easter was meant to be The Biggest Event on the relijuss calendar...

Aye Right

and they tried to make ye feel guilty after ever xmas holiday for every present ye had got at xmas

Easter was The Thing because it was far mair important than anything that had gone before apparently in the makin of wir religion.

But I don't remember anything at all in the way of actually rolling eggs - or indeed anything to do with actual hen eggs. All we took to do with was choclate eggs. No real eggs, no painting, no leaving the hoose to roll them. Not me, not any of my pals. Not my parents or granny insisting.

And I am of a generation - prolly the first - where Creme Eggs were readily available all year round. A former amour of mine was a pure martyr to thum so he was, and sore afflicted was his plooky visage

Guest westtender

mine was made oot of a dairylee cheese lid, a ribbon and a wollen pompom aff my brothers ski hat. I thought it looked great ;)

:lol:

:lol:

There is no way that a DairyLea cheese lid could possibly fit any chiyeld's napper in any sort of a becoming fashion

No real eggs, no painting, no leaving the hoose to roll them. Not me, not any of my pals.

We did the real eggs thing ivry year. Bil't thum, paintit thum an' rolled thum doon the nearest grassy hill.

Guest westtender

I certainly am sure that it was not part of my easter - never has been.

Rolling eggs doon the nearest grassy hill is a terrible waste of an egg. I've seen the devastation!, on e.g. Irvine Beach Park - fortunately the dug found all the many hunners of bits and had a feast.

:D

Rolling eggs doon the nearest grassy hill is a terrible waste of an egg.

Trust me, we nivver wastit the bil't eggs. Bear in mind it wiz a grassy hill, so the shell wiz merely bash't in by the time the egg goat tae the baotum. We then peeled thum an' ate thum.

Slight different fae rolo wiz whit we did when it rained. Insteed o' gaun oot in the rain, we rolled the paintit eggs alang the carpit, an' up agin the skirtin board, tae crack thum.

Nae doot Nota wull be oan soon askin whit a carpit is. :D

In Brizzie we couldnae hae Chocky easter eggs they meltit in ra caur on ra wae hame. :D

In Brizzie we couldnae hae Chocky easter eggs they meltit in ra caur on ra wae hame. :(

Could you not just have taken one slab of beer out of the cooler box; just that once :D;)

Could you not just have taken one slab of beer out of the cooler box; just that once :D;)

that's about as close to heresy as it comes in these parts Sam...Aussie men remove beer from fridges under absolutely NO circumstances. :(

that's about as close to heresy as it comes in these parts Sam...Aussie men remove beer from fridges under absolutely NO circumstances. :D

Whit? No even tae drink it? Seems a bitty a waste.

SHOCK HORROR ........ pass the smelling salts Mildred I feel quite faint ...HERESY!!!!

Only on special occasions like to celebrate day-time &/or night-time.

BTW its an ESKY no a Cooler box in NZ its a Chilly-bin

:D

usually when they remove it to drink it it is quickly replaced with another so the fridge space can't be taken up by less important items such as food and condiments

Ideal Easter gift for the man in your life!!

10536.jpg

10539.jpg

NB fruit & sangers can be replaced with a dozen cans. With careful packing can hold a slab!!! (ie 24 375ml cans) Ideal for small family picnics. Top can be used as a seat or a table to hold suitable food ie beer nuts & chips (crisps to you Brits).

NB food has to be in small packets as they have to be eaten fast due to the short time that lid remainsclosed

We loved Easter when we were kids. We all got chocolate eggs, an enormous treat, as we would have given up sweets for Lent. The girls, me and my sister Catherine, also got new dresses and hats!!! for mass on Easter Sunday.

We had a special dinner - chicken - a big treat in those days. We decorated our hard-boiled eggs and then we went off to roll them down a hill with all the other kids. Once they were smashed we picked the shell off, and the grass, and ate them. It always seemed to be sunny.

I still love Easter and we always roll the eggs. Last year we, my son John, Caitlin and Ryan, went up the Old Kilpatrick hills with lots of eggs and rolled them amid flurries of snow. That time John had a new idea, to demonstrate to the kids how strong shells are, so the eggs were not boiled. I'll tell you, it was amazing how many times we rolled some of them before they broke. That Easter Sunday was very chilly but the scientific experiment ingredient was enjoyable. :D

Hope we get some sunshine this year. I've got some lovely colourful feathers to stick on the eggs when we decorate them - so maybe have some boiled and decorated and take along the unboiled ones - just to remind us that what appears to be vulnerable is often very strong.

:(

;)

There is no way that a DairyLea cheese lid could possibly fit any chiyeld's napper in any sort of a becoming fashion

Noo ye tell me :D

Mr Harper and I have very different memories of Easter. I was always taught that the egg was symbolic of the stone being rolled away from the tomb. This makes Mr Harper blink in astonishment. He was taught that the egg was a symol or renewal and fertility.

As for Cadbury's cream eggs.... they wurnae invented when I was a wean and neither were shop bought bunnets. :lol:

I remember many many years ago going to Drive-In movies at Capalaba in Brisbane. We had a Chrysler Valiant station wagon & with the back seats down made agreat bed for the kids. This particular night fog/ low cloud rolled in & everyone had to move nearer & nearer the screen to see the movie through the fog. Eventually the drive-in people gave up & stopped the film & gave everyone free passes.. Bet the couples up the back in the shaggen-wagons hadnt even noticed.

I remember many many years ago going to Drive-In movies at Capalaba in Brisbane. We had a Chrysler Valiant station wagon & with the back seats down made agreat bed for the kids. This particular night fog/ low cloud rolled in & everyone had to move nearer & nearer the screen to see the movie through the fog. Eventually the drive-in people gave up & stopped the film & gave everyone free passes.. Bet the couples up the back in the shaggen-wagons hadnt even noticed.

.. and whit has that got to do the price of Easter mince, I ask myself. :D

Easter eggs, fog... drive in movies.. nope, am no seeing it ataw.

Trust me, we nivver wastit the bil't eggs. Bear in mind it wiz a grassy hill, so the shell wiz merely bash't in by the time the egg goat tae the baotum. We then peeled thum an' ate thum.

Slight different fae rolo wiz whit we did when it rained. Insteed o' gaun oot in the rain, we rolled the paintit eggs alang the carpit, an' up agin the skirtin board, tae crack thum.

Nae doot Nota wull be oan soon askin whit a carpit is. :rolleyes:

Izzat ra same as Deep Pile Axminster? coz that's whut we hud in oor hoose :lol:

.. and whit has that got to do the price of Easter mince, I ask myself. :rolleyes:

Easter eggs, fog... drive in movies.. nope, am no seeing it ataw.

Oh didnt I say it was Easter Saturday

Noo ye tell me :rolleyes:

Mr Harper and I have very different memories of Easter. I was always taught that the egg was symbolic of the stone being rolled away from the tomb. This makes Mr Harper blink in astonishment. He was taught that the egg was a symol or renewal and fertility.

As for Cadbury's cream eggs.... they wurnae invented when I was a wean and neither were shop bought bunnets. :)

the egg representing the stone being rolled away is also my memory