Pat's Guide to Glasgow West End
Sign in to follow this  
samscafeamericain

Kiddies parties

I've just dropped my daughter off at the local ski club where she has been invited to celebrate one of her wee pals birthdays, they are having a toboggan-tube party. It looks brilliant and the kids are having a whale of a time whizzing down the slope.

Just thinking its a helluva difference from pass the parcel and smartie and cake eating until you were nearly sick that I experienced as a kiddie. More a family experience in my time, now an event.

I've just dropped my daughter off at the local ski club where she has been invited to celebrate one of her wee pals birthdays, they are having a toboggan-tube party. It looks brilliant and the kids are having a whale of a time whizzing down the slope.

Just thinking its a helluva difference from pass the parcel and smartie and cake eating until you were nearly sick that I experienced as a kiddie. More a family experience in my time, now an event.

Very commercialized these days. Means that some kids will have fancy and expensive outings with loads of weans invited, then other parents, without the cash to splash, feel guilty that their kids are being deprived 'cause they aren't filling the coffers of 'Slide 'n' Shoot', or whatever.

Bring back ice cream and jelly, dumpling and musical chairs.

You have a wean, what do you do on their birthday? Is it everyone round to your bit for an old-fashioned partay?

Good on you, if so. :lol:

My wean's been invited over the last ten years or so to some pretty outlandish birthday partays, from the standard eat-s*it-til-you-vomit-McDonalds dos in the 90s to the more usual cinema outings/ski-boarding/paintball partays of late.

She's yet to be invited to one that does those totally shite stretch-Hummer wans---- for which I thank (insert name of chosen deity) :lol:

Our wean is extremely fortunate in that we have about 20 square fit of garden, into which we chuck the lot of them wi a few sausage rolls and a mezzopizza from L*ttle It*ly, on her birthday, rain or shine. And me and Mr T aye let them come indoors if it snows, which has been known in June..... :lol: We're nice that way. ;)

But maybes some parents don't have the space or inclination to invite the wee darlings to a house partay. Far easier not to have to bother heating up their food, clearing up those pesky paper plates and cups, never mind the health and safety issues where another parent will sue yo ass off if you serve anything their wean's allergic to....

Or maybe there's a conspiracy of competition as to who can spend the most money on their kids' do. ????

Like it ###### well matters. :lol:

The norm here seems to be to have the party in a local park with bbq facilities that way kids can run riot, adults can stay and have a chat and your house is not destroyed :lol:

Of course depends on the weather. Unfortunately both my kids have winter birthdays so the park option is not always a good one (though we have done it with snow suits and all!). We have done the home parties - last time I even traced out a large picture of a Car Bear and cut out 15 different belly patches to play pin-the-belly-patch-on-the-bear (I know - too much time on my hands) - which are fun but tiring and we have also done parties at indoor play centres and fairy shops which actually work out to cost about as much as catering for your own party but is much more relaxing.

Still, this is all in the under 5's bracket so we'll see how they go as they get older. Living rurally there isn't much call for elaborate parties with entertainment etc (not available I mean). All they want are presents and junk food. What's so hard about it?

Jus people passing the time of day yacking; but clearly it mattered for you to go into paragraphs worth.

I believe the final comment in Rolo's post may have related solely to the previous sentence rather than to the subject as a whole.

Caitlin and Ryan, our wee ones, get invited to both 'outing' and traditional parties. Many of the former will be in council flats where there is not a lot of room and no garden but the word 'party' is enough to put them in high spirits.

I think the outing parties should be avoided as they cost a fortune and parents, or grandparents, don't get to join in the fun. It's the same in these indoor play areas - the children play behind a net screen and the parents sit apart - reading their magazines and drinking coffee. Boring and worrying, even when the staff are pretty good, I like to keep an eye on them myself. Probably the only good thing about these places is that they create employment.

We had a great day up the Hills yesterday, never saw another soul, had a picnic around the fire we made, jumped burns, climbed over gates, sank in the mud - Ryan had his 'mud boots' on (his name). We had great discussions about why there were no lambs, where the best secret place was? and stuff like that. Lots of exercise and fresh air.

A hike up the hills and a picnic would be a great, and free, birthday party. Beats the pants off forking out millions of pounds to take them to the pictures and McD's

Rolo, I'm still cringing at the mention of the 'Hummers'.

You have a wean, what do you do on their birthday? Is it everyone round to your bit for an old-fashioned partay?

Good on you, if so. :lol:

My wean's been invited over the last ten years or so to some pretty outlandish birthday partays, from the standard eat-s*it-til-you-vomit-McDonalds dos in the 90s to the more usual cinema outings/ski-boarding/paintball partays of late.

She's yet to be invited to one that does those totally shite stretch-Hummer wans---- for which I thank (insert name of chosen deity) :lol:

Our wean is extremely fortunate in that we have about 20 square fit of garden, into which we chuck the lot of them wi a few sausage rolls and a mezzopizza from L*ttle It*ly, on her birthday, rain or shine. And me and Mr T aye let them come indoors if it snows, which has been known in June..... :lol:We're nice that way. ;)

But maybes some parents don't have the space or inclination to invite the wee darlings to a house partay. Far easier not to have to bother heating up their food, clearing up those pesky paper plates and cups, never mind the health and safety issues where another parent will sue yo ass off if you serve anything their wean's allergic to....

Or maybe there's a conspiracy of competition as to who can spend the most money on their kids' do. ????

Like it ###### well matters. :lol:

You should keep remindin ra wean about how much ye spoil her and the sacrifices ye make, so she kin pay ye back wan day ;)

Caitlin and Ryan, our wee ones, get invited to both 'outing' and traditional parties. Many of the former will be in council flats where there is not a lot of room and no garden but the word 'party' is enough to put them in high spirits.

I think the outing parties should be avoided as they cost a fortune and parents, or grandparents, don't get to join in the fun. It's the same in these indoor play areas - the children play behind a net screen and the parents sit apart - reading their magazines and drinking coffee. Boring and worrying, even when the staff are pretty good, I like to keep an eye on them myself. Probably the only good thing about these places is that they create employment.

We had a great day up the Hills yesterday, never saw another soul, had a picnic around the fire we made, jumped burns, climbed over gates, sank in the mud - Ryan had his 'mud boots' on (his name). We had great discussions about why there were no lambs, where the best secret place was? and stuff like that. Lots of exercise and fresh air.

A hike up the hills and a picnic would be a great, and free, birthday party. Beats the pants off forking out millions of pounds to take them to the pictures and McD's

Rolo, I'm still cringing at the mention of the 'Hummers'.

Jings Pat, kin ye take me & MRs N on a day oot like that, we'll be nae trubble really :lol:

The local indoor play arena in Greenock/Gourock diz really well wae these kids parties that they tried tae get an alkyhol lishensh so they parents could get a drink or six while waychin ra weans

I believe the final comment in Rolo's post may have related solely to the previous sentence rather than to the subject as a whole.

ahhhhhh, if it did, whoops and sorry Rolo. If it didnae, I stand by my indignation.

It's greart being given advice on bringing up kids by someone you would not trust with a budgie.

here's a few facts of life.

Poor kids don't normally get invited to parties held by richer kids. If they are they'll bring a big present. If they hold a party it will be expensive because that's what poor people spend their money on , their kids. As well as fags and the lottery.

Kids who attend a private nursery won't know any poor kids. Children who attend Jordanhill School won't embarrass their tight parents by insisting on parties.

DEXTER SAINT CLAIR! WHO wouldn't you trust wi a budgie? Everyone here's dead worried now that you meant them! :lol:

<soz, folks, just breaking up here at that line of his..........bliddy hilarious! hahahahaha! ahahahahaha!>

Guest westtender

It's greart being given advice on bringing up kids by someone you would not trust with a budgie.

here's a few facts of life.

Poor kids don't normally get invited to parties held by richer kids. If they are they'll bring a big present. If they hold a party it will be expensive because that's what poor people spend their money on , their kids. As well as fags and the lottery.

Kids who attend a private nursery won't know any poor kids. Children who attend Jordanhill School won't embarrass their tight parents by insisting on parties.

I pity any wean that's been lumped wi you.

Guest Kelvin Groove

I have to say the budgie comment made me laugh a lot too.

Don't know who it was aimed at, it stands alone!

It's cracking. :P

Jings Pat, kin ye take me & MRs N on a day oot like that, we'll be nae trubble really :P

Sure thing, Nota, will we meet you at The Cut? :D

Sure thing, Nota, will we meet you at The Cut? :P

If you like, we'll bring ra dugs, although I think Ryan may prefer ra beach at ra marina, reasonable sandy beach bordered by woods, wae ra added attrakshun of seein the boats.

Ye kin light fires onra beach tae.