Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
Pat

The Men of Lyon Street

Request for information from Ian Mitchell Unlocking Maryhill

I am looking for information as to the possible current location of a memorial plaque which use to be on the walls on the long vanished Garscube Bar in Garscube Road. This commemorated The Men of Lyon Street, a street off Garscube Road, who fought in World war One. Over 200 men from this street volunteered for the war and Lyon Street became famous as the most decorated street in Britain.Since the demolition of the pub in 1962, the location of the plaque has been lost.

Request for information from Ian Mitchell Unlocking Maryhill

I am looking for information as to the possible current location of a memorial plaque which use to be on the walls on the long vanished Garscube Bar in Garscube Road. This commemorated The Men of Lyon Street, a street off Garscube Road, who fought in World war One. Over 200 men from this street volunteered for the war and Lyon Street became famous as the most decorated street in Britain.Since the demolition of the pub in 1962, the location of the plaque has been lost.

Pat I have a couple of other websites trying to sniff this one out. First bit of advice was Lyon street was in Woodside, not maryhill (snobby sods) but was also known locally as Tiger Street (perhaps a pun on Lyon or as a nod to the heroics of the inhabitants). No sign on the plague yet but please let me know if you find anything.

Pat I have a couple of other websites trying to sniff this one out. First bit of advice was Lyon street was in Woodside, not maryhill (snobby sods) but was also known locally as Tiger Street (perhaps a pun on Lyon or as a nod to the heroics of the inhabitants). No sign on the plague yet but please let me know if you find anything.

Thanks, Sam. I'm sure that all this effort will combine to get results.

Pat I have a couple of other websites trying to sniff this one out. First bit of advice was Lyon street was in Woodside, not maryhill (snobby sods)

It's not being snobby - Woodside has always been a totally separate district. Woodside was taken in to Glasgow in 1846, while Maryhill was an independent police burgh from 1856 until it was annexed to Glasgow in 1912. On the ward maps on the Glasgow Story for 1913 Maryhill is in Ward 25 and Lyon Street is in Ward 16, just behind Raglan Street.

Someone had up a notice in Woodside Library looking for info about Lyon St at least a couple of years ago. May have been Ian Mitchell.